THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    DVD: Historic Rifles, The Long Journey Home

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DVD: Historic Rifles, The Long Journey Home
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
At the DSC show this year I was visiting with Dave Fulson about the DVD Historic Rifles, The Long Journey Home, and decided to pick up a copy. Just finished watching the DVD. I highly recommend this DVD if you have not seen it. This DVD stands in stark contrast to the typical bang, flop DVD that unfortunately predominates the hunting DVD market today. If you enjoy fine firearms with a nexus to Africa, this is a DVD you will really enjoy.

The DVD features a number of legendary rifles (e.g., Hemingway's Westley Richards .577, Elmer Keith's Westley Richards .470, Fletcher Jamieson's .500 Jeffery built by Jeffery, several of Selous's Farquharson single shots, among others). A history of each rifle and the man that owned it is given and then the rifle is taken back to Africa and used on a hunt by Bill Jones. The DVD flows more like a documentary than a hunting DVD, and like all the Safari Classic productions is very well produced and edited. I thoroughly enjoyed the DVD and commend it to aficionados of fine rifles and Africaphiles. Really refreshing to see something different from the usual compilation of hunting footage. Well done!

Mike

Posts: 21684 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
tu2

Nice to see you at VC booth, sorry if we interrupted anything.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent Dave a PM. I thought it was a great DVD too and I recommend anyone with an interest in Africana to get it. Definately NOT a whack 'em and stack 'em video.

Posts: 481 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: 20 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fla3006:
tu2

Nice to see you at VC booth, sorry if we interrupted anything.

Likewise. The big question is, did you end up ordering one?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Do you have a link or other contact information?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the Safari Classics and Safari Press websites and see that it is not shown. It is relatively new. Send Dave Fulson a PM, or maybe Dave will chime in on this thread. You could also call Safari Classics at 214-360-9599. Worse case, I would be happy to pick you up a copy at SCI and mail it to you.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the offer but I'll try to contact Mr Fulson with that number.
Many Thanks!!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Diana Rupp at Sports Afield told me Safari Press only received the dvds the day before DSC started. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet but am looking forward to it. Due to Bill Jones' generosity I've actually fired some of the rifles.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
Due to Bill Jones' generosity I've actually fired some of the rifles.

Would be interesting to know which gun folks would pick to shoot if they had a choice. For me, I think shooting one of the Selous Farquharsons would have to be the choice. To grab one of those Selous rifles with Selous plates and imagine what all that rifle has done and seen would be a real taste of history.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Absolutely outstanding DVD. Congrats to Bill Jones and Safari Classics.

When we had the chance to shoot some of the rifles, I thought I would only get to shoot one and my first choice was Elmer Keith's .470. Tough decision! But then I got to fire the Jamieson .500 and the Hemingway .577 also. My son fired the Hemingway and also F.C. Selous' .256 rifle and I'm envious about that.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Paul, I hope your son appreciates just how fortunate he is to have held, much less shot, one of Selous' rifles. Lucky fellow.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes guys, WWW.SAFARICLASSICS.NET is the best way to order one, and thanks for the great feedback!

Dave Fulson

Posts: 1467 | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote