Find
Notify
Tools

Skins?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Guys,

Going to hunt plains game in RSA during late May. Have made arrangements to hunt Blesbok, Gemsbok, Impala, Kudu, Warthog
and Blue Wildebeest.

Obviously, if a really great animal blunders into the sights we'll make arrangements to have shoulder mounts done. Doesn't seem likely and as cost is an issue have about decided to have European mounts done.

I understand that Warthog leather is very nice, so will have that done if we take one.

Am curious as to whether or not having the other skins done is worthwhile? Any of these make good wall hanging? Any of them make particularly good leather?

Cost is an issue, so your experienced guidance would be very much appreciated.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Tanning is unbelievably cheap if done over there. I hunted Zimbabwe but had my taxidermy work done in RSA for a lot less than here including freight. Anyhow, I had all the backskins done and they were around 10-15 bucks each. jorge

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I had 8 pillows made up from the back skins of various antelope from my last trip. These were done with the hair on. Very attractive, and inexpensive. Just tell your taxidermist the dimensions you want.

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
M - I have blesbok and impala full skins, and they make very nice rugs or throws for over a chair (I like them w/o the felt backing). I had kudu and wildebeest (blue and black) back skin tanned (these were shoulder mounts) as the taxidermist in SA did them real cheap. They are not really usable though, and the kudu hair is not that great to begin with. I do not know what type of leather they offer. Although not on your menu, I did have some goods made out of an ostrich that turned out well. Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Mike,

We've had quite a lot of animals skins prepared - tanned and flat skins for display.

They look so good I have to hide the ones I want to keep!

Well worth doing.

Posts: 67001 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I brought back home all hides tanned.. blue wildbeast is a great looking cape could be cut and made into a vest great designs with the color bars on it... bushbuck great and all hides are like suede on the underside..

Good luck and have a great trip..

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue Wildebeste makes a rug that is prettier than zebra, not as striking, but prettier. Itis also very durable. Try going without the felt, it is cheaper and gives a nice appearance.

By all means get your hides done. Most US taxidermist will even give you credit for the hides if they do a lot of African work.

Some of the other hides make nice throws, as mentioned, and wall hangings. Good luck.

I think your idea of Euro mounts is a good one. I wish I'd done that with some of my animals. Ku-dude

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Mike:

I've done all European mounts and flat skins. I've not had luck with warthog skins, as they're rather thin and tender and mine (and my hunting buddy's) ended up with a lot of tears and holes. All the others turned out fine, though.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Gemsbok doesn't lend itself well to a flat skin rug as the hair is more fragile than most. Further, there is nothing more beautiful than a gemsbok shoulder mount. Do a shoulder mount on this one and then frame it on a wall with your other European mounts.

JMHO,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a lot of flat skins, several Gemsbok, most of you have been walking on the gemsbok for many years at SCI
,that Gemsbok has held up well and its 8 years old. Same with Zebra, Impala, Bison, Blesbok, Kudu, all pretty skins...Springbuck and Bison being my favorite skins of all.........Eland is the worst but makes good leather and Cape Buffalo when split and done in RSA is beatiful leather.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of urdubob
posted Hide Post
Don't laugh...I have a Pair of chaps made of Kudu skin.

Posts: 945 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have back skins and flat skins on my office floor, let me look Bushbuck, Blesbok, Springbok - common, white and black, Gemsbok, female Nyala flat skin and back skin male Nyala. I have a Kudu backskin on the wall with the 3 color phase Springbok in front the colors are totally different so they stand out better. The rubber bands on my desk are kept in a Kudu sack sort of appropriate, eh. Waste not want not.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not laughing Urdobob, I am having two pair of chaps (chink style with fringe) made for me grandson and his dad..and my daughters stirrups are covered with zebra hide, or were before she wore them out, so now she wants some more...I will be shooting Zebra for a long time to come..

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote