New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H 300 gr or 350 gr?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'll be hunting buff in the Save in Sept. Getting some ammo from superior. Seems like 350 gr would be better for buff. Opinions?

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Kevin Robertson believes so and I agree.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Will you be hunting game other than buffalo? If not, the 350gr should do great- if you want a versatile rifle for a vareity of species, you'd likely be better served with a 300 gr. bullet.

More important that bullet weight is ensuring that the gun works flawlessly and that you're ready to do your part.

Have a great hunt, the Save is a special place.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I have never had a 300 gr bullet not perform on a buffalo.

Maybe there is a role for the 350 in shooting elephant, but as far as I am concerned, a 300 works fine. If I want more, I move to the bigger rifle, and with buffalo, it seems maybe they run 10 yards less with the Rigby than the H&H ... All depends on where you hit them.

The 350 has a much slower muzzle velocity, so it will not be as handy for some plains game shooting (or if you need to take a shot over 150 years for whatever reason)

Posts: 11033 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thierry Labat
posted Hide Post
My personal opinion is that the .375 H&H is know for its versatility using 300g. I'd stick to that! Thousands of buffalo have been successfully hunted with 300g bullets.

You are going to have a great buff hunt in the SAVE! Who are you going with?

Posts: 644 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 10 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are only after Buff or elephant or anything else under 100yard range then I think that the 350 grain does give some more penetration . I knocked over an elephant with a 350 grain barns 2300 fps at about 100 yards found it just under the skin on the other side . but if you will be shooting other game at 100 yards or more go for the 300 so you will not to re site in your rifle .. In any case you will be OK either way .

Posts: 920 | Location: Chico California | Registered: 02 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Suppose the following scenario plays out: You and your rifle arrive in camp, but your ammo doesn't. The only ammo you can scrounge up is 10 rounds of 300gr. You need to re-sight the rifle and adjust zero with at least 1-3 of those 10 rounds. Personally, I would take the 300 grain ammo. Gaining 17% in bullet weight, while losing 10% in velocity is not enough to make a difference to the buffalo, assuming, of course, that you shoot straight. Good luck.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anyone who tells you a 350 grain bullet kills better than a 300 grain bullet in the 375 is dreaming!

How does one kill a buffalo better than dead?? rotflmo

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300g Swift A Frame or similar bullet is all you need. I e-mailed Woodleigh a couple of weeks ago asking about their Hydro Static solids and what grain bullet to use on elephant and they recommended the 300g.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Have you tried a 350 grainer in your 375/404?

....you have lots of case capacity there..

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Saeed,

No, and never will either.

I don't mess up with something that works.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I have used both and the 350 seemed to me to have noticeably more effect on the buffalo. Of course shot placement trumps ft lbs.
As far as PG I use only one load and took a wildebeest at about 350 yards with the 350gr Woodleigh PP's. Just know your trajectories, the 350's are not far off from the 300's out to 350 yards or so.
That said, the 300's or 350's will both work fine as long as you use premium bullets. I wouldn't sweat using either. See what you rifle likes and practice.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thierry Labat:
My personal opinion is that the .375 H&H is know for its versatility using 300g. I'd stick to that! Thousands of buffalo have been successfully hunted with 300g bullets.

You are going to have a great buff hunt in the SAVE! Who are you going with?

going with Leon Duplessis.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Blair 338RUM:
Saeed,

No, and never will either.

I don't mess up with something that works.

Fair enough mate tu2

Posts: 15784 | Location: Australia and Saint Germain en Laye | Registered: 30 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
300grs is bad medicine on anything with four legs...

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote