New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cabelas - Buffalo Specials
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever booked with Cabelas for buffalo?

I'd like to know how it worked out.

I called for information and they seemed evasive, only offering the Hunting trip catalog, although they did know the areas in ZIM. They're using 6 PH's, but didn't know their names, plus I couldn't get any contract information or idea of the other costs. I would hate to think that I had to order it over the internet before you get a contract.

Thanks Guys & Ann

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I will say I have heard the same thing as Ganyana. Cabelas are possibly using Out of Africa who are illegally hunting in Zim. Buyer beware!

I can certainly help you with legitimate outfitters in Zim or anywhere else on the African Continent for buffalo, or for that matter, what ever you want to hunt.

Posts: 19235 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, I don't think Cabelas ever sends anyone to check out hunts before they book them. I have hunted a few places with outfitters who booked through Cabelas and they told me they never actually saw anyone who represented them.

I have met some hunters who have had good experiences and some who have had bad ones. If you have doubts, you should book with an agent you can trust and can talk to. When you ask questions, it should become apparent whether or not the agent knows anything about the hunt he/she wants to sell you. I would start with an agent who has been there. Several who post on this board would be good beginning points. Ray or Ann, for example, have been there. They should give you good advice. I have never used either, but would not hesitate to do so based upon the recommendations of others I trust.

In summary, there are cheap hunts out there. If price is your only consideration, you will probably get what you pay for. Price should be one consideration, but the quality of the experience should be paramount.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have talked with Cabela's before and they never seem to call back and when you do get hold of them they are not very helpful. I know it's no excuse, but you wonder how many call they get a day from Billy Bob that want's to talk the talk but not walk the walk. The might be a little gun shy on investing to much time with someone unless they can tell it is a serious inquiry.

I've also talked with OOA before and after one phone conversation where they were not to willing to get into specifics and just kept saying "We can accomodate you", "Just send us a deposit", hung up and have never looked back. Any dealing with OOA get's what they deserve.

Posts: 543 | Location: Belmont, MI | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't say about Cabela's in Africa. I didn't hunt with them for plains game because they couldn't tailor the package that I wanted, but I've hunted with them three times in the U. S. and Canada. Great hunts, great outfitters, great guides all three times.

I'm probably going after buffalo in 2006. I'll listen to what Cabela's has to offer. I also have an acquaintance in Zimbabwe, and an outfitter I like in South Africa that hunts Zambia. If I'm not able to hunt with my friend and his family I'll give the other two a shot, and see who wants it the worst.

I try not to listen to too many ghost stories, they tend to scare me.

Posts: 13811 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anytime you see a cheap buffalo hunt, the first question to ask is what does the price include, such as license, concession fees, trophy fee for one buffalo, air charter in and out of camp, taxes?????????

A buff hunt cost so much to do, and when I see hunts for sale at below what they cost to administer, that is misleading advertisment and should be frowned upon IMO.....

Posts: 41973 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I agree 110% with you on this one. Beware cheap buff hunts, a few guys were offering some last year (including Cabellas) in an area where there were no buff. The outfitters still had no problem charging day fees that reflected dg hunts, but in fringe areas or areas where buff just were not present. There are too many good guys out there offering these hunts for people to be falling for the scams, but some folks still do every year.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
patrkyhntr:

As a point of information, I shared a camp in Colorado a few years ago with a Cabela's employee who was there for the specific purpose of checking out the operation. Just FYI.

Posts: 192 | Location: Norman, OK USA | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The only thing you will get from Cabela's is a more expensive hunt with their fee tacked on top of a hunt you can research here. Do your homework here and forget the big "C"........

I went on a west Texas pronghorn hunt a couple of years ago and there was a group of "Cabelas's hunters" in our group. The only difference was that they paid $500 more for the same hunt.

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob, you are right.

Any booking agent critical of Cabela's is sort self promotion...

I have booked with Cabelas twice. One hunt, that I booked with Greg Severinson (SP?) was wonderful - fantastic. The other (for buffalo), thru Russell Seele, was a disaster. I have since just booked my own.

Who needs a booking agent? Just do some research on the Internet yourself...

But I will say this about the bad Cabelas hunt: I complained, and got back around $1600. Ann and Ray, when is the last time you did this for a client? Give me some names, and you might have my business...

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you do book though- with any agent, but in the light of recent information, particularly Cabelas- for a Hunt in Zimbabwe please do yourself a favour and find out who the local operator is and check with the association first- Having Fish & Wildlife or the EU equivalent arriving to talk to you about recieving stolen property isn't good for the nerves.

In defence of decent booking agents though, Most reputable operators give the agent a discount and sell to the man off the street at the same price as the agent. Some booking agents though try to "top up" on their income by adding and extra 50 bucks a day or whatever. In terms of Zimbabwe though this cuases problems when it commes to the export of trophies if Parks or the bank finds out - see NP form 11 the client fills in on arrival.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one time I took exception to Cabela's advertising on a bull elk hunt after talking to the outfitter, Cabela's offered to switch me to another hunt. I declined and got a nice 6 x 6.

They also called me back later and had a cancellation on a stone sheep hunt that I could have for half price. I declined because I couldn't hit the dates in question.

I find Cabela's hunting operation to be nothing but professional. I deal with Ed Beattie.

As far as gear, Campmor beats their price all to Hell.

Posts: 13811 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected on this one.

Posts: 853 | Location: St. Thomas, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 08 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Another:

I got a 100% return through Ray for a botched hunt, even though Ray, nor his outfitter had anything to do with the screw-up (and the figure was five figures +.) This was after all the overhead in preperation was spent, I had been driven a thousand miles or so, fed, drunk whiskey, etc. I never asked for the money but was just sat down, brought a whiskey and handed a check.

If you wonder why Ray and I are close... I can tell you that his integrety in making it right sure did help my opinion of him. That and he's the father of my pit bulls new puppies..

Hey Ray.. quit climbing in the pen.

Posts: 7592 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Judge:

Well, maybe I should book a hunt thru Ray. Putting your money where your mouth is is important to me.

Posts: 7575 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I booked a couple good hunts through Cabella's and then had a nightmare,please add my vote to the stay away from Cabella's column.They do not stand behind their service.I would like to meet a booking agent who would. I do my research and try to make the best chioce on reccomendations from other hunters.DD

Posts: 74 | Location: Sunrise,Florida | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Ann and Ray, when is the last time you did this for a client? Give me some names, and you might have my business...

AAW, In the past I had a PH run off with a deposit on an elephant hunt. I refunded the hunter out of my own pocket. Why that outfitter went bad is beyond me as I had known him a very long time. I am still working on a recovery of money and other client trohpies from this same person. I expect it will work out in time. Trust me, I never give up.

This past season my last private property Zim outfit was seized and I found my booked clients somewhere else to go ASAP. I got nothing at all for the booking, not one dime, but my hunters got their buffalo. Other than that, I have not had issues with hunter complaints through out the time of my business.

I do have occasion where a hunter did not recover shot game and I do my best to work with them in recovering the animal if possible.

For Africa, few problems are really ever encountered if clients follow my (free) advice. Besides the hunt booking particulars, I offer a full service package from airfare anywhere, trophy shipping and taxidermy. You don't have to elect to use my recommended associates, but they are there and top quality professionals. Just like my outfitters. If you don't use my shippers, my taxidermist, my etc, you may have problems.

I do not add on to any pricing period. What you get from me is what the outfitter is charging. So why shop on the internet if it doesn't cost you a penny more for a hunt through an agent? Booking is a very time consuming business so don't get the idea it is easy, it isn't. There are more tire kickers out there than truly serious hunters. Oh, and when I get something for free, I will be sure to let you know too. My outfits run the gamut on pricing from some, more on the budget end, all the way to the expensive ones in Tanzania and Botswana. I've worked for other agencies and was not happy with some of the things they did so I went on my own.

There are some places I won't book people to, particularly put and take areas of Africa. There are things I can't help you with, like late airplanes, bad weather, poor shooting, lost luggage when you get to your destination. We always try and recover what we can. My concern is that my clients are happy in the end.

Challenges like yours, AAW, are unfair and unnecessary and quite frankly, rude. No one on these forums has ever written a bad experience when they booked through me.

Now if you all don't mind, book your hunts through an independant agent. Maybe Cabela's charges extra, I don't.

I am packing right now for a nice long trip to New Brunswick for moose, bear and salmon fishing. I leave early tomorrow so I hope all of you are ready to book some hunts when I return at the end of the month.

Posts: 19235 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann:

I have had very good luck just buying hunting reports from Don Causey, calling the references, and then booking on my own. When I went to NZ, I found out my guide has a guy he works for, who then sells to many in the US.

I may take up the booking agent thing myself one day - I could write off more of my hunting that way. I travel internationally all the time, seen a lot of good and bad, why not?

As for refunding, good for you.

There is one thing Cabela's does that few do: you can use your Cabela's points to pay for hunts, and since I run most of business expenses thru my Cabela's card (except payroll) I get a ton of points there. I will admit it doesn't tip the scales, but it is a big plus. If all else where equal, I would book thru them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

I think it makes good sense to use an experienced booking agent who processes enough volume of hunts to be able to cover a hunt gone bad, especially for a first hunt. Everyone who runs a business knows about having to cover some expenses that are not your fault and which you shouldn't really have to pay for, but you do it because it's the right thing to do. For a client returning to the same reputable safari company year after year, it may not be necessary to use a booking agent, but of course there can be more risk in direct booking because there is no agent to give you a heads up or make things right if there is a goof up. On the other hand, booking sight unseen with anyone without performing some due diligence is risky too.

Perhaps Cabelas is so big that they are not able to manage their operation effectively and have therefore run some bad hunts (and some illegal hunts in ZIM with Out of Africa). Or maybe they just don't care - I cannot tell.

As a note, SCI still allows Out of Africa to advertise in their publications which I think is wrong. It send the message that SCI is all about money and not about ethics.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
500 grains,

I am on the SCI Board and I noticed. I have sent the Zim folks an email asking them to provide a legal package that I can take forward to confront this situation. I haven't got an answer yet, which may just be the normal Africa email gremlins. I will keep asking.

For action I need official people to take official notice, and get away from rumor-level stuff.

jim

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know the truth, but Cabela's are named in the local press at the weekend as beeing the booking agents for some of the illegal hunts up in the Gwaai. US fish & Wildlife have been informed of the hunts.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote