New
Find
Notify
Tools

How old were you
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How old were you when you went on your first safari?
I am now 28 yrs old, I decided that I would go on safari two years ago after dreaming of Africa my whole life. The trouble is Africa is still a few years off.
I just wonder how long it took some of you guys before you actually got there. Did some of you get to go as kids with your dad or granddad? Or did you slug it out a few years first?

Posts: 109 | Location: Fort Worth, TX | Registered: 20 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was 32 with a one year-old at home when I went the first time.

I was gone four weeks, and when I got back, my daughter didn't recognize me at first! [Embarrassed]

Go as soon as you can. I've never met anyone who regretted going, but a lot of people who regretted NOT going.

George

[ 10-07-2003, 22:00: Message edited by: GeorgeS ]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't remember that far back, but I will tell you that 95% of the people that go to Africa for the first time are well into their 40's and mostly in their 50s...They are retired or simi retired with kids out of school and they are enjoying the fruits of thier labor....

Posts: 41868 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Wise1,

Welcome to the forum.

Like my friend George, I was 32 when I went on my first safari.

I had a break of 11 years before I managed to go again.

Ever since then, I managed one safari a year, and on one year I was lucky enough to go twice.

Now it has become an annual trip.

Posts: 67008 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been dreaming of it all of my life and still trying to get it together. One day!

Doug

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll be 26 next summer. God willing I will be in Namibia June 11-24.

I've wanted to go since I was about 12 (magazine got me). It became more real in college when I started meeting people who had gone. I started saving as soon as I got my first post-college job, and *poof* 3 1/2 years later I'll be there. I've also managed to arrange my income so that I can make it an annual or semi-annual trip, until something drastic changes in my life.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
I was 45 (actually closer to 46) and it was a life-changing event. I have to thank Jeff Cooper for the inspiration to take the plunge.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Haven't gone yet, but I'll be in Namibia at the same time as Travis: June 12-23. I'll be a couple weeks shy of 30 when I leave. My little girl will be a year and a half by then. I hope she remembers me when I return. I'm dragging my dad along for his first safari - he'll be almost 54. With some luck, I won't have to wait 'til then to go on my next one!

I plan on a DG safari in 2007 or 2008, then another plains game safari with the wife and kid(s) some time after that. I doubt the finances will allow more frequent trips than that, but we'll make the best of the ones we go on!

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
I was 38 on my first trip....I am now 40. I wish I would have went sooner and I can't wait to get back. I have been able to make two trips so far....It is like no other place on earth. Don't miss this if this is something you wish to do...I sat in the hospital last week... while in my room...all i did was plan my next trip. Don't wait for "some day"...it may never come.

urdubob

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My wife and I made our first trip this September, I turned 40 in May, she is ??? [Eek!] What? Do you think I'm crazy enough to post her age [Razz] She might read this [Big Grin]

Africa '05!!!!

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
I was 23 when I went to Zim in 2002. I talked my father into going with me on his first safari. He was 47. I saved for 1.5 years befor I left and I am still paying off the taxidermy bill.

I am hoping to go again in 2006. After my first safari all I think about is my NEXT safari.

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wise1,

Well, 32 seems to be a popular age for first safaris. I was 32 when I went on my first one to Namibia.

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I was 45-2 months shy of my 46th birthday.

one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
49 year old. Buffalo and plains game in Tanzania. Next May, it's leopard and plains game in Namibia. Don't wait as long as I did!

Posts: 4779 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Greg R
posted Hide Post
29, and I turned 30 on safari. I just turned 34 and will be going on my 9th and 10th safaris this coming season. It is very addictive.

Posts: 798 | Location: Sugar Land, TX 77478 | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As some have said 50+ and semi retired. I was 55 and my wish that I can go back again.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I turned 50 in RSA in Sept. My wife bought me the trip because she knew that I had been dreaming about it for 25 years. We are planning Tanzania or Namibia in 06. You can see my hunt report in the Africa Hunt Report section. My advice- don't wait!
Blacktailer

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by urdubob:
...I sat in the hospital last week... while in my room...all i did was plan my next trip.

urdubob

Urdubob,

I hope you're feeling better!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Giraffe Hunter,

WOW [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I love the photo!!!
I'd like to hear more about your hunt. Oh, and did I say WOW

I just looked at your photos, nice wildebeest!!! Is that a Browning Stainless stalker in some of the photos?

Africa '05!!!!

[ 10-08-2003, 00:12: Message edited by: mark65x55 ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I got separated and divorced 2 years ago, when I was 42. I resolved then to go on safari by the time I was 50.

Now that I'm the only one with any control over my finances, I've put the necessary financial plans into place, so that I'm 90% sure I'll go in 2 years. That will make me almost 46.

