Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with Fauna and Flora
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Uplandhunter
posted
I believe this will be the receiveng broker in the U.S. for our animals. Does anyone have experience with them? Good, Bad, or just plain Horror stories. I know very little about receiving trophys back into the U.S. any help would be appreciated.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair

http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 203 | Location: Northeast, Nebraska | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used their services once in 2003 and now have my 2005 shipment in transit with them as well.

It has been a very enjoyable experience dealing with Mr. Meehan / Fauna and Flora. They are unusually quick to respond to questions and everything was delivered exactly as promised.

Contact John Meehan with your questions and concerns.

My experience has been with the Ocean cargo shipping scheme only but I can't imagine that their service differs on the air cargo too much.

I understand that we are paying someone to do something that we could be doing ourselves [clear the trophies through Customs and USF&W, and Dept of Ag]. But the alternative involves a trip to an entry port and some work that may be more efficiently done by them. Depends on where you are and what your time is worth I guess.

Contact John by email in the morning with your questions and time the response. My initial request for a quote and his receipt confirmation [not automated] took 19 minutes. followed by a phone call from him within the hour. Not bad these days!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Joel C
posted Hide Post
They were very efficient when I used them last year.

Posts: 130 | Location: Ripon, WI | Registered: 09 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They were very efficient in '02 and '03 when I used them last. I plan on using them again this year. Everything was cleared and shipped to my Taxidermist with no hitches.
Robert

Posts: 115 | Location: Garner, NC | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Living where I do they are the logical choice for me and I have used them several times. They work in conjunction with SACS and have always provided top notch, door to door service.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13613 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them a year ago. I had four crates brought back. I did not have any problems at all. There was no verbal problems as I had with the first brokerage firm that I had used, and no paperwork problems either they took care of everything. Very fast turn around and delivery, after the trophies got here. This firm is very good to work with.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No problem with them at all. John Meehan is a first class guy. They will work with you on a "housebill" if several of you are together where Carol at Coppersmith will tell you it is illegal just to be able to charge more money. I have done this several times and each time the forwarder used Coppersmith, told me what she said, and yet John Meehan made it happen and legally. Some make like Coppesmith, I do not.

Stay with F&F

York, SC

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I just used them for Ocean cargo from Zimbabwe. They were very good to deal with. No surprises. I will use them again.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
thumb

I follow-up w/F&F a few weeks after the shipment leaves Africa, to check the status and make sure they have the correct address for inland shipping. If you provide an airbill number, they can track shipment. Otherwise, you'll hear from them w/costs when the trophies have about cleared and are ready for forwarding or pickup.

Here is what F&F charged me, excluding shipping, on a shipment received last month:

- Breakbulk Services $80 (this is based on weight, my crate was ~155lbs)
- Carriers Certificate & Release $25
- Terminal handling $25
- Customs Entry Service Fee $225
- Special Messenger Service $20
- Reforwarding Service $25

TOTAL = $400.00

Edit: Note F&F does not charge more for multiple crates. Fee is $225 for the first hunter, then $75 for any additional.

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grafton
posted Hide Post
I highly recommend Fauna & Flora. As said above, John Meehan is a super nice guy and has always provided me with excellent customer service.

SAFARI ARTS TAXIDERMY
http://www.safariarts.net/

Posts: 1378 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Uplandhunter:

I used Fauna & Flora back in 1993 to import a buff through the Port of NY. I cannot say enough in paise of this outfit. (I even visited their office and was treated like visiting royalty. All questions were patiently answered. I was reassured not to worry about this or that. They were just simply great. I remember how, after the buff cleared and had been sent on to my PA taxidermist, I was told that nobody had asked for the crate to be opened - except Dept. of Agriculture -to check for spraying. They also told me that I might like to know that whoever crated the buff did a great job!. I was told how many buffs often arrived with horn tips broken off because of poor crating)

I am happy to add my name to more recent users of Fauna & Flora in praise of this outfit. ( BTW, since this IS St. Patrick's Day, I'm happy to read all the praise for Mr. Meehan!) Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Uplander used him in 02 and now he will be receiving my shipment in a month or two...

Will be speaking to him this weekend in Pa at a Lehigh Valley SCI fundraiser...

Want me to ask him any questions....

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about sea freight to the Left coast. Are they doing that?

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
Crane,
If you are talking about Sea freight from africa, then I will come to NY and then be trucked to the west. If you are talking about freight from Down under....I have no idea but guess they do not do anything. I think they try to focus on New York Port only. Give John a call to be sure.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
I would not use them, as in 1998 when my trophies from my '96 safari I had done in RSA (wouldn't do that again, either) were shipped I specified they go to Atlanta; instead, F&F got ahold of them and I had to pay an addition $800 to have them trucked down from NY.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1553 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Just received my trophies through them a couple weeks ago. Very professional to deal with. I was very anxious to recieve my stuff, and they had no problem calling to find out the status, etc. I am sure they get lots of those calls.
I would recommend them, but having only done one overseas hunt, I have nothing to compare to.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2597 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of G L Krause
posted Hide Post
My trophies from Zambia just hit my taxidermist a few weeks ago using F&F and everything went perfectly.

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do; nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy him, and him only, that kills bigger deer than I do." Izaak Walton (modified)

one of us
Picture of SnakeLover
posted Hide Post
I've used them twice and coppersmith once. F&F was good on the communication, paperwork and because they worked with my taxidermist, had reduced rate shipping here in the states via UPS ground. I'd use them again.

Posts: 472 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My question would be how do they handle the shipment if a problem occurs.
Didn't Ann of Aspen Hills get worked over by him to the tune of a few hundred dollars after John took possesion of her trophies that were headed to another taxi in NJ?
I do not claim to know the intimate details of this but I have heard a few rumors.

Posts: 100 | Location: Thompkin Corners, Sullivan Co. Penna | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've used their services twice, and they handled things perfectly.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Didn't Ann of Aspen Hills get worked over by him to the tune of a few hundred dollars after John took possesion of her trophies that were headed to another taxi in NJ?

This is correct, he has done this to me twice now.

I have no problem with F&F if a person wants to hire them to handle their shipment. I'm sure Mr. Meehan does a very fine job.

I don't need his services and yet have been forced a second time now to liberate my trophies and pay a lot of extra money. I was just charged somewhere's in the amount of an extra $500 PLUS (probably closer to $600) to get my Zim shipment last week.

The very ugly details may eventually get posted if "someone" doesn't pay me back. My crate was marked Newark, not JFK.

No more details for now as this is not a happy situation for me at all.

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann,

Is the shipping company following your wishes when it sends the shipments to the USA?

Seems like it would be hard for a New york broker to be involved if they had sent the trophies to the proper place.

I do not remember all the details of your previous incident, but twice seems something is seriously amiss!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ann, hope to see you at the Flint SCI next week. Will say hello if I see you. I am curious as LHowell is. Who messed up, the shipper or F&F? I had something like that happen on a TZ hunt a couple of years ago. My trophies came into Houston instead of Detroit. My Safari company I booked with SwanScan paid the extra costs as they had made an error in the Dar Es Salam side on where to ship. Curious who is at fault in your case.

York, SC

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
My shipping instructions were ignored even though the crate was properly addressed and I made it clear I would pay my freight before the crate left the dark continent.

We photographed the crate upon arrival and there is a wonderful email trail. Many people here would be seriously offended by what was written in these emails. I hope to resolve the situation with out posting them but I will post if I have to.

I was ignored so other people could make a lot of money. It was very expensive for me and in my opinion, just hurts the industry.

Again, I'll state, if you want to hire a broker, more power to you. Just don't FORCE it when it is not wanted.

~Ann

Posts: 19545 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used them last year and everything was handled firat class. I've used three diffent companies and this shipment went the smoothest, including getting several hogs and a leapard cleared.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
I can't say enough good about them. Of the hunters that have gone with me to Africa, the ones using other companies have had problems, and the rest of us (using flora and fauna) have had none.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
Would like to share with you that my chapter of SCI sponsored a Disabled Veteran hunt to Africa three years in a row. After the first year when Mr. Meehan heard of the undertaking, he (quietly) volunteered his services the next two years to take care of all trophy shipping matters. Wouldn't take a penny from us and never asked for fanfare.

In my book he's a stand-up guy and it's a stand-up outfit.

I've personally used F&F three times and will use them on my next trip!

Posts: 3276 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote