Find
Notify
Tools

Re: My Best Gerenuk
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Rich,

Beautiful big gerenuk. Much different looking country than Masailand where I hunted them last year.

I'm quite anxious to get mine back from the taxidermist. The gerenuk is such an interesting and unique looking animal it will be a great addition to my other African trophies.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 12879 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was sorting through some old pictures and found this one. It's a 15 1/2 inch Southern Gerenuk that I took in the Omo Valley in May of 1991. It still ranks #23 in the SCI book. We've taken several 16"+ over the years. I noticed the biggest we've ever taken isn't entered. Oh well.

The rifle is a Model 700 Remington KS in .375 H&H. I was using up a case of Winchester Western 270 grain Power Points at that time. The gentleman with me is Yohannes Dernersessian. He worked for the company on and off from 1984 until 1993. He is now involved with Gambella Safaris and hopes to hunt the Tedo Concession in SW Ethiopia this Feb. for Nile Lechwe and white eared kob plus some other species found there. This was postponed from last Feb. due to security problems. That's Africa!

Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A magnificent animal!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice animal! The gerenuk is on my wish list.

Oddly, perhaps, it's about the only small antelope I have much interest in.

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing Rich,
Gerenuk are just weird enough to be really cool.

Stupid question: It's a southern gerenuk? I assumed Ethiopia was the northern portion of their range. Is there another subspecies even further north in Sudan and Egypt?

Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Southern Gerenuk is found in Tanzania and Kenya up to as far as the Omo Valley in Ethiopia. The Northern or Somali Gerenuk is in Somalia all the way into the Ogaden desert and on into the Dankil desert in Ethiopia bounded on the west and north by the Awash River. Overall the Northern species is a bit lighter in color and has slightly shorter horns. The main difference lies in the SCI Record Book
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Great info.
Thanks,
Kyler

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Rich,
Beautiful animal and available on a fifteen day hunt in Ethiopia as compared twenty one in Tanzania I understand! A nice gerenuk and a lesser kudu are definitely on my "someday" list.

Posts: 7532 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a great animal Rich! At first glance your gerenuk looks bigger than 15 1/2 inches until you notice that the horns don't curve back very far.

This is a photo of another beautiful Southern Gerenuk specimen which was measured at 17 3/8 left horn and 17 even right horn, taken in Masaailand last season by an american client of WWS. Total score was 45 5/8 making it the unofficial SCI #2. It doesn't look much bigger than yours from the photo I thought!

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,

Yes, it's in the "bow". The tips are pretty much the same.

Rich Elliott

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yessir!!! As Mr. Elliott is aware, my "someday" is getting closer everyday! July '06 I'll be there after that Gerenuk and Lesser Kudu and.... I'm already excited!

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote