Find
Notify
Tools

Y' mean a gun case like this?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
A Pelican SPC 1759GC? Looking for specific recommendations on cases to hold two scoped bolt guns.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16529 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DC Roxby
posted Hide Post
I use one of the Cabelas "Bullet Proof" Heavy Duty cases with wheels and flip out luggage rack. I did some slight mods to the luggage rack so that it could not open in transit (lots of velcro), but otherwise am very happy with it. Very sturdy construction and the wheels make moving through an airport very easy. I just throw my duffle on top and wheel everything away. With two rifles the case comes in under fifty pounds. It uses a case length rod to lock down the latches making it basically impossible for the case to pop open, my worst nightmare. It will be scratched up after one flight but it would be tough to damage a rifle in one of these. Wheels are well designed and built. Handles spring closed automatically. Good value in my opinion.

Make sure you get the model with .080 thick walls! ("Heavy Duty" model).

I don't shoot elk at 600 yards for the same reasons I don't shoot ducks on the water, or turkeys from their roosts. If this confuses you then you're not welcome in my hunting camp.

Posts: 566 | Location: Ouray, CO | Registered: 17 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a pelican 1750 -- think it's the same/a similar case. The foam's a little irritating to cut out, (getting a foam cutting tool from a hobby shop makes it a lot easier.) but it does a great job protecting my guns. There are two layers of foam in the bottom of the case. If you keep the foam you cut out, you can cut the other piece to hold other guns, and swap them back and forth -- or just get more foam from pelican.

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I have the same Cabela's case without the rack. I went one better and cut fitted inserts like I have in my Browning. Have had no problems with it except the airlines scratch and gouge it up with seemingly no effort. The welds are good and the corners clipped and all the hardware is top rate, couple of master locks and you are in business. Reasonably inexpensive also. It came with an offer from the manufacturer for a name plate which I sent for and attached so it's well marked with identification.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard an electric knife works to cut out the foam.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an SKB that has cut outs specifically for two scoped rifles. The foam is very thick and dense with the rifle side by side instead of stacked on top of one another. Has four keyed locks and wheels. Has worked well for me on four trips.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" - Emerson

Posts: 106 | Location: Rockwall, Texas | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I prefer aluminum cases and the Cabelas 0.08" Bulletproof model is one of the best made. I have one and it is indestructible.

I also like Americase products. I have one of those and have never had cause to complain.

I am sure that the Pelican is nearly as good, or maybe just as good. But I prefer metal to plastic, all else being equal.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13473 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
This is a Pelican 1750. I used an electric carving knife to do the foam cutting...like a hot knife through butter!!!

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried it yet so don't blame me if it doesn't work but...if you've got a big freezer, put the foam in it first and let it get nice and solid, then cut it. This is what a bed foam manufacturer once told me.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote