Notify
Tools

Stop poaching by legalising
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
'Stop poaching by legalising'
2010-08-25 22:52

Johannesburg - The Wildlife Ranching South Africa (WRSA) on Wednesday called for trade in rhino horn to be legalised to combat rhino poaching in southern Africa.

Condemning the killing of rhinos to promote the illegal trade in rhino horn, WRSA said it believed the situation was out of control and that "urgent new initiatives" had to be taken to deal with the crisis.

WRSA manager Reinhardt Holtzhausen said the re-introduction of rhino horn to the trade industry, under strict control and standards, and overseen by South African authorities would be the "key to the solution".

According to WRSA, over 180 rhinos have been killed in South Africa in the last eight months alone.

The matter of poaching has been given top priority, but the steps taken to date have not been "totally effective", he said.

Commenting on the recent reported death of a man in Bangkok because of contaminated rhino horn, Holtzhausen said he empathised with game farmers, but that "the means do not justify the end".

"WRSA is committed to urgently facilitate a rethink with all key stakeholders, including the authorities, to devise initiatives that result in a concerted, bold and speedy breakthrough," he said.

- SAPA

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9500 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimFrosty
posted Hide Post
Legalising Rhino hunting is something that could possibly bring about an upturn in the populations.

Currently in Zimbabwe, Rhino are protected by law, but still poached . Protection of these species is largely handled by private individuals using funds from donors etc.Fact is, it is a losing battle and numbers continue to decline

If 5% of the Rhino population was legally hunted and the proceeds from these hunts went directly back into research and protection programs then I would have no problem with it. The problem however lies with the fact that it is highly unlikely that the proceeds from such hunts would end up in the right hands........but heres hoping??

Posts: 459 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 11 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why they don't simply allow the Chinese etc to buy the live animals, ship them home and start farming them over there.

Seems like the ideal solution to me and in fact, it would probably be a huge benefit to the species as a whole.

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Steve, simple solution, brilliant!

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
With a bit of genetic engineering from the clever bastards, (to coin a phrase from Ian Dury http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOtgqJive-Y) they could probably develop a fast growing horn or a five horned rhino! Eeker Wink