If all goes well, I'll have gone on 2 safaris by the time I'm 50. [Smile]

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Giraffe Hunter
posted Hide Post
Mark65x55,

Click the link below to see an old post I made on the forums some time back.

Yes I used a Browning A-bolt in 375 H&H for all the larger animals.

A .22LR was used for the Civet and the Duiker.

Old Post

Posts: 286 | Location: Corning, NY | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I was 32 as well, in 2002.

I had big plans for a return trip in 2004 for Cape Buffalo with some friends, but life seems to have gotten in the way of making that a reality. My financial situation was drastically alterred by a transfer/move in January (great career move but devastating to the savings acct.), and my friends have encountered obstacles since. I have my fingers crossed for 2005 instead, but will even have to play that by ear.

In the meantime, however, I think of very little else and squirrel away every penny I can (into what I like to call my "change midden"). Africa is very addictive!

Cheers,
Canuck

[ 10-08-2003, 00:24: Message edited by: Canuck ]

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll turn 35 while I'm there next April.

Posts: 1475 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of T
posted Hide Post
I was also 35 on my first safari to Zim 7 years ago.

Posts: 292 | Location: Tx | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Giraffe Hunter

Thanks for the link. I still say thats one NICE wildebeest. Tell me more about your .375 A-bolt. I shoot a 30-06 stainless stalker and I'm thinking of buying a .375 for my '05 eland hunt.
What does it weight with the scope? How bad is the recoil?

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I decided to go on safari while reading John Hunter's Book Hunter in the 7th grade, but it took until later to get there. I spent some time in Africa in the military at age 35, but I couldn't get enough time to go hunt. There I was in Kenya, The Sudan, Somalia and Ethiopia -- but no hunting for me. I decided I would go after I retired and the plan was to do it on my 50th birthday.

I actually got it done in time to celebrate my 53rd birthday in Namibia. That was supposed to be the one and only trip, but Africa gets in your blood. [Wink]

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was 43 years old,and have been twice since at 46 and 49 to Namibia,Zimbabwe and Tanzania in that order. Three more years and I hope to go again.

Posts: 31 | Location: Creswell Oregon | Registered: 14 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems like I am a slightly behind the average.

I turned 33 in August.

I leave on MONDAY!!

Posts: 72 | Location: Southern Louisiana | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Africa had always been a dream since I was little but wasnt realized until I was 45. Now it is an addiction!

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Phil>
posted
Like many others here - dreamed about hunting in Africa since I was a boy. At age 43, I finally made that first trip - plains game in Zimbabwe last summer. Hope to be back for the NEXT trip before the 46th birthday. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
I was 35 when I made my first trip after dreaming about it since about 8. Made up for lost time. I will be 45 next month and have made 7 trips in the last 9 years! Number 8 is coming up November 4th with Ridge Taylor in Tanzania. Should be the best yet!

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yet to make my first safari. Been to Africa twice though, for my job. Senegal was nice, Sudan was less so. Came back with something intestinal from the Sudan, which stuck with me for months, and surgery resulting from it. Cooled my appetite for Africa for a good number of years. At 40, with the recent move to CDN behind us, I'm **years** away from it now. I guess we'll need a decade or so to get where we were financially, unless business really takes off...talk to me again about a safari in 2014 :-(

In the mean time...plenty to pursue around here :-)

Frans
www.terrahunt.com

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was 40 years old on my first safari. Hope to keep doing it until I can't walk or shoot a gun.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wise1,

I was 44 before I could afford to go but I dreamed of Africa for many years before that. I wish I could have started going about 10 years earlier since I believe I may physically run out of steam before I can do everything I would like over there. Africa really gets under your skin and just keeps drawing you back. There isn't really anything that your money can buy that quite compares to safari.

Posts: 12875 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was 46 in 2001, Botswana, buffalo and plains game, 12 days hunting. I am still waiting on the taxidermy, 2 years and two months later, but a 15 month quarantine delayed the shipping. The buffalo is almost done and is looking good.

I dreamed about it since I was 10 years old, having commenced reading J. A. Hunter's Hunter at the public library then.

I'll be back!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
I was 47 on my first safari and hope to make the trip with Canuck and a few guys in 2005 for Buffalo.
Take care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I had just had my 28th birthday and i'll be turning 30 this may in zim after cape buffalo

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
I was 23 (almost 24) when I hunted RSA in 2001. Next summer I`m headed for Namibia! Can`t wait!
God luck!
Best regards

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
He he.. It seems I don`t even know my own age.. When I think about it I was actually 22 (almost 23)..

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was 30 for my first trip to Zimbabwe.

Posts: 156 | Location: Gray, Tennessee | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote