New
Find
Notify
Tools

Willie Englebrecht
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was on another site and happened to see a thread titled "Willie Englebrecht" and it took me back to my first Safari in the Okavango delta in 1998. Willie was a long time PH in Botswana and to say he was a character is quite an understatement. I was hunting out of splash camp with Mark Kyriacou's outfit, Glenn Munger was my PH, and Willie was hunting out of tsum tsum. One day we were near tsum tsum and stopped for lunch with him and his clients. When I told him that on day one I had simultaneously shot my first big game animal and first african trophy, a cape buffalo, Willie said "Why that's like going to a whorehouse for the first time and getting the madam".
Willie was fighting cancer at the time, as was my brother, who knew Willie. When David flew in to join me later that week Willie made a point of meeting the bush plane. One of my treasured memories is the two of them standing on the landing strip urging each other to keep fighting the good fight.
Sadly they both lost the fight.
Another story as related to me: Willie had to take a test to renew his PH license. The examiner asked him what the first thing was that he would do if a buffalo attacked his client. "Go to the truck and get my axe" Willie replied. When asked "Why?" Willie said "So that I can cut down the tree". When the confused examiner said "What tree?". Willie said" The F***ing tree that my F***ing tracker has climbed up so that I can get my F***ing rifle and shoot the F***ing buffalo".
I wish that I would have had the chance to spend more time with Willie.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like he lived a life that should have been written down to pass on to the rest of us.

We are diminished...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
"Why that's like going to a whorehouse for the first time and getting the madam".

"Go to the truck and get my axe"........"So that I can cut down the tree"........"The F***ing tree that my F***ing tracker has climbed up so that I can get my F***ing rifle and shoot the F***ing buffalo".

You've got to love colorful characters like that. You know them when you meet them.......and you never forget them.

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote