Find
Notify
Tools

Who would buy a Land Rover anyway?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
No doubt the Landies require more maintenance etc but also no doubt they're a better vehicle when in the mud or sand (especially when heavily laden) and (IMO) also a better and more comfortable vehicle to ride on the back of.

As I said before, the best vehicle would be a well maintained defender with a Toyota diesel engine. Heaven indeed!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a V8 County 110 LWB work vehicle in Western Aus in the late '80's. The V8 let me down a couple times (water pump - bastard to change! and fuel pump, brother did his time on Jags so new about those!). The bloody centre wind jack really stuffed me - ok only had to walk 12km when I should have been drilling, kangaroo jack fixed that.

But the amount of dust that billowed in and the rain that leaked in.... Added to the outback experience Big Grin

Maybe they changed later....

Must admit I have been bogged a few times in Tanz in the cruiser Smiler

I will say the Landy's have a certain cool factor. And the suspension was great.

Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

As I said before, the best vehicle would be a well maintained defender with a Toyota diesel engine. Heaven indeed!

I would also add the gearbox all bushes tie rod ends and steering box and rods, axels and hubs. And maybe also body for more space. When I drive a landy I sit with my knees around my ears.

Thor Kirchner
Munyamadzi Game Ranch
+260 978157643
P.O. Box 570049
Nyimba, Zambia
www.thorwildlifesafaris.com
munyamadzi@live.com

Posts: 315 | Location: Luangwa, Zambia | Registered: 04 June 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Thor

I'm only a shortarse so can drive them without any problems but I reckon the Landies are less comfortable in the cab and more comfortable in the back than a Cruiser........ the other big problem Landies have is that bloody silly cubby box in the middle of the cab and why they ever came up with that idea, I'll never know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I said I wouldn't but will. Just think the great gun maker Holland & Holland has joined with LR to produce a limited edition H&H model. Sells for around $400,000. Hum.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not read all the post but what stands out is most have very little idea of what they say.

Older landies did have a habit of breaking down but were easy to get going agin. As to off road ability the Toyotas can not match them. Proven.The LC will not climb the same degree of slope a Landie will, L/C roll over and play dead for for Landies, L/C -untill they went tothe same style of chassie as the Rover, bent, twisted or cracked chasis before Rovers would.

I have never seen a Crusier that could change gear in deep water without geting a wet clutch. No problem with the Rover.

In some of the Pacific Island I have seen 30 year old landies still geting around but the oldest L/C would be about 15 years old.

Probably one of the most reliable 4X4 would of been the Isuzu powered Landies that Juguar Rover Australia produced. Using the Isuzu 4db1 engine, Bosch and Nippodencer eletrics. LR should of pissed the Lucaus eletrics off long a go.

But they can go root their boot if they are going to support lunatick groups.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rule 303:
Have not read all the post but what stands out is most have very little idea of what they say.

Older landies did have a habit of breaking down but were easy to get going agin. As to off road ability the Toyotas can not match them. Proven.The LC will not climb the same degree of slope a Landie will, L/C roll over and play dead for for Landies, L/C -untill they went tothe same style of chassie as the Rover, bent, twisted or cracked chasis before Rovers would.

I have never seen a Crusier that could change gear in deep water without geting a wet clutch. No problem with the Rover.

In some of the Pacific Island I have seen 30 year old landies still geting around but the oldest L/C would be about 15 years old.

Probably one of the most reliable 4X4 would of been the Isuzu powered Landies that Juguar Rover Australia produced. Using the Isuzu 4db1 engine, Bosch and Nippodencer eletrics. LR should of pissed the Lucaus eletrics off long a go.

My British friends have warned me if I buy one to buy another for parts even though some of them still have them and won't part with them.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4772 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

My British friends have warned me if I buy one to buy another for parts even though some of them still have them and won't part with them.

Sure, they won't part with them. They have so much invested in spare landrovers for spares, that is will be very costly to part with one - the stock of spares will not fit on a LC! Big Grin

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew McLaren:
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
quote:

Sure, they won't part with them. They have so much invested in spare landrovers for spares, that is will be very costly to part with one - the stock of spares will not fit on a LC, whichso seldom need any spares that, even if the Landy spares would fit, it will take many years to use them all!! Big Grin

Andrew McLaren
Professional Hunter and Hunting Outfitter since 1974.

http://www.mclarensafaris.com The home page to go to for custom planning of ethical and affordable hunting of plains game in South Africa!
Enquire about any South African hunting directly from andrew@mclarensafaris.com

After a few years of participation on forums, I have learned that:

One can cure:

Lack of knowledge – by instruction. Lack of skills – by practice. Lack of experience – by time doing it.

One cannot cure:

Stupidity – nothing helps! Anti hunting sentiments – nothing helps! Put-‘n-Take Outfitters – money rules!

My very long ago ancestors needed and loved to eat meat. Today I still hunt!

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rule, You will never ever convince most South Africans that a LR has got better 4x4 capabilities than a Land Cruiser Pick Up or a bakkie as we call it. My dad owned a Series III in the early seventies that we used as a vehicle to take us to fishing spots on the beach. I had a Series III "shorty" in which I fitted the Chevvy 2.5 motor that was used in the Eland Armored Car (Noddy). It made it it better but I am very sure I will never ever own a Landy again.

Five Years ago we were on a self drive hunting excursion in the Lower Zambezi. We hunted and fished the Sapi concession,staying at G Camp. We slept in tents and everything we needed was carted there by three vehicles.The vehicles consisted of a Mazda(2.5 D), Land Rover( 2.5 TDI) and Toyota Land Cruiser (4.2 D)-all pick ups. Our modus operandi hunting toothless cows, was to drive in the dry river beds to look for elephant activity in the bush fringing the dry rivers.

The Land Cruiser pick up (bakkie) we used was a monster and I am totally convinced.

Posts: 67 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 19 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
My H2 wants to go to Zimbabwe with me.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anton van der Spek:
Rule, You will never ever convince most South Africans that a LR has got better 4x4 capabilities than a Land Cruiser Pick Up or a bakkie as we call it. My dad owned a Series III in the early seventies that we used as a vehicle to take us to fishing spots on the beach. I had a Series III "shorty" in which I fitted the Chevvy 2.5 motor that was used in the Eland Armored Car (Noddy). It made it it better but I am very sure I will never ever own a Landy again.

Five Years ago we were on a self drive hunting excursion in the Lower Zambezi. We hunted and fished the Sapi concession,staying at G Camp. We slept in tents and everything we needed was carted there by three vehicles.The vehicles consisted of a Mazda(2.5 D), Land Rover( 2.5 TDI) and Toyota Land Cruiser (4.2 D)-all pick ups. Our modus operandi hunting toothless cows, was to drive in the dry river beds to look for elephant activity in the bush fringing the dry rivers.

The Land Cruiser pick up (bakkie) we used was a monster and I am totally convinced.

The offroad capabilities if proven. Ask any of thr blokes who worked on the Snowy River scheme in Aust. They would not take the LC off the flat. The ole man spent years in PNG driving Rovers, did one trip in a LC when in Indon and would never set foot in a LC again, just to damned dangerous in true off road mountain conditions. There is noway in this wide world anybody can convince me otherwise after riding with the ole man in PNG and some mates in L/C here and driving them myself in the Solomons.

The JRA made Rovers were the ducks nuts. Decent engine and electrics.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by poacher458:
quote:
Originally posted by shakari:

I would also add the gearbox all bushes tie rod ends and steering box and rods, axels and hubs. And maybe also body for more space. When I drive a landy I sit with my knees around my ears.

tu2

Must be the only vehicle in the world where the steering wheel and driver don't line up perfectly. Slightly off set. The computer box on the TD 5 defender is mounted under the driver seat. No chance of it getting wet there...... 2020
I own both LC and a 130 Defender. The defender takes on sand and mud so much easier than the LC. Other than that , the Defender definitely lacks behind . stir

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jan Dumon:

Must be the only vehicle in the world where the steering wheel and driver don't line up perfectly. Slightly off set. The computer box on the TD 5 defender is mounted under the driver seat. No chance of it getting wet there...... 2020
I own both LC and a 130 Defender. The defender takes on sand and mud so much easier than the LC. Other than that , the Defender definitely lacks behind . stir

Goes back to what I said about that bloody ridiculous centre cubby box....... they should never had put that in there and instead should have moved the front seats closer together so people with shoulders can drive the vehicle without having to stick their arm out the window and also lined the wheel and pedals up properly.

All that said, I reckon Rule has it right and that the LR will always beat the LC on the really sticky/slippery stuff...... especially when heavily laden.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
yep the days of needing to hang your head out the window are gone and that bloody cubby box should be sized down. The JRA 110's were bloody noisy too. I'll give the L/C the lead as far as cabin noise levels go and they have a bloody good aircon.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep. And you never see a Landcruiser spare lying on the track still attached to the bracket Big Grin

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen the show Alaska Off-Road Warriors on the History Channel? It's a bunch off roaders trying to reach the Arctic Ocean going through the Alaskan bush. There are 5 teams; 3 with Toyotas, one with an old Jeep and one with a Land Rover Defender 90. The LR has not faired very well and was stuck 5 miles into the competition. It also bent a track bar and blew an oil line. It’s totally out of the competition now with a broken crankshaft. Other than big tires on it, a stock early 90’s Toyota 4 Runner with a 4 banger has outperformed the LR.

You can keep that Limey garbage!!

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adamhunter:
Has anyone seen the show Alaska Off-Road Warriors on the History Channel? It's a bunch off roaders trying to reach the Arctic Ocean going through the Alaskan bush. There are 5 teams; 3 with Toyotas, one with an old Jeep and one with a Land Rover Defender 90. The LR has not faired very well and was stuck 5 miles into the competition. It also bent a track bar and blew an oil line. It’s totally out of the competition now with a broken crankshaft. Other than big tires on it, a stock early 90’s Toyota 4 Runner with a 4 banger has outperformed the LR.

You can keep that Limey garbage!!

Strange about that, the old Camel trophy used jeeps once from memory and LR the rest of the time, Tojos couldn't cut ythe mustard so weren't used. You can keep the Jap crap:-)

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up.

I'll stick with Jeep and Land Homo can stick it's piece of crap where the sun don't shine.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kiwiwildcat:
Thanks for the heads up.

I'll stick with Jeep and Land Homo can stick it's piece of crap where the sun don't shine.

Yep, my thought is a Rubicon would run circles around all of them.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They never used Toy's on the Camel Trophy because it would not have been an adventure. It would have been a walk in the park and very boring to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They never used Toy's on the Camel Trophy because it would not have been an adventure. It would have been a walk in the park and very boring to watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When the Tojos just sit there because the cant make it through the shite then yes it would be very boring:-)

One of Us
Picture of Jan Dumon
posted Hide Post
Guys , guys , guys , relax now. No need to get hot under the collar about a bloody vehicle. They all break , and the Land Rover boys are 100 % correct -- a Land cruiser is no competition for a Land rover , that's why there are Jeeps ( the 4 wheel drive vehicle most driven by hairdressers ). The Land cruiser's way up there in another league ... stir clap

Jan Dumon
Professional Hunter& Outfitter
www.shumbasafaris.com

+27 82 4577908

Posts: 774 | Location: Greater Kruger - South Africa | Registered: 10 August 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
The truth is they're all pretty damn good vehicles and an awful lot depends on how the individual vehicle is prepared and equipped and at least equally important...... perhaps most important of all is the skill of the individual behind the wheel.

That said, as much as I like the Landies, it'll be a cold day in hell before I buy another one now they've taken to sponsoring the antis and I love my old Jeep Cherokee/Wagoneer too much anyway.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, not hot under the collar just friendly bantering. No real man with the correct amount of testosterone will ever agree about motor vehicles,rifle calibers and what a perfect women should look like.

Certain things in life gets bred into you and no amount of reasoning will ever change it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
No, not hot under the collar just friendly bantering. No real man with the correct amount of testosterone will ever agree about motor vehicles,rifle calibers and what a perfect women should look like.

Certain things in life gets bred into you and no amount of reasoning will ever change it.

Anton stop introducing logic on a forum for, guns, hunting and cars rotflmo