Notify
Tools

What power zoom camera
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
Hey Guys,

I'm curious as to what power zoom and mega-pixels everyone has on the camera they carry with them while out stalking animals (not the big SLR you leave in the truck).

What I'd like to know is if you found the zoom powerful enough and resolution clear enough to take photos of other animals you encountered but were not hunting, say that kudu hiding in the bushes or the group of lechwe off in the distance.

Thanks for the input!

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much Zoom. Smiler ( I´m reading Will´s book)

I always try to take the SLR with me, sometimes the tracker or gamescout will take it. With a small pocket cam chances are slim to get so close for a "good" photo. I have a 100-400 and 2X converter for my long shots.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a Canon Powershot S3. It has regular(optical) and digital zoom. Don't be obsessed by numbers. With digital cameras it is all in the sensor and processor and Canon's is one of the best. I have an SLR film camera as well.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I used a powershot with 10 mega pixels. make sure your camera is set on the highest setting of pixel quality. The pic was at 70 yds when she charged took camera out of my pocket and shot and then we ran off. Found this at home after safari. USE the AA E batteries.
Always in my bellows pocket
Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
Sod's Law stipulates that on eight out of ten occasions, you will have the wrong camera. Unless you happen to be Anton Dahlgren. Anton and Saeed would be good ones to answer your question. Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DawnRoar:
quote:
Originally posted by retreever:
I used a powershot with 10 mega pixels. make sure your camera is set on the highest setting of pixel quality. The pic was at 70 yds when she charged took camera out of my pocket and shot and then we ran off. Found this at home after safari. USE the AA E batteries.
Always in my bellows pocket
Mike

Great shot but you had super perfect light. Mega-pixels can be both a blessing and a curse. Other than some high dollar "full frame sensor" digital cameras (Nikkon D3 etc) the rest have small sized sensors. SLRs are bigger than the pocket types. The point is the more megapixels you cram on to a sensor the less sensitive it is to light.
If a 12mp and a 6mp camera have the same sensor size, the 6mp camera will have half the pixel density, and double the low light performance.

Manufacturers battle for bragging rights on who has the most mega-pixels but shy away when quality gets talked about. Everyone who has a high megapixel pocket camera has seen the problem. Your shots in great daylight are unbelievable(like above) but as soon as light starts dropping off they go to crap...blacks look washed out and noise from having to jack up the iso shows on lighted objects. For just about any printing 8X10 or smaller 6 megapix is plenty and you can even zoom and crop at that size.

Bottom line for the pocket camera they all can usually only zoom so far (digital zoom is a waste) and your prints are going to be less than 8x10 anyway so get less mega-pixels.
For the truck take as big of a camera as you can for when you want quality in the less than ideal light we hunt in. Take as much zoom as you can and buy good glass because the more the aperture opens the more light to the sensor. You can spend in the thousands for a 300-400 mm lens that does just in the 4s for f stop....5k for f 2.8. For trophy shots you can get a wide 18-35 lens but again the quality of glass in terms of F stop like 2.8 can save you when it is darkish

Above all unless you are taking a photographic safari you don't need a camera because you are hunting. After the kill and when you are screwing around fine...but don't let screwing around with a camera get in the way of hunting...if you don't believe me just ask your PH. Most of them hate stopping and taking pics

Kalahari Lion (Bots 07)

Posts: 101 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 03 October 2010Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
We have tried practically every camera with super zoom, and have decided that for hand held photos one should avoid anything more than about 12-18X zoom.

You will take the photos, they will look fine on the camera screen.

But, as you put them on your computer, you will notice that they are not so clear after all.

I take several cameras with me to try on safari, and I honestly believe the Panasonic TZ7 or TZ10 are the best that are available right now.

They are small enough to fit in your pocket. Have a 12X optical soom - ignore any so called DIGITAL zoom, it is nothing but a smoke screen.

Look at my hunt report, many of the photos there have been taken by a TZ10.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375LVR
posted Hide Post
Kodak has a camera that we specifically designed for hunting based on experience in RSA and Botswana. It is a pocket camera with 8x optical and 14 mp. It is the M580. If you go to www.kodakoutdoors.com, you can see it there.

Martin

Posts: 168 | Location: Nokomis Florida | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
for hand held photos one should avoid anything more than about 12-18X zoom.

...Panasonic TZ7 or TZ10 are the best that are available right now.

tu2 x2

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a couple different brands of small digital camera in Africa and most work well enough for what I wanted.The picture quality was acceptable. the durability is a problem if you drop on or get it wet. but for the price and the advantage of having a very small light weight camera with you at all time was great. I have got a few very very good pictures that equal my more expensive bulky multi lens camera with the tone

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, has much more experience than I, and is probably more discerning as well. Having said that, my Canon has digital as well as optical zoom. You must understand that digital zoom is NOT magic. You cannot see detail that was never there, hence, the processor "makes up" the pixels that it inserts. My Canon has an image stabilizer (I believe) that helps keep the image steady. The digital zoom has been helpful on occasion.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of A.Dahlgren
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
The digital zoom has been helpful on occasion.
P[/QUOTE

digital zoom is just another name for cropping the image.. Just if you do it in your camera you cant really decide what portion to enlarge.

Posts: 2638 | Location: North | Registered: 24 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lets throw water and dust resistant in the mix. Whats a good camera if you get caught in a down pour or spend days riding in the back of a truck in the dust?

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep the pocket camera in a zip lock bag in your pocket.that keeps water and dust out. I always keep my other camera in a good quality camera bag till I needed it

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
has anybody play around with the nikon 3100?

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
keep the pocket camera in a zip lock bag in your pocket.that keeps water and dust out. I always keep my other camera in a good quality camera bag till I needed it

Don, That dodges the question. I have tried that several times and am looking for a better solution. Since I dont have a decent camera I can start from scratch and look for what I want.

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CrossL PM sent Big Grin

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Lets throw water and dust resistant in the mix. Whats a good camera if you get caught in a down pour or spend days riding in the back of a truck in the dust?

I have been in teh rain on numerous occasions, and the camera has been in my pocket.

They do get wet, but it does not seem to bother them too much as long as they are not immersed.

Once I fell in a mudhole, all the way to my shoulders!

I had a Canon pocket camera.

I got it out of my pocket, got the battery out.

When it deied it worked just fine.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68679 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kaizer
posted Hide Post
Cross L,

Take a look at Olympus cameras, they have a line of camera models that are very rugged, dust-proof, water-proof, shock-proof. I've had an Olympus Stylus for several years, got it after our other pocket camera crapped out due to salt-water spray while fishing in the Caribbean, even though I did the "zip-loc bag" thing on that trip. Our guide had an Olympus Stylus, and he had that thing dripping with salt water while taking pictures, so I had to get one. I've taken my Olympus to Africa several times, even had it under water, all with no problems. I carry it in a leather belt case while hunting, and leave the big camera in the truck. The Stylus Tough-8010 is currently their top model in this rugged line of pocket cameras. If you're looking for a DSLR that's more rugged than average, check out the Pentax K series.

Dale

Posts: 92 | Location: Near Illinois-Wisconsin Border | Registered: 20 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1 olympus has several good models on the market reasonable price good quality

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a lot like asking the question "What's the best gun to have when you see a trophy gemsbock?" The answer is "the one you can put your hands on immediately".

The world's finest camera is worthless if it is too bulky, delicate, or complicated to have with you when you need it. Having a good (and there are many of them) super-compact pocket camera in your pocket at all times helps assure that you won't miss a key photo opportunity entirely. I advise sacrificing megapixels, zoom, etc. for size and simplicity. Those little cameras will do as well for the obligatory "bagged trophy" photo as any multi-thousand dollar camera on the market.

If you want a second, more sophisticated camera to ride in the vehicle, or to carry when you are not hunting but are accompanying a partner, then look at the slightly larger models with more pixels and a larger zoom range.

Don't make the mistake of assuming that one that advertises "15X" zoom has the highest magnification. Its lens may start with a very wide angle (about 1/2 of "normal" 50mm equivalent), thus its magnification at the top end is only 7.5X or so. One which starts at "normal" and has "10X" zoom will magnify 10 times. Don't get me wrong -- the wide angle is useful -- but if your interest is in telephoto, then the "15X" model is less powerful than the "10X" model.

There are a lot of good cameras out there on the market, and every few months they get cheaper (or they add features for the same money). Unless you really want to get deep into sophisticated lighting, depth of field, and other artistic endeavors, stay away from the (admittedly great) SLR's and look for a viewfinder camera with the features you feel you need. It will be simpler to operate, less likely to break, much less expensive, and more likely to produce a high quality photo when in amatuer hands.

Be advised that Sony and Olympus use "proprietary" cards instead of the ubiquitous SD card. The proprietary cards are a bit more expensive than the SD's for the same capacity. This doesn't make Sony or Olympus poor buys, it's just something you need to take into account. Those proprietary chips (cards) may not be available in as many out-of-the-way places as the SD is.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sevens:
Hey Guys,

I'm curious as to what power zoom and mega-pixels everyone has on the camera they carry with them while out stalking animals (not the big SLR you leave in the truck).

What I'd like to know is if you found the zoom powerful enough and resolution clear enough to take photos of other animals you encountered but were not hunting, say that kudu hiding in the bushes or the group of lechwe off in the distance.

Thanks for the input!

What a buncha complete amateurs we have online here.
ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL! It's what my girlfriend says... "More is better!"

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:

If a 12mp and a 6mp camera have the same sensor size, the 6mp camera will have half the pixel density, and double the low light performance.

Not true and when you "up-res" the image you lose all of the imagined gains.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote