THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    South African Airways baggage allowance

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

South African Airways baggage allowance
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted
Problby not a new question, but just haveing gotten my tickets with SAA changed around, the printable version has a very specific note about baggage allowance, only lets me have 20 Kilos and with checking two bags Im sure no way I'll meet that restriction. Im flying over to Joberg on an airline with NO baggage agreement with SAA, thus my SAA ticket is an independent one and so Im sure I'll get socked for a 2nd bag and/or overweight fee in some manner. Anyone have any recent (like in 2008) experience with this and if so what fee amount did you get hit for.

Willi

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got hit in Namibia a couple of years back for $150 on an overweight bag and another fee for changing my departure day. They take credit cards and they are quite strict about it.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2928 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of namibiahunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonhunter1
Problby not a new question, but just haveing gotten my tickets with SAA changed around, the printable version has a very specific note about baggage allowance, only lets me have 20 Kilos and with checking two bags Im sure no way I'll meet that restriction. Im flying over to Joberg on an airline with NO baggage agreement with SAA, thus my SAA ticket is an independent one and so Im sure I'll get socked for a 2nd bag and/or overweight fee in some manner. Anyone have any recent (like in 2008) experience with this and if so what fee amount did you get hit for.

You might check your ticket again. It might say that you are limited to 20 kgs per check-in bag and 2 bags max. That's what I got just last month going to Johannesburg. My carry-ons were never weighed, just inspected. Also, they may or may not count your gun case as part of your 2 check-in luggage limit. If it makes you feel better, call the airline your trip is originating on.

If your trip is originating out of the West Coast (Seattle, Portland, or Vancouver, I presume) then you are flying first with another airline and not South African Airways, which you will be connecting with somewhere down the line. Once you have your luggage on and booked through to Johannesburg or Capetown then the SAA baggage weight limitation is moot because they'll load on whatever was checked in at point of origin.

Here's what my luggage situation looked liked last month, to and from Jo'burg:

1 - check-in luggage (ammo case inside), 44 lbs
1 - gun case, 35 lbs
1 - carry-on, probably about 25 lbs

and my son's luggage:

1 - check-in luggage, 42 lbs
1 - carry-on, probaby about 20 lbs

No problem anywhere (PDX to IAD to JNB to WDH and back, including a short layover at Dakar).

Hope that helps.

Namibiahunter

Posts: 665 | Location: Oregon or Namibia | Registered: 13 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bisonhunter1:

Willi

Willi

Yes on my last safari in 2006 I got slugged for the full extra on top of 20 kgs for checked luggage. With a gun case with two rifles, one quite heavy it added up to a lot of extra $$$.

Next time I will be looking for alternative airlines.

Also when exiting Jo'burg the scales are at the front door, so the weighing Nazis can hit you without you being able to speak to any "customer service" staff.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I'm flying SAA to Joberg/Harare next week and just called SAA to double check on the free baggage allowance. If you're flying internationally the limit is two bags, each of which can weight no more than 50 lbs.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2314 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bisonhunter1
posted Hide Post
Well technically I am flying internationally, BUT its a non connected flight with SAA. I to have spoken in the last hour witha SQAA customer rep and from her explanation, I will be getting hit with excess baggae fee, the amount will depend on how much I'm over the 20 kilo limit. Either way I'm paying and its just another one of those "extra" fees things that when added up make the trip more costly. Still going on this trip tho!

Posts: 576 | Location: Post Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Norwegianhunter
posted Hide Post
Last time we went for RSA with SAA from Heathrow we got 20 kg luggage + 5 kg extras for free because we travel with firearm. We got this from the SAA sales management in Copenhagen, some of the hunters got soem problems on their way back home too Norway, they simply bougth to many gift and curiosa and the weight got over 20 kg +5 kg, and they had to pay overweightfee

Salesagent

Africa hunting

Posts: 131 | Location: Loeten the home of the aquavit, Norway | Registered: 12 February 2008Reply With Quote