THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Friday From the Field: The Buck Stops with Safari Specialty Importers

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Friday From the Field: The Buck Stops with Safari Specialty Importers
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Safari Specialty Importers
posted
A recent update from a Customs broker that handles hunting trophies informed their clients that the rising costs from the airlines and the cancelling of the 2-3 day grace period on storage at airline terminals would have to be passed onto the individual hunter in order to remain profitable. They provided the below list of cost increases from the airlines:

• Import Service Charge per AWB: $130
• Covid Handle Charge: $60
• Storage Fee Minimum: $190
• Storage Fee per Kilo per Day: $0.30-$0.50

The average time for USFW/Customs to clear hunting trophies is between 2-3 weeks. This means that a crate of trophies that weighs 100kilos could be charged over $700 in storage fees, plus the $190 in Service/Covid charges for a potential total of almost a $1000 in extra costs.

Safari Specialty Importers was founded by hunters to serve the needs of hunters. We avoid these high storage costs by moving all shipments to our USDA approved/Bonded warehouse where they are safe and secure while USFW comes to us to clear. Regular Custom Brokers do not bother with this step, as the majority of their business is commercial shipping that goes through a less extensive clearing process. They leave individual hunters to hold the bag when it comes to rising costs.

Safari Specialty Importers was able to move shipments during Covid when no one else could, and did not change our pricing or service. We stand with that position now and will continue to provide the same stellar service with no increase in our pricing. Hunting Trophies are our only business, so come find out why we are the Best in the Business.

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Honestly, the whole process for shipping and importing trophies has gotten completely out of hand. I was recently given a quote of approximately $2500 for freight charges to ship two buffalo skulls and two plains game animals and capes from Tanzania. Add to that the costs in the US of a Customs broker of approximately $500-600 and you are at around $3000 before the taxidermist does a damn thing. For four animals. I realize that opinions vary on hunting and not bringing home trophies but at some point enough is enough. I dearly love hunting in Africa, but my days of bringing trophies home are over unless and until the importation process returns to some semblance of reasonableness.

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari Specialty Importers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
Honestly, the whole process for shipping and importing trophies has gotten completely out of hand. I was recently given a quote of approximately $2500 for freight charges to ship two buffalo skulls and two plains game animals and capes from Tanzania. Add to that the costs in the US of a Customs broker of approximately $500-600 and you are at around $3000 before the taxidermist does a damn thing. For four animals. I realize that opinions vary on hunting and not bringing home trophies but at some point enough is enough. I dearly love hunting in Africa, but my days of bringing trophies home are over unless and until the importation process returns to some semblance of reasonableness.

Mike, I understand your situation. I have my personal buffalos in Tanzania and am waiting on the shipping quote to get them home.

While SSI cannot control shipping costs, we can help lower them by consolidating shipments to get lower bulk rates. We provide further savings on storage and the clearing process as detailed above. A solution might be that all of the AR members chip in to buy an airline to ship our trophies home, but as Richard Branson said "The fastest way to become a millionaire is to be a billionaire with an airline..."

Posts: 192 | Location: New York | Registered: 25 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gundog 64
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:

Mike,
I just got an email from our dip/pack/shipper this morning. I have 2 boxes one has been there from our 2019 hunt and the other from my 2020 hunt, please don't ask why 2 boxes but that is what is coming. Shipping quote is $3000.00 dip pack was $900.00, shipping from Bulawayo to Johannesburg was $360.00. Now in full disclosure there are 2 buffalo, 1 Eland, Waterbuck, Kudu, Impala, baboon, warthog tusks, Grysbok, and Klipspringer in the two boxes and I still will have customs broker $400.00 and shipping to the tannery $?. Like you said the taxidermist has not even started. We have been blessed to be able to do 4 trips to Africa, not sure if there will be a 5th in our future. It's like the straw that broke the camels back.
John

Posts: 794 | Location: MI | Registered: 26 November 2009Reply With Quote