THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Do you perfer a PH that hunts more than one country, or one that only hunts in one co

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you perfer a PH that hunts more than one country, or one that only hunts in one co
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of white north
posted
Do you perfer a PH that hunts in multiple countries,or a PH that hunts only in one country? There must be some pros and cons.

White North

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My personal preference is a PH that hunts one country, or two bordering areas. For me, it feels like he has a more stable operation and crew. Both my trips to Africa were with companies that had specific concessions and a set up permanent camp. My first trip was Cape Buffalo in the Makuti area of northern Zimbabwe with CM Safaris in late 2008. I hunted from a classic tent camp, and with one of the principals; Myles McCallum. He and the trackers knew the area intimately, and where to start pursuit. I highly recommend he or his partner Buzz Charlton for a DG hunt in Zimbabwe.
This trip in April to RSA was Plains Game with Reon von Tonden the owner/PH of African Barefoot Safaris. It was a lodge-based safari, and I appreciated the luxury. Again, he and his trackers knew the areas we would be hunting like the back of their hand.

IMHO, moving around is a tremendous waste of time and money. A ten day hunt is two weeks from your door and back. Two days each way flying.
A day traveling to camp and a day back. So, now your ten day hunt is eight. Hunt a couple days and move, your eight day hunt is down to seven or even six days actually hunting. Worse, you are paying the full daily rates to take a slow speed tour of the area.

I have four more trips to Africa planned before arthritis limits my ability to shoot big guns and hoof it. Then, I'll go sightseeing.
Right now, I want every day afield of that limited time to BE afield with a good Double Rifle or boltgun in hand.

That's my viewpoint...

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
My preference, a PH that hunts an area that he is intimately familiar with and where he is not relying on trackers or scouts for familiarity of the area. I think it is less important if they hunt one country or more, so long they are hunting in areas that they know and know well.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
My preference, a PH that hunts an area that he is intimately familiar with and where he is not relying on trackers or scouts for familiarity of the area. I think it is less important if they hunt one country or more, so long they are hunting in areas that they know and know well.

I prefer to hunt with a blind PH that has no idea where the hell he is! Smiler

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So they can't see your shooting? Eeker

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by white north:
Do you perfer a PH that hunts in multiple countries,or a PH that hunts only in one country? There must be some pros and cons.

White North

I believe this happens more frequently in Central and Western Africa but I've heard of quite a few competent and well-respected PH's who start in Benin or Burkina Faso, then move into CAR and Cameroon as the season progresses. I've even heard of some guys who start out West, work their way into Central Africa, and finish things up in Tanzania or further south each year. A free-lance PH wouldn't necessarily bother me, especially if they have an established relationship with the outfitters they guide for.

Posts: 355 | Location: CO | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

+1

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
So they can't see your shooting? Eeker

Precisely!

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I'll answer your question with a question...

If you were booking a trip for elk in the US...would you book with a guide who said I hunt New Mexico, Colorado, and Wyoming and I know them all?

or

would you research an area and find the best outfitter in that area?

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to hunt with a PH that knows the area, so I guess I would say one who hunts one country only.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with a PH that hunted two different countries and they were not bordering countries. My feeling is that totally different animals were hunted in the different countries and I feel that it just made my PH a better hunter because of the different challanges presented to him as a PH. Travel the world or you have only read the first page of the book.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:

White North

It makes no difference at all.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
He needs to know the real estate and its inhabitants.

It also helps if he can talk the local lingo, as well as yours.

And people skills - otherwise known as charm and personality - are a definite plus. Big Grin

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Hunting is an adventure,not a shopping trip. I have had the fortune to hunt in different countries, and have learnt so much about their local flora and fauna, their languages and cultures.

I welcome the challenge of going in to a new area to learn and find the game,and so too should most hunters. The world is getting smaller all the time, and finding those last bit of undeveloped areas should inspire and bring out the adventurer in you. Hell, ask Selous and all the other "White Hunter's" what their opinions are.

Working a new area under the guise of possibly shooting an 80lb elephant,or a 45" buff,not to mention a great black maned lion, a massive leopard,and throw in a 46" sable.....guess I know where, as an adventurous person, would like to hunt.

Granted there are those outfitters who would have you believe all sorts of crap about their new areas, not much we can do about it until after the crap hunt....as for me...."What you see is what you get."

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It dosnt matter as long as the ph knows their stuff.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
quote:

White North

Silly question but to give you some small degree of credit I will try to answer your query in a mature and professional manner.

I prefer blond hookers because I have yet to come across a good looking red head?

Hope that clarifies the issue.

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9983 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
Fairgame - Finally someone with a sense of honest decorum. That's the attitude.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil-PH:
Fairgame - Finally someone with a sense of honest decorum. That's the attitude.

Pretty good sense of humour too! rotflmo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hookers huh? I might hunt with fairgame but I wouldn't shake hands with him.

dancing

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of white north
posted Hide Post
Fairgame, what is a hooker? Is that a big hook used to hook AFRICAN BIG GAME? :fishi :

Posts: 126 | Location: Arviat, Nunavut, CANADA | Registered: 02 March 2010Reply With Quote