New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good soft guncase?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a friend that I owe a debt of gratitude. I would like to get him a nice quality soft case. Suggestions on brand or where to find a decent price? Thanks, Wiedmanshiel. D

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
People speak highly of Boyt Harness and Red Oxx.

Hopefully those who have bought these cases will speak up.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I looked at the Boyt Harness and liked the case. I was ready to buy until I found the same thing at Cabelas with a Cabela Label on it for less than half the price. My advice is to go with Cabelas. If I had to guess, it is the same case, different tag.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The Boyt's are great, just a bit pricey. I am picking up two of the Cabela's cases this Saturday after doing a lot of searching.

Here is the link: Cabela's Canvas Case Link

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bwanahile
posted Hide Post
I have Boyts and Red Oxx. The Red Oxx is far superior (and more expensive).

Posts: 757 | Location: Nashville/West Palm Beach | Registered: 29 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
orvis boyt red oxx

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bob in TX got right:

Same case as Boyts with a Cabela label. These are the only cases that come in 50" lenght also.

Great case I ended up getting rid of my cheapo cases and bought three...

Regards.... Jim P.

The Hunters Hut
Firearms Sales & Service PAHunter/ The Head Hunter
DRSS,NRA,SCI,NAHC
www.huntershut1.com

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I can't agree with some of the above posts. I've used the Boyt, Red Oxx and Cabelas. The Boyt and Red Oxx have been used extensively. Boyt cases are made much better than the others, leather cap, brass zipper, heavier canvas, etc. Only complaint is the brass zipper will occationally scratch fine bluing and stock finish. But it's so much more robust it's probably worth using the brass hardware and being careful with the gun.

I like the Red Oxx because they're light but they aren't nearly as rugged as the Boyt.

Cabelas (or at least the model I have) is light duty in every aspect (zipper, material, padding, and handles). It works fine but I'm sure the life span will be a small fraction of the Boyt. (I know this is blasphemy... but I find many of Cabelas brand products don't last if used hard on a regular basis. But they are cheap while looking and working fine if hardly ever used).

Take care,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
160 bucks for a frigging cloth case with a bit of cheap leather? yo've got to be kidding. I bought a canvas case from Cabelas over 8 yers ago that is water repellent AND it floats for under around 40 bucks back then. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of baboon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob in TX:
The Boyt's are great, just a bit pricey. I am picking up two of the Cabela's cases this Saturday after doing a lot of searching.

Here is the link: Cabela's Canvas Case Link

Bob

I wonder if Cabela"s is some made in China knock-off!In most case I'll spend the extra money to keep someone working in the U.S..

Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.

Posts: 1107 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Red OXX and that's that....Jim is a Marine parachute rigger, makes his stuff here in the USA and will build you anything you might think you need in terms of durability.

As far as Boyt goes they have gotten a lot better in recent years and would be a good choice for a more "Classic" look if that floats your boat!

Me, I'm in for the maximum protection and durability aspects of the case - my rifles are classics, the cases needn't be, especially at the expense of quality / protection.

Red Oxx!

Jeff

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Well, my answer was based on his question.

When someone asks for a good value in a scope for a certain price I don't recommend a Swarovski. There are alternatives.

Different strokes......

Bob

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 300magman
posted Hide Post
A vote for Boyt cases. They slide right in my tuff pak with no problems.

Posts: 323 | Location: Jackson, Miss | Registered: 12 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
I did the Boyt's case from Cabela's, too. I'm real happy with it and it's the one I'm taking to Tanzania (inside my TuffPak).

I think you could do a lot worse than getting this case. It seems very well made.

Russ

The doing of unpleasant deeds calls for people of an unpleasant nature.

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boyt makes two. One looks mostly canvas and that one looks like the Cabelas clone. The one I have seen that I like more has more leather on it,both ends and in the middle, and looks a bit sturdier. I have not seen a Cabelas that matches it. Am I just over looking it in the cabelas catalog? Thanks for the replies. D

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

<BWN300MAG>
posted
Well, I did a product review over the Red-Oxx Gun Runner Rifle Case for African Hunter magazine (Impisi issue No. 4 of 2004) last year. I had the gun case and a Gator Bag of theirs for almost a year and did everything I could think of to "properly" test both of them. I am no fan of Jim at Red-Oxx, but the man does make quality products. For your money (and the guarantee) any of his products are the way to go, if you want real quality. also, I still have both products and they are still in excellent shape. The rifle case made a trip with me in May to Zim for pac ele and performed flawlessly (it pains me to say). Now, that is not to say the other products discussed above are not also good. Just to add one more to the mix have you looked at the Filson line? http://www.filson.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had great luck with two Red Oxx gun slips when in South America last month. They customized them for me, for a nominal fee. Very high quality gun slips, as are their bags.

Posts: 76 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
The Cabela's case is the one in the link I posted for you above. If price is no object, you can't go wrong with the Boyt.

One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Luckily we have several of us that are interested in pitching in some bucks and so far the top end Boyt has the nod. Thanks for all your help. If you come up with another for consideration before monday let me know. Donkey donkey buya donkey. OPA D

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not usually mentioned around here, but Eagle Industries makes some scoped rifle cases that have zippered sections for extra gear and they are built to take a lot of use.

I bought one when I lived in Houston TX twenty years ago and have used the crap out of it. It will probably get passed to my sons when I'm too old to use it any more...

I believe this is the latest version:

http://www.eagleindustries.com/ProdDisp.asp?PartNoID=328

Rick R
Of all the things I've lost in life, I miss my mind the most.

Posts: 162 | Location: On top of a mountain in WV | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Sodakhtr,
Thanks for the link to Sierra Trading Post. Bought two of the Boyt Rifle cases at 24.95! That's a deal.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm,
That is a very good price for the Boyt. The downside when ordering from Sierra Trading is that you will now have a mailbox full of their catalogs for the next year or so. You should recieve three to four a week. I picked up a couple of Boyt cases from Don's Firearms in Victoria. He made me a great deal on them.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
M16,
I know Don Duncan very well. Hang out there much more than I should with a bunch of reprobate hunters and shooters killing time, drinking coffee and swapping lies. Reminds me of Ruark when he mentioned all his good friends were fishing guides, professional hunters and bartenders. What part of Texas are you from?
Russell

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bwanamrm

PM sent

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a two Boyts, one cabelas and an SKB moisture wicking soft case all three are really nice. I actually like the SKB best and that is where my double lives on safari.

I like the utility pocket on the SKB and that is why I tend to use it over the Boyt or the Cabelas cases.