New
Find
Notify
Tools

Select Safaris?
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All,

Has anyone had any experience with "Select Safaris"? I have an opportunity to fill in at the last minute for a cancellation next month and wanted to know if I should commit (It's an invitation I'll probably never be able to accept again for the rest of my life). I can't find anything on-line about them except their website. ANY INFO IS APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks,

Mike

Posts: 10 | Location: N. Kalifornistan | Registered: 29 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If you do a google search you get several responses to "select safaris".
This is a link to one I can personally speak about.
http://www.selectsafaris.co.za/?MenuID=0&item=221
I went with them in 2004 and am returning in 12 days.
If this is the place I'll be happy to fill you in.

Posts: 21 | Location: Rexburg, Idaho | Registered: 07 June 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Brian,

Yes this is the place. I'm a bit overwhelmed with getting everything in order, since it was such a short notice, but I'll get an "A" for effort. Talk about a crash course in African Safaris!!!

I have been reading the SHAKARICONNECTION.com website and it's been VERY helpful!!!

I have most of the gear and I'm full of desire. I'm familiar with the guns I'll be using and have more ammo on the way to knock off any residual rust prior to the trip.

Jan du Plessis also already replied to my initial e-mail and answered all my general questions about the trip. He seems like a very nice guy from his e-mail and what I've found on the net.

My e-mail address is not in my profile, but if you'd like to send something via p-mail, I'll get my e-mail and phone number to you.

I appreciate the reply and as I'm sure most of you have experienced, I am VERY EXCITED about my first trip to the Dark Continent!!!

THANKS,

Mike

Oh...and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Posts: 10 | Location: N. Kalifornistan | Registered: 29 October 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You will have a great hunt. On my last trip we had a great time 12 days of hunting between my wife and I we took 16 animals. My wife fell in love with Giraffes and has wanted one ever since. That is the top animal we are going after this time.
A buddy of mine has been with Jan 4 different times and has never had a bad experience.
We will be there May 1-8.

Posts: 21 | Location: Rexburg, Idaho | Registered: 07 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Select Safaris is a fine operation. I may be a little biased because I booth next to them in Reno. They have better than average quantity and quality of animals, which is what you want from an outfitter in their respective country. WARNING: Come close of the work day, if their behavior in Reno is any indication of the spirits they pour back at the lodge, be prepared to have a good time! They rock!

Moja

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I didn't know "booth" was a verb! Well, if "office" can be....

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunted with Jan back in 94 and have kept in touch with him almost every year in Dallas. He is a great guy and has a super camp. The food is some of the best I've ever had in Africa. For whatever it's worth, I killed a 17" bushbuck with him.

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 March 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys!!! EVERYTHING I've read so far has been positive, so I'm pretty excited. I'm hoping for a Greater Kudu, a Gemsbok and an Impala. I don't think I could swing anything else with such short notice (Actually, I don't know if I can swing this, but I'm going anyway Big Grin !!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
booth 
/buθ/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [booth] Show IPA
VERB/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [boothz, booths] Show IPA .

1. to place or be placed next to a stall, compartment, or light structure for the sale of goods or for display purposes, as at a market, exhibition, or fair.

Moja

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote