New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moon phase and Leopard hunting
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What's the best/worst Moon phase for Leopard hunting??

Best/worst moon phase for Plains game hunting?

one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Bowen,

Welcome to the forum.

This one comes up on a fairly regular basis and everyone has their own ideas.

Mine is that is varies from area to area to some extent and depends on a lot of factors but probably the most important one is predator pressure in that particular area.

Generally, I don't think it affects leopard hunting much at all IF (note the big IF) you do the set up right. After all, even at the full moon. leopards still get hungry and from my personal experience of the areas I've hunted 'em, the full moon actually makes them more convenient to hunt because they like to come to the bait earlier before the moon comes up. Remember that moonrise is about an hour later every night as it approaches full moon.

To me the secret of hunting cats close to the full moon is to place your blind correctly so it's unobtrusive, make the walls good and thick and most importantly of all, to put a good roof on the blind so that not even the slightest glimmer of star light (let alone moonlight) can penetrate into the blind. If any light gets in there, the cat will see straight through the blind wall like wouldn't believe.

FWIW, I'd guess that around half the leopards I've had clients take over the years were on or close to the full moon.

These might be of interest:

http://www.shakariconnection.c...unting-mr-spots.html

http://www.shakariconnection.com/moon-phases.html

One of Us
Picture of Neil-PH
posted Hide Post
As Steve points out,it varies from area to area, and depends on a few factors. I believe the single most important factor in blind location.

Remember the leopard knows every square inch of turf around him, and anything out of the ordinary will interest him. Cats are generally very inquisitive, and will not hesitate to investigate this intrusion. So again, blind location is the most important thing, and if I can give just one small piece of advice, I'd recommend putting some good distance between the blind and the bait.

There are so many other factors to consider, which hopefully your PH will have a good understanding of, and clearly convey them to you on your hunt. Good luck with it, and don't let the PH tell you, "....ah, full moon, gonna be tough, we need some luck !" Create your own luck, be wise.

An excellent book on leopard hunting is called INTO THE THORNS, by Wayne Grant. You will see the moon phases just bring out the best in a PH, testing him thoroughly.

Posts: 536 | Location: The Plains of Africa | Registered: 07 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I shot my leopard just after the full moon, but while it was still large and bright. There was an abundance of leopard activity during the full moon, which was counterintuitive to me. I think hunting an area with an abundance of cats and selecting a competent, cat-saavy PH is more important than moon phase. My opinion.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think hunting an area with an abundance of cats and selecting a competent, cat-saavy PH is more important than moon phase. My opinion.

I cannot think of a better response to the original question than this, from safari-lawyer.

Posts: 3917 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 3 leoaprds on the dark of the moon and set in a leopard blind exactly 6 times in total so I'm recommending the dark of the moon. As the PH's have said though I'm sure the area and PH has a larger impact on succss tha anything else.

When a guy tells me that leopards are hugely difficult witnessed by him spending 14 days on a leopard hunt and never seeing a leopard my thoughts are always that one there were very few leopard there and second the PH may not have had a clue.

Good leopard areas can be more than 90% successful. A client just needs to pick a safari in the right area with a good PH.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
As has been said, the two most important factors in a successful leopard hunt are the person who conducts the hunt and where it's conducted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony Dyer, an old timer of considerable repute, claims that 75% of his successes with leopard took place and I quote, "in the two dark weeks of the moon and I advise hunters to schedule their cat hunts within the period as close to the new moon as possible".

The quote was taken from his address at the Rowland Ward Christmas cocktail party Nov. 2008.

I like listening to the old timers, often they know what they are talking about.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Location & P.H./Outfitter, the moon has little to do with it!!! Good luck.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I killed my one and so far only leopard during a full moon.

But I agree with others who have said that location and skill (including picking the right bait tree and blind location) are far more important than moon phase for cat hunting.

Cats are predators - the only thing that affects their nocturnal behavior is whether they are hungry and whether their prey animals are present and active.

It's another question whether any given cat can be tempted to take a bait on any given night. I swear and believe that cats can get educated on that subject!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
quote:

An excellent book on leopard hunting is called INTO THE THORNS, by Wayne Grant. You will see the moon phases just bring out the best in a PH, testing him thoroughly.

We hunted with Wayne last year. If I recall, Wayne recommended we leave the US a day or two before the full moon, to be hunting during the full and it's wane.

Chris and I both had our toms down, Chris on Day 2, mine on Day 7.

And I agree 100% with Aaron - your most important factor is choosing the right cat man. The rest will take care of itself.

Good luck!

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote