New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mozambique- what do you think?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What do you all think of Mozambique for Buff, croc and hippo.

one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I've taken two very decent buff from there as well as some interesting plains game. Unfortunately, I'm allergic to the local gnats so won't be returning. Pity. I really like the place.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
There is some definately good hunting there...Plenty of water, but also lots of mosquitos...
Plenty of tough walking if hunting the marshes for buf..

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rakman1:
What do you all think of Mozambique for Buff, croc and hippo.

Be careful.

There are some great areas on Moz. There are also some dodgy operators who have set up shop there.

Can you tell us the concession, the operator, etc.?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If i have this correct it would either be in the Tchuma Tchato or Mahimba area. PH is Nathen Askew with Bullet Safaris

one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
I spoke with John Lasala and Chris Williams about Mozambique. Both said they would have some new areas in Moz and will have details in a few weeks.

Anyone know of any changes in Moz? New concessions? Reorganizations? Other operators expanding into Moz?

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have truly mongster crocs there. Some of those lizards give me the creeps!

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rakman1:
If i have this correct it would either be in the Tchuma Tchato or Mahimba area. PH is Nathen Askew with Bullet Safaris

I am not familar with these names. But you may want to contact Wendell Reich to see if he can shed any light on the situation since he knows some of the players there.

Wendell: http://www.huntersquest.com/

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
D. Nelson recently hunted Mahimba Hunt Report.

Tchuma Tchato is on the south side of Lake Cahora Bassa and just east of Zimbabwe.

So they are two different kinds of terrain. Tchuma Tchato will be similar to Dande North.

Has Nathan Askew gone out on his own. Didn't he used to work with McDonald Pro-Hunting?

I believe that Safaris de Mozambique (Piet Hougaard) used to have the Tchuma Tchato concession, but not certain. He did have a concession in that area of MOZ.

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

Here's a company that has info on both concessions TG Safaris

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumbo moore got some very large buff in his concession, but I believe that the US doesn't allow croc to be imported from mozm.. hippo are very prevelant

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
The US does allow Croc to be imported from Moz.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted Hide Post
Piet Hougaard's old area was wonderful when I hunted it in 2001. I know Tony Tompkinson and John Harris are conducting hunts there begining this season. Both of them are great guys I have hunted with in the past. They are offering 10 day buff hunts including air charter fees from Harare for around $12,500.00 and hippo and croc can be taken for trophy fees. All three animals are present in large numbers in the concession.

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Getting trophies out of Moz, in my limited experience, is a clusterama of biblical proportions. My stuff from this past year is sitting in an inadequate facility waiting to be exported to ZIMBABWE and then exported AGAIN. I will feel lucky if the trophies arrive. It is a major consideration to booking there againand a question that should be asked.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
I agree absolutely! On the first trip, it took 2 1/2 years to find my lost trophy buff. However, Peet took steps to improve the situation and this last trip's trophies were in my taxidermist's hands within 14 months and there were no errors in shipment.

Sarge

Holland's .375: One Planet, One Rifle . . . for one hundred years!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote