THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Harare -------what to expect at the airport??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harare -------what to expect at the airport??
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted
Will be flying into Harare -- what can I expect at the airport as to the regulatory types etc.?? What should I be on the lookout for and be aware of??-------Never been through that airport so would appreciate the wisdom and guidance of those that have.

Thanks
G

OMG!-- my bow is "pull-push feed" - how dreadfully embarrasing!!!!!

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its a piece of cake as nobody goes there anymore. The terminal is new and the people are friendly and helpful. Bring a firearms permit in triplicate pay 30 bucks to immigration and you are on your way. Tip the porter as he will get you through firearms and customs and will wheel your bags to the domestic terminal and load them on the charter for you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want the firearms form sent to you, email me on fishunt@zol.co.zw and will gladly send it to you.

The forms are available at the airport but there never seems to be any carbon paper!

Posts: 244 | Location: Zimbabwe/Sweden | Registered: 09 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Most of the "carbon" on the carbon paper has left the building ages ago.

The easiest thing to do is make a sandwich of the 3 copies with your own, new carbon paper (2 sheets), stapled together, so the rest of the form can be filled out at the airport w/o delays.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Isn't the paperwork supposed to be done by the PH you are going to be hunting with?

That has always been the way I have done it in Zimbabwe.

I never had to fill in any forms whatsoever!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68690 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
One thing that will save some time. Make sure you "buy" a visa immediately upon arrival. There will be three lines:
1. returning citizens
2. entering visitors
3. those who need to purchase visas, then get in line 2.

Don't be a dumby like me and go all the way through line two only to get sent back to three to get the visa!

Not every country has a "apply at entry" visa deal with Zim. USA does. Check first or you may need to apply with an embassy or wherever. There was some guy from an Eastern European country my last visit who was stuck in limbo trying to get in the country since his native land wasn't on the "available on entry" visa list.

I'll be in the Harare airport in four hours, btw!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There was a bit of a scam going on not too long ago at the airport. When they give you your visa BE SURE TO CHECK THE DATES. In the past, there have been cases where they intentionally had the Visa expire before your departure date. Once you try to fly back home, they hassle you (can threaten you with jail) in the hopes that you will pay them off to let you go.

There was a thread on here about it and it happened to my friend's wife. Just be aware.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Firearms permit has to be filled out by client these days.

If anybody tries a scam on the dates please let us know. Parks & Zimbabwe Tourism Authority are trying to make sure your visit is totally hassel free- (hassel free - not fast - we don't do "fast")

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You may wish to add a margin of safety regarding dates. If you are staying for 2 weeks, indicate a 30 day stay. Then your visa and firearms permit are sure to cover. And it gives you some leeway in case of illness, an airline strike, or whatever else could cause delay.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have travelled to 50+ countries and found the airport at Harare better than Atlanta or DFW, in terms of getting through customs and getting a visa.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the easiest to transit - Harare was a 9 with Singapore and being a 10. Karachi, Islamabad and Lagos are a negative 10. US airports are about a 6 or 7 due to crowding and lack of customs people. London is a 7 or 8. Amsterdam is an 8, Frankfurt is an 8. Aukland is an 8 and is very nice to hang out in.

Atyrau, Kazakhstan is a 3 with Almaty being a 2. Moscow is a 2 to a 6 depending on the day of the week (weekends are bad due to drunk customs people). St. Petersburg is a 6.

Tel Aviv is absolutely the safest in the world, bar none. I was x-rayed and checked there better than my doctor. I would rate it a 10 for safety, with 7 for getting through the process.

Cairo is a zoo. I never could tell where the airport started and stopped. No problems just a bit chaotic in the customs and baggage areas.

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea is an experience - customs is easy, but once you get out of the airport, it is every man for himself, so hang onto your wife, your bags and whatever else you have or the locals will grab it and run. My meet and greet guy carried a shotgun to get me to the car.

Posts: 10364 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
How intrusive are the inspectors??--do they count ammo and check head stamps and things like that or just look at serial numbers and send you on your way?? This will determine how I pack things. Based on one of the above comments looks like the way to go is grab a porter and put some $ in his hand right up front.

Posts: 932 | Location: 8K Ft in Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dogcat:
I have travelled to 50+ countries and found the airport at Harare better than Atlanta or DFW, in terms of getting through customs and getting a visa.

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the easiest to transit - Harare was a 9 with Singapore and being a 10. Karachi, Islamabad and Lagos are a negative 10. US airports are about a 6 or 7 due to crowding and lack of customs people. London is a 7 or 8. Amsterdam is an 8, Frankfurt is an 8. Aukland is an 8 and is very nice to hang out in.

Atyrau, Kazakhstan is a 3 with Almaty being a 2. Moscow is a 2 to a 6 depending on the day of the week (weekends are bad due to drunk customs people). St. Petersburg is a 6.

Tel Aviv is absolutely the safest in the world, bar none. I was x-rayed and checked there better than my doctor. I would rate it a 10 for safety, with 7 for getting through the process.

Cairo is a zoo. I never could tell where the airport started and stopped. No problems just a bit chaotic in the customs and baggage areas.

Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea is an experience - customs is easy, but once you get out of the airport, it is every man for himself, so hang onto your wife, your bags and whatever else you have or the locals will grab it and run. My meet and greet guy carried a shotgun to get me to the car.
I'll give Windhoek a 9 as well. Almost a 10, but nothing's perfect, right?

Posts: 513 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Regarding the "Zim Paperwork", all that needs to be filled out upon arrival is the simple 1-page "Visitors Certificate". Kathi sends copies in her ticket packs (complete in black pen, do not sign, make two copies and/or do the carbon paper thing...).

If anybody needs it, I uploaded a copy, just click here and either Save or Print:

CLICK HERE FOR FORM

Tip - Make sure the "stamp" is clear on the copy you get (they run out of ink too!), as at a road block I had this questioned.

Reg the VISA, when you see the Customs booths, shoot off to the right to the VISA desk (many people will hurry to Customs just to have to double-back). Good tip there Shumba reg the dates.

The baggage carousel is just behind Customs and your PH should be looking for you there. I think the rifle cases come down the chute, but snoop around for "oversized" luggage, it is a small area.

Next step is to register your rifle/ammo. I have not had my ammo inspected, you should have to open the rifle case and show the serial number matching for Firearms forms, noting your PH as well as the porter will be helping at this point. No sweat. And a smile never hurts.

Harare was a piece of cake the last two times, and I do not expect anything different next week! Smiler

I will update if anything noteworthy.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
Reg the VISA, when you see the Customs booths, shoot off to the right to the VISA desk (many people will hurry to Customs just to have to double-back). Good tip there Shumba reg the dates.

Yeah, you have to buy a Visa. Just how tricky can this be? Roll Eyes

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will: Yeah, you have to buy a Visa. Just how tricky can this be? Roll Eyes
Not tricky at all, simple in fact. Wink

A "carbon paper sandwich", now there is rocket science. Dork. Roll Eyes

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Have the correct amount of money for the Visa...

Don't remember the cost I believe $30...

I took all copies that Kathi geve me filled out and did not sign until in front of the authorities...

I even took an extra set of blank copies and guess what, there was another hunter without any paperwork and good old Mike saved his butt.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
No experience with Harrare, but the visa and firearms process in Bulawayo was much easier than I've ever experienced in RSA.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
It's been a couple years but when I was there the place was half empty. With the exchange rate my buddy and I nearly drank for free in an airport bar. The bartender gave us considerably better exchange rate than the money changing store. We traded out ten bucks (U.S.) each with him, drank for a couple hours, and still had money left over.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Question as to the $30 entry fee -- is that American dollars?--------I am outa here in less than 42 hours
G

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
yes

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7694 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Just a note of curiosity if I may... When leaving Harrare I found the ispectors to be extremely through??? I had the feeling they were making sure nothing of value was leaving the country... many years ago now. I assume it remains the same politics and all.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Woodmnctry
posted Hide Post
Sooooooo--- if I read this correctly they will only be looking for an original signature on the forms -- thus I can fill them out (actually fill one out and copy it 2X) and then sign in front of the inspector types???----------Right?
G