THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Lake Chamo Crocodiles are closed for hunting

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lake Chamo Crocodiles are closed for hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I received an email today from Rich Elliot of Ethiopian Rift Valley Safaris; sadly Lake Chamo will be closed for hunting after July 8, 2007. They were completely booked up all the way through 2010 and not booking any more clients. He said none of that mattered though as the entire Lake was now (soon) closed to hunting. He didnt say why the change in regulations but he didnt sound happy about it either.

Lake Chamo in Ethiopia has been taking consistent 17ft crocodiles and ERVS said it was only a matter of time before a 20ft croc was to be found. Sad for the rest of us but congratulations to those who were lucky enough to hunt there.

Here is a link from the SCI #1 on huntingreport.com:

http://www.huntingreport.com/trophy_gallery.cfm?id=120

Posts: 35 | Location: KS | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there any news on why crocodile hunting in Lake Chamo was closed. I was one of the lucky ones who hunted there (July of 2006 - 17 1/2 feet).

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hkyhunter:
Is there any news on why crocodile hunting in Lake Chamo was closed. I was one of the lucky ones who hunted there (July of 2006 - 17 1/2 feet).

I assume the measurement was taken "over the curves", as seems the norm these days?
Did you also happen to measure it "peg-to-peg"? I'd be very interested in the comparision. Thank You.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is there any news on why crocodile hunting in Lake Chamo was closed.

He didnt say. He posts either here or at Nitroexpress.com - I often get the two confused to what I read and where. Hopefully he will log on and tell us.

Posts: 35 | Location: KS | Registered: 05 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The measurement was over the curves. I was curious about that myself, but was told that is how crocs are now measured. Did not get a between the pegs measurement.

Posts: 75 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 05 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
The measurement was over the curves. I was curious about that myself, but was told that is how crocs are now measured. Did not get a between the pegs measurement.

Much appreciated. I was just hoping to get some real comparative data from an objective source. Smiler Thanks Again.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, you get roughly 12 - 18 inches more over the curvedepending on who is measuring Wink

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwanamich:
In my experience, you get roughly 12 - 18 inches more over the curvedepending on who is measuring Wink

That falls in line with that which I've gleaned from reports over the years, regardless of species. It is my contention that a peg-to-peg measurement should be done, whenever possible, accompanied by an over-the-curves measurement.
Over time, such will establish the baseline differentials between the two systems which may prove helpful in instances where only one of the two systems had been employed in the past and also in the formulation of comparisions of specimens of similar length but clearly disimilar weight and girth. While I am of the opinion there exists today, no 20 foot specimen of Nile crocodile, I would be as thrilled as the next guy to be proven wrong. Love them crocs! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is my contention that a peg-to-peg measurement should be done, whenever possible, accompanied by an over-the-curves measurement.

I agree with Nickudu.

It is important to remember that animals like crocodiles (and lizards etc) increase in weight/bulk to the cube of their length.

Thus a 16 ft compared to 15 ft:

16/15 X 16/15 X 16/15 = 1.21.....thus a 20% increase in size.

If measuring along the curves adds 18 inches then that means a 15 footer becomes 16.5 feet. However, a "genuine" 16.5 footer will weigh a 1/3rd more than a 15 footer.

A 17 footer "peg to peg".......note the difference to "trophy sizes" Eeker

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssmTN2kCgMQ

Posts: 271 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 March 2007Reply With Quote