New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ethics: What say ye of this...?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
From what you describe as the comments of those naysayers, it is clear that they have no concept of hunting baboon, nuisance or trophy.

What little experience I have suggests that a 280 yard shot, downhill, at a running baboon is right in the normal range as Ray A. has stated. If it was a 400 yard shot with a good rest would they have complained?

Tell your son he made a "hell of a shot" and be proud of a son that can do that!

I wish I could have seen it!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RHS: I congratulate you on being a fine father, and congrats to your son on being a fine shot. The only thing I see as unethical is your friends' holier than thou attitude.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Like some others have said, a nuisance hunt is different from a sporting hunt.

If the baboon had killed or maimed someone there would not be any argument for shooting or even poisoning it, to paraphrase the old phrase "It needed killin'...."

There are a lot of animals I have no desire to hunt, but eradicating a nuisance is something else. Anyone remember the picture Saeed posted a few years ago of the man who had been attacked by a baboon?

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase the old truism about where a 500# gorilla can sleep:

Q. "Where does Will post?"
"What does Will post?"

A. "Any damn *&#%$ng place he wants."
"Any damn *&#%$ng thing he wants."

Until Will croaks AR will never be an airy fairy conclave, that's for sure.

JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote