THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Health Certificate; which countries require them?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health Certificate; which countries require them?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I've read where some countries require that you have a health certificate in order to enter their country. Which countires are these and what all do they want to see listed? I've had all of the shots needed for Zim and Tanzania, so I feel good about being properly inocculated, but I don't think each thing I've had done is on the certificate that I was given when I recently got a yellow fever shot. I'm sure I could go back and get various things added to the certificate and get it MD certified if needed.
On Mims Reed's web page I read the following:

quote:
Do not forget the little yellow immunization record book nor forget to have the Dr. sign off that he gave you the required shots for the country you are going into. I put mine inside my passport. If you show up at the airport and can not show their customs that you had those shots you most likely will be on the next plane out of the country. You will never get out of the airport.

When I enter a country that might want this kind of thing (is Tanzania one of them?), what all are they wanting to see?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure T. Carr can give you the links, but that little yellow card is definitely required in Tanzania and most others and should be kept with your passport. Tanzania requires alot of stuff and as long as your doc signs off on your info being current you'll be fine.

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Seq
posted Hide Post
Someone else might be able to give you a more complete answer on which countries want which shots, but I would get all my shots on that one form (The WHO International Certificate of Vaccination) and keep it with my passport as suggested. It just makes it easier when entering a country.

S.

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I am not aware of any of the safari countries (RSA, NAM, ZIM, BOT, ZAM or TNZ) that require any proof of vaccination. Unless you are coming from a country where there is an outbreak of some communicable disease or a country where a disease is endemic.

This from the Tanzanian Embassy

"IMMUNISATION.

Visitors from countries infected with CHOLERA and YELLOW FEVER must produce international certificates of vaccination. This is particularly relevant for those travelling from or passing through other neighboring countries, including members of the East African Co-operation (Kenya and Uganda) and vice versus. It is also important to note that travelers from the main land (Tanzania) to the island of Zanzibar would need to have a yellow fever certificate.

ADVICE.

Travelers who proceed to Tanzania directly -non stop- from un-infected areas are still advised, but not compelled, to get immunised against Yellow fever and to take prescribed anti-malaria tablets course; a few days prior to arrival, during your stay, and for a short period after returning. Anti-mosquito cream and\or mosquito-repeller are very useful, particularly in the coastal region at night, to treat mosquito bite or to keep them away from your body."

If you are arriving from the USA or via RSA, you are not required to have a Yellow Fever vaccination when entering TNZ. However, because Yellow Fever is endemic in certain areas of TNZ, you may need proof of your Yellow Fever Vaccination to enter other countries once you leave TNZ. I can't recall if RSA required us to show our Yellow Card when we returned from Tanzania, seems that they did want to see it.

Some resources:

CDC Travel

World Health Organization

State Department Foreign Entry Requirements

Regards,

Terry

P.S.

"Travelers entering South Africa from countries where yellow fever is endemic are often required to present their yellow World Health Organization (WHO) vaccination record or other proof of inoculation, or they must be inoculated at the airport in order to be permitted entry."

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
Every country in Africa requires the little yellow World Health Organization card (frequently called the "who" card) and requires the yellow fever vaccination. At this time it is the only vaccination that needs to be shown on the card, at least in the fifteen countries I regularly visit. It is not always asked for but you are required to have it.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight. It sounds like with my yellow fever card in hand I'm good to go.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote