Notify
Tools

ALF & guests - 500/450 sale ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted
Alf & other esteemed (Big Bore nutters) out there (-:

Do you guys know where that antique Royal 500/450 HH that belonged to Fletcher Jamieson the famed Rhodesian ( old white hunter ) and that is also talked about in John "Pondoro" Taylor's book, "African Rifles and Cartridges." the formost book on Africa Big Game Hunting

Holland & Holland Nitro Express Royal, Hammerless Sidelock, Double Cordite Rifle.

Calibre .500/.450, 70 grains Cordite and 365 grains Nickel coated bullet, Case 3 ¼"

Rifle No.17892

First test fired 8th May 1902

Finished at factory 15th May 1902

Length 15 + 14 ¾ + 15 5/16

Cast off 1/8 + 1/8 +1/16 +3/16

Weight of Rifle 9lb, 9 ½ ozs

Bend 2 + 1½

Pulls 4 + 5
===============

If still FOR SALE I (want to locate it) if humany possible for a potential buyer

Cheers, Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Hi Alf

Ok then just keep me posted if you get any other news on the rifle and if in fact (it might still for sale) or is it HELD in safe keeping and (not for sale) by that American chap.

Hope you are hanging in in the frozen North /

Cheers for now ...

from the land of; ( the long white cloud) and of cource, sheep rugby horse racing hunting sking fishing and beer

Peter

Posts: 3331 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I am sorry that I can't help you on the rifle that you are inquiring about.

I do however know where John "Pondoro" Taylors .450 #2 is. In fact I've handled it in the last month.

If you are interested in seeing it and or possibly purchasing it. Send a PM. I don't think it's activley for sale. But you never know.

one of us
Picture of Balla Balla
posted Hide Post
Alf & surestrike

Thanks for the info update ..

ALF ...

If you can let me know about the 500 Jeff and some indictive ( ball park ) price then I can sound out this chap whom I am in contact with

surestrike ..

If you can find out about the .450 #2 and some (ball park) price range then I can also sound out my contact and see if it might be within his budget

My direct email is (known worldwide of cource) and you can use it as/if required with any genuine information please

... in the meanwhile I will try my contact again as to if he has (any interest) in those two BEAUTY rifles you chaps mention

Peter ( languishing downunder )

with nothing better to do than surf the net and sample NZ wines, its a bugger being old and semi-retired, but we have no choice in growing old, do we !! cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
surestrike
Can you tell us the brand, bbl length, weight etc on Taylors 450 No2?

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
I think it is sad when these old vintage doubles get locked away into a "collection". Everyone to their own I guess, but they were made as using rifles, for the field, and to sit all oiled and manicured in a display cabinet for the rest of their "lives" seems wrong. Hells Bells they are famous because they were used by a famous hunter!

Just my view anyway. No rifle I own is not a user.

John H.

NitroExpress.com - the net's double rifle forum

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NitroX,
i heartily agree.

DRSS

Posts: 1167 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alf

I've dealt with the same problems you suggest. The only answer, in my mind, is that a rifle is made to hunt. I have recieved as much pleasure in hunting with an old and valuable rifle as I have in the actual hunt.

Some people believe that rifles are only tools, like shovels and boots. I know that you do not believe that, rifles have souls and they need to be utilized to be appreciated.

Take your Jeffery, insure it, don't watch the baggage handlers and enjoy carrying the rifle for the puropose it was intended.

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ALF:

There were some turban wearing baggage handlers throwing bags on to and sometimes over a open baggage cart !

It was amazing to watch as these two were tossing bags on to the cart ....

Alf,

In England these guys would be nicknamed "tossers".

I hope you get the double meaning.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote