New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antibiotics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any ideas on a good general purpose antibiotic that I can take to Africa incase of the runs or tick fever. One the won't make you sun sentive would be good. Some one on this site had mentioned an electrolyte powder mix that was better than gator aid, anyone know what this was called and where to get it?

Posts: 472 | Location: Bothell WA | Registered: 31 July 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Doxycycline for tick bite fever (does make one sensitive to the sun) [2 tablets a day for 7 days] and Cipro for traveler's diarrhea [2 tablets a day for 3 days].

The electrolyte powder I take is called CeraLyte 70. I have used it at a reduced concentration to avoid dehydration when in the Selous (it tastes like crap). When in cooler climates like Zim, I just use Gatorade, but still take some CeraLyte just in case of diarrhea.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Terry for the info. Would the Cipro work for tick fever also? Have you tried Ultra Thon insect repllent listed by the same company?

Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the Cipro on tick bite fever. Haven't tried the Ultra Thon either, sorry.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I took a Z pak. Comprised of 3 tablets. Equals a full course of antibiotics. Fortunately I didn't need it but had specifically for tick issues.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
I've been using the Ultra Thon for several years. It's good stuff, and seems to last for quite a while, even when you sweat. I prefer the cream, over the spray.

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I've taken a Z-pak in the past, but this year my doctor recommended that I take a Leva-pak, saying it was an antibiotic that would treat the lower abdomen issues that I was more likely to encounter in Africa than the things a Z-pak would likely help. Fortunately I didn't need either, so if you need a nice little 750mg Leva-pak for your trip, let me know... Wink

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Donato:
Any ideas on a good general purpose antibiotic that I can take to Africa incase of the runs or tick fever. One the won't make you sun sentive would be good. Some one on this site had mentioned an electrolyte powder mix that was better than gator aid, anyone know what this was called and where to get it?

DOXY does not make everyone sun sensitive ///

I am just fine with it BUT then I am an OLD RHODESIAN so who knows it might be luck or something in my genes ....

It is my FIRST CHOICE exclusive Malaria preventitive measure as well

I swear by DOXY and a tetanus injection and that is all /// nothing more nothing less

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
Ultrathon - is as effective as warding off insects as it is at stripping the finish from the dashboard of my truck! It is very good at both.

Don't get it on anything plastic!!

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You could get by with just cipro. Its what I bring with me to Africa, Mexico, and Central America. Ciprofloxacin 750 mg twice a day probably works as well or better than most of the organisms, notably including Ricketsia, that are lumped into "Tick Bite Fever". I believe its near impossible to definitively diagnose one of these bugs vrs the others in time enough to treat, so treatment is empiric to cover those most likely. Ticks carry a variety of these and can carry other unrelated bugs too. The rickettsia come in many flavors and are among the bugs that cause thypus (big killer during social collapse/war) and Rocky Mountain Spotted fever. Nothing wrong with doxy, except sun sensitivity in some, but that can be pretty bad if it occurs. I suspect doxy is pushed primarily because of public health considerations (its way cheaper to treat large populations, especially in the 3rd world), and if and when everyone takes cipro, a lot of other bugs will become resistent. Neither zithromax (Z-pack) or doxy are anywhere's as good for diarrhea, and in fact zithromax in particular could theoretically worsen a gut infection (they don't work against the anerobes and gram negative bacilli living there).

When all is said and done, primary prevention (keeping them off you) is way better than treating the disease(s).

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doctor prescribed Levaquin for diarrhea. One tablet a day for three days at first symptoms. Pure water quenched my thirst.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
onefunzr2:
Levaquin and cipro are very closely related, with near identical spectra of anti-microbial activity, and clinically interchangably about 95% of the time. Levaquin is a good choice for these tropical things too, and I think might be a little cheaper than cipro.

Posts: 81 | Location: too far east | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ICUdoc, do you mean that cipro can take care of both tick fever and diarrhea?

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My doc has recommended Zithromax and Cipro for the past several years so that's what I've taken along.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13653 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Donato,

I took doxy and cipro...the ultra thon is super for bug juice..I also took gatorade in powder to mix with the bottled water and it is super...end of day I still had a lot left in me for walking and feeling not exhausted...On line you can buy powdered gatorade in quart size packets mean will mix to quart size container..
anti diarehea pills also..
Mike
DVD's headed your way...

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In answer to Donato, the short answer is yes. In reality, without sophisticated testing that takes several days, it is usually impossible to diagnose the actual cause of diarrhea. It is a syndrome of different infections, that clinically are usually similar. Cipro will take care of most, and (with levaquin) is probably the single best antibiotic. For diarrhea, adding levaquin or azithromycin, do nothing extra.
Too, it works for most causes of "tick fever", also a syndrome of different infections.
I can choose what I like, and end up just taking cipro with me when I travel (KISS principle).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Z pak, Cipro for food poisoning, Doxycycline for tick fever usually works fast, Metamucil and Lonox tablets for diarrhea and to be used with the cipro with a severe case...some kind of a pain killer also....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to haggle minor details with Dr. Atkinson, but in my >20 years of practice I can't remember hearing or seeing of a single bug, especially living in your gut, that "Z-pacs" (azithromycin) will cover any better than ciprofloxacin or levaquin, and the latter additionally have much better antimicrobial activity against the gram negative rods (shigella, salmonella, etc.) that are real bad actors (or the E. coli that cause urinary tract infections in woman, or older guys with prostate issues). Most of us snicker amongst ourselves when we see a colleague prescribe both. Somewhat similarly, either of the fluroquinolones (cipro and levaquin) have pretty much the same spectrum of activity as the tetracycline-like doxy against the Rickettsia that usually cause tick fever. There's actually good reason not to willy-nilly take more flavors than you need (emergence of resistent organisms, cummulative/synergistic side effects, increased risk of sensitization, etc.).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Didn't say that, just ment it's one of the medicines I take in my overnight bag for cold or flu..I take Lanox and Cipro for food poisoning along with a pain killer..Doxy for tick fever...My doctors had 40 years experience and thats what he recommends that I take...So sniker at him....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As an aside, colds and flu are viral, and any or all of these antibiotics have no effect to either prevent, lessen, or shorten these diseases. A guy feels miserable, starts taking pills and gets better. Guess what: he would have done so anyhow. Docs (and I've done this myself) often usually give out antibiotics in the office or ER to patients coming in with these things, with the full realization that they are ineffective. The majority of antibiotic prescriptions for out patients (not in the hospital) really can't be justified by sound medical practice. I guess most times we ignore or forget the downside (see earlier post). Its hard to get someone who is demanding "something to make me better" placated with an explanation, so a prescription is easier. Not a good way to do things, but its how its done. One of the reasons Z-pacs are so popular is they are easy for patients to take (and especially, quick for the doc to explain how to do it).

Of course, there are exceptions like post-viral purulent sinusitis or pneumonia, but usually guys with these are real sick (not just feeling bad). I believe a big cause of death with Swine flu after WW1 (20 million people) was Staph pneumonia (otherwise rare outa the hospital). Sinusitis and pneumonia require radiographs for real diagnoses (snotty noses are not the same), and these occur comparitively infrequently in otherwise healthy guys, but if I were feeling real bad in Africa I'd start my cipro.

If you are older and especially have been a heavy smoker prone to bronchitis, it may make sense too to get started earlier and have a lower threshold for AN antibiotic.

I and other reasonably conscientious docs have and will continue to snicker about illogical antibiotic combos, or treatment of colds with Z-pacs (although we've all done it at times).