New
Find
Notify
Tools

Battleground:Rhino Wars
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I DVR'ed this series. I just sat down to watch the first episode. The first few seconds of my recording was actually the credits from a previous show.

This previous show had something to do with rhinos. I noticed something very interesting. They thanked Dawie Groenwald. I was pretty surprised.

These 4 special forces guys look pretty serious. I have only watched a few minutes this far. The show seems interesting.

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found it interesting. Made me think of fencing a big chunk of Texas and start raising rhino and elephant, just so we have a seed population in case the Asians get them all in Africa. Maybe even farming horn and ivory is the answer. They farm deer antlers for the retarded Asians, so maybe its worth a go with rhino horn and ivory. Since you can't shoot poachers on site in SA, it's simply not going to work under present rules. Not that I am against them trying.

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
SG, I could have sworn reading that China actually has rhinos they grow with huge horns, however, it's not as sought after as the wild rhino horn is better juju or something like that. They have farms of tigers too, just waiting for a ban to lift so the tiger bone soup can flow aplenty.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...

2018 Zimbabwe - Tuskless w/ Nengasha Safaris
2011 Mozambique - Buffalo w/ Mashambanzou Safaris

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Anyone who is really interested in this stuff MUST read: "Killing for Profit" by Julian Rademeyer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 right Lane I'm reading it now!!!! great book but it will piss you off if you love african rhino and elephants

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ddrhook:
tu2 right Lane I'm reading it now!!!! great book but it will piss you off if you love african rhino and elephants

You got that right! And the lion is going through the same thing now with lion bone prices skyrocketing.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37790 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am really puzzled by the Groenwald thing. How could that bastard be involved in anything positive about rhinos?

Posts: 12095 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of snowhound
posted Hide Post
I've been thinking about this but not really wanted to ask. Doesn't RSA have its own special forces and why are they not "training" on poachers?

Posts: 133 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snowhound:
I've been thinking about this but not really wanted to ask. Doesn't RSA have its own special forces and why are they not "training" on poachers?

It might cut into some government officials unofficial income.

I think this is pretty much for show. It doesn't appear they are going to let them smoke the poachers.They are some pretty horrible sights on the first show.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a rhino breeding project in South Texas for a while. Don't know what happened to it.

What we really need is crocs in the Rio Grande.

Maybe Texas and Zimbabwe could work out a deal.

Posts: 10319 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crocks in the Rio Grande excellent idea. I really like this one

Posts: 32 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Crocs in the Rio Grande! Brilliant!

That would solve a few million problems, eh!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry led

Not all is lost there a few good guys fighting the war give me some pm im on the ground.

Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
I am really puzzled by the Groenwald thing. How could that bastard be involved in anything positive about rhinos?

Read the book. Still not good for Dawie...but explained.

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:

You really need to read the book!

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lane

Doesnt Fossil Rim at Granbury TX have a rhino breeding program?

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
Lane

Doesnt Fossil Rim at Granbury TX have a rhino breeding program?

Yessir they do. Ole Harry Tennison got it started. It is in Glen Rose though but not far from Grandbury.

http://books.google.com/books?...G4Bw&ved=0CCsQ6AEwAA

J. Lane Easter, DVM

One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:

HAH! There is not too much special about the "Reccies" today. Damn, 32 would have chased the buggers right into Maputo Harbour. Besides, none of the ruling party would want to upset the noodle bowl.

South Africa had the Endangered Species Unit which like the Drug Unit [SANAB] was shut down because their scratching was making assorted politicians, knobs and crooked wankers more than a tad nervous, from here to up north, including Kenya.
As an aside, some well-meaning bunch gave the ESU a big beautiful home in Houghton to use as a HQ. When the Unit was shut down, one of the chief tossers in the cops moved in and used it as his home. Cool

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they have live rounds in their guns...I can't see how RSA would allow Americans to shoot Africans on TV.

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote