THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Recommend a good Africa book for a 13 yo boy going on his first safari

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend a good Africa book for a 13 yo boy going on his first safari
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
Me and my whole group are going to the BVC in July.

This will be my 13 year old son’s first safari. He has no idea what he is in for. (Hope I don’t ruin him too early in life!)

He is a reader. What book should I give him that will captivate him and set the mind for his upcoming adventure?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use Enough Gun, hope he and all of y'all have a great time !!!

Posts: 564 | Location: texas | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
Horn of the Hunter is going to be really hard to beat because I don’t think there is a better book about a first safari. He’s deferential enough to explain small things and it’s easy to feel his excitement just being there. Green hill of Africa is awesome, but he might get bored with the occasional literature and philosophical talk. It’s a much deeper book than HOTH, but Ruark I think will serve him best as a first.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Any of Capsticks.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68668 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll put in a plug for John Sharps Book. Any older books from a variety of authors, My 11 year old grandson loved those, the 6 year old not so much.

What camp are you staying and who are you hunting with? He will have a great time we took the boys last year. I've already been told that we are going back next year.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second Saeed....Death in the Long Grass got me started 45 years ago.

Jeff

Posts: 93 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 07 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane-

Horn of the Hunter is the one.

I envy your safari. You'll have a blast watching your son and he will be talking about the experience his whole life.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horn of the Hunter is excellent, and if he’s a hunter then the dated aspects won’t distract.

The Capstick books are also decent, but wear their age a bit more. They are also more DG oriented and depending on the kid, might scare them.

If the boy is a bit of an academic, then Hemingway would be good (and the look on his teachers face when they ask for “what did you do this summer” and they get the I read Hemingway then went to Africa answer would be priceless…

Frankly, most of the books I’ve read are pretty dangerous game centric, and if you have that spark, they are great, but if not… then they are pretty boring.

I did like Bell’s wanderings of an elephant hunter for the histories and stories.

Roosevelt’s Game Trails would be American Africana, but might not be suited to a youth reader.

Hunter by Hunter was good.

Some of Taylor’s stories were fun, even if the man was a bit off the beaten path.

I’d say it depends on the maturity of the 13 year old. Something like Jock of the Bushveld might be more younger audience written…

Buzz’s elephant book has some interesting stories.

I don’t think Boddington or Flack would fit with a younger reader, but might work for the right kid.

Posts: 10988 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Ruark, definitely. Horn of the Hunter is a great mid-20th century safari book. It has stood the test of time.

Also, Bartle Bull's Safari: A Chronicle of Adventure, is a great history of safaris, from the early days to the present (which was late 1980s, at the time the book was published).

African Game Trails, by Theodore Roosevelt, is likewise a fine book, dated to be sure, but a great study of African big game hunting and safari life.

When I read the older books, I am just as struck by how much remains true today, as I am by how much has changed.

Good luck to you and your son on your safari. He is a lucky boy.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13623 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
Any of Capsticks.

tu2 Boddington’s books like “Safari Rifles “ are also good reading for a young guy.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane:

I thought of two more; African Twilight by Robert Jones and White Hunters by Brian Herne. The chapter in African Twilight about lion hunting in Somalia is fantastic.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed Boddington's Tracks Across Africa

Would also recommend John Sharp's book, Facing Down Fear.

I will be in the BVC in July as well. Flying out of Atlanta on the 12th.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TNJohn:
I'll put in a plug for John Sharps Book. Any older books from a variety of authors, My 11 year old grandson loved those, the 6 year old not so much.

What camp are you staying and who are you hunting with? He will have a great time we took the boys last year. I've already been told that we are going back next year.

Ngali

Nigel Theisen is the PH. Nigel has hired Dean McGregor to come along as an extra guide cause Nigel and I will be sitting for cats some of the time and I wanted Kris and Martin to be able to be in the bush game viewing at those times as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Lane: An excellent book for your boy is entitled “Africa” by Sporting Classics. It’s a collection of 41 short stories and covers both Plainsgame and Dangerous Game. Two of the stories involve PH’s I personally know, Jan du Plessis of Sebra Hunting Safaris and Danie Jansen van Vuuren of Trophy Tracking Safaris. There are also stories from years gone by that depict some of the history of African hunting.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Horn of the Hunter is such a great book. I haven’t read Africa that he refers to, but I have a client who is taking his 15 yr old grandson on the first safari for each of them on Mkore in the SVC in August. I need to get them both of these books.

Posts: 3901 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Hunter by JA Hunter.

That’s the first African hunting book I read as a boy and it’s still one of the better ones.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2811 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell I was there, Elmer Keith.

Posts: 1280 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess the word is out on Ngali. We also had an extra car for those not hunting. It was well worth it as there is plenty of wildlife. They saw the big 5 during daylight.

Posts: 402 | Location: Tennessee, North Carolina | Registered: 01 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congratulations Lane... I took my son on his first African safari for his 13th birthday. We hunted with Russell Lovemore and his two boys. Wonderful memories ahead for you both.

Readability is important for a 13 year old and I think Boddington and Flack are masters at this type of writing. So my recommendations are Peter Flack's Heart of an African Hunter and Tales of a Trophy Hunter in Africa. And as mentioned earlier, Boddington's 10 year diaries like Tracks Across Africa, Where Lions Roar and From Cape to Kasserine are all easy reading and great info!

Have fun!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane,

What got me started when I was about 8 was a leatherbound copy of T.R.'s African Game Trails. My grandmother gave it to me to keep me from underfoot. I still have what's left of that book, I read it so many times. It's what got me interested in hunting in Africa.

Ruark's Horn of the Hunter is great too. I don't recall anything in there that wouldn't be ok for a 13 year old. Most of Capstick's stuff would be good too.

On Hemingway, Green Hills of Africa was great, but True at First Light, which he did not finish, was bloody aweful. The second was basically a retelling of the first with lurid details and I have a hard time remembering if Green Hills would be appropriate for a young teenager.

Good luck. What a lucky young man!

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Me and my whole group are going to the BVC in July.

This will be my 13 year old son’s first safari. He has no idea what he is in for. (Hope I don’t ruin him too early in life!)

He is a reader. What book should I give him that will captivate him and set the mind for his upcoming adventure?

I am going to say it Death in the Long Grass. I laughed and wanted to go. Fast read too.

White Hunters Brian Herne.

Posts: 12072 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
White Hunters by Brian Herne. You can also get him the audio book to listen to on the endless flight. If he is going to learn about Safari, he should start with our roots, the golden age of safari.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A first safari is something special. Can't imagine experiencing in one's teens. Good for you!

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote