New
Find
Notify
Tools

Selous K4/M1 August
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm interested in imfo about Don Bowers buffalo hunts in Selous K4 & M1.
#1 What to expect as far as terrain and grass in early August.
#2 Would like to hear from anyone that knows of Bowers' "Okome Safaris" and hunted with him in Tanzania.

I understand he relocated from Zimbabwe to Tanzania. My agent has his buffalo special 2x1 7day with charter flight from dar salem/food/permits/dip&pack/TF on buffalo for $7500, some PG on tag for additional TF(s)

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Who is the agent? If he and his outfit check out, that is a smoking deal.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:

Well, maybe if you have a partner.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mark young has the same deal with adam clements

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Butch,

Thanks for the plug but we do not include the first buff. Although in your case there is a "Special" going on for the 3rd week in Sept '08. 2X1 7 days $23,500 each and it does include the trophy fees for both buffalo. Only the best deal for my most favored clients.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBT:

And quite enlightening @ one-third the cost of the Safari-Trackers' "Special".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would be sure to read the fine print that may have comments about charters, transfers, trophy fees, etc.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The booking agent is Jim McCarthy Harrisburg,Pa mccarthyadventures.com
I did err in the M1 block it is R 1 ( I think, anyway it is the very next one due north that borders K4 ). I don't know if this deal is too good to be true or not, though I have seen this exact same hunt offered by other booking agencys as well.
I am told Gary Hopkins and Don Bower run the operation.

Posts: 223 | Location: close but no cigar | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure I'd trust the prices on that website too much, The trophy fees they mention are lower than the trophy fees payable to the game department and they don't even mention the addional community development fee which is in addition to the Government trophy fee.....

posted Hide Post
Right Steve and at the bottom of each page it reads "2004-2005". The catalog they offer is for 2005. Likely, they just haven't updated the website in a while. I sent them an inquiry. This agent has been around as long as I can remember.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 2007 brochure/pricelist on my desk as I'm typing this. On page 7 the Tanzania special is printed. I called and spoke with Jim himself. He told me about the rest in that phone conversation.
This same hunt is also on aahsomeafricansafaris.com owned by Mark Claiborne of Walla Walla Washington for the same price.
I got first dibs on 8/1-7/07!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
aahsomeafricanadventures.com my mistake He lists the names Gary Hopkins, Terry Fenn and Tristan Peacock as whom he is booking these hunts for.

Is there an edit feature to a post you've made an error in on here somewhere? (such as this correction to my prior post)

posted Hide Post
The small icon with the eraser in the lower right corner of your post is the Edit/Delete button.

posted Hide Post
Response from mccarthyadventures.com:

"They are the current prices, they may go up next year, but that is the price we are selling the hunt for. Thanks, Dennis Feerrar."

Selous Area Cape Buffalo hunt 2X1 $7,500. Includes all trophy fees, gun permits and guild fees. We offer other animals at trophy fees. Hartebeest $450, Wildebeest $450, Zebra $650, Impala $300, Warthog $400.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu: McCarthy has been around a long time. I've booked other trips with him in years past without incident.
There is a $200 "Conservation fee" to be added total with no PG or tips $7700
I'm taking August 1-7 I have a partner but honestly he's hesitant. So if he doesn't commit I'll be looking for another. Any takers?

one of us
posted Hide Post
ALP,
If you do go and decide to take a few plains game, pls note that the trophy fees stated by McCarthy for zebra and hartebeest are lower than the current Gov Game fee. It might just be they did not update their rates so just check with them to avoid any confusion later on.

Also the rates do not include charter fees from what I can see. I suspect these will be in the range of $2200 - $2500 per plane each way.

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3035 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
ALP#4:
quote:
My agent has his buffalo special 2x1 7day with charter flight from dar salem/food/permits/dip&pack/TF on buffalo for $7500, some PG on tag for additional TF(s)

posted Hide Post
Those interested in short buffalo hunts in Tanzania had best move quickly. I have word that $uch hunt$ may $oon be a thing of the pa$t.