Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Muzzle Brakes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ganyana
My Brother's PH had a more ingenious way of dealing with this problem. David used to use a 375 WBY in a relatively light weight pre 64 model 70. The rifle was not ported but its recoil was vicious. Clive (PH) got into the habit of stealing David's 375 WBY ammo when he first arrived so that David had to use Clive's 375 H&H ammo thus taming the rifle considerably. I think that I'm going to take that rifle on my next trip to Bots , in David's memory, but I'll use it with 375 H&H ammo.
TerryR

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Where do I get one of those?!?

Posts: 244 | Location: Winnipeg, Canada | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
If one should need a gun so heavy that he had to relay on a gun bearer or so bad kicking gun that he needs to reduce the reciol in order to be able to shoot it frankly i don't call it sport. in a test made by a swedish gunwriter the 6,5x55 with old army steel jaket bullet outpenetrated the mighty 375 H&H with all manner of solid bullets by more than a foot when firing att an old oak. there are plenty of rifles which can down an dangerous game with lot less recoil and blast like 9,3x62 or 376 styer and could be made with reasonable weight. why bother to bring a gun which is on the top of scale. a bad shoot from 460 weatherby won't kill a game but a good one from a 6,5 would do it all the time. ask caramajo about it!!good marksmanship and being acustomed to a gun that you can shoot a runnung rabbit at least 6 time of ten every time would certainly be a better life insurance. it is not pleasent to shoot hundereds of rounds with a 460 but no problem with lesser guns with or without a brake. i am not an african hunter but, long a go i tried both 375 and 458 win and found that if i miss the first shot it will take a few second recovering from the recoil of 458 and a bit less with 375 and it would be enough to get killed by a mad jumbo or rhino! anyway i didn't miss the target a single time both rifle were good shooters but the weight of those rifles was murdering not a joy to carry a day long.
best regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure glad that no one has strong opinions about this!!!
mike

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Try Radio Shack, thats where I got mine, but carefull it will freak out your grandkids when the answer the phone!

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote