Find
Notify
Tools

XM and Sirius radios is Africa
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted
Does anyone have experience with either of these satallite radios in Africa?
I had an American GI tell me that some of them use XM in Iraq.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4207 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Took and XM with me to Namibia a year ago August. No signal between Outjo and Kamanjab about 50 miles ssw of Okakeujo gate.

Best in the New Year

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Does that mean you got signals elsewhere?
Up here in Central I have to carefully aim the antenna in order to receive 61 channels and the rest do not come in at all - but 61 is better than none.
I was curious about Zambia as I was looking at giving my son one for Christmas . I hope he isn't reading this. Usually he is smarter than I am and doesn't get on this thing.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Not being a rocket scientist... But the XM satellites (Rock, Roll, Rhythm) are in geo-sync orbits over the western hemisphere.

From Wikipedia:

XM provides digital programming directly from three high-powered satellites in geostationary orbit above the equator. XM-1 ("Roll") and XM-2 ("Rock") are co-located at 115° west longitude and XM-3 ("Rhythm") is located 85° west longitude in addition to a network of ground-based repeaters. The combination of three satellites and a ground-based repeater network is designed to provide gap-free coverage anywhere within the continental U.S., the southern tip of Alaska, and in the southern part of Canada. The signal can also be received in the Caribbean Islands and most of Mexico (reports have stated that areas north of Acapulco are able to receive a steady signal[2]), however XM is not yet licensed for reception by paid subscribers living in these areas.

Sirus uses three satelites in highly eliptical orbits, bringing them over NA for 16 hours each, every day. They MIGHT be better at broadcasting to other parts of the planet. But I'd still bet that thier antennas are pointed at the nothern hemisphere.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted in Zimbabwe in 2002 where I was first introduced to satellite radio. My PH had one in his Land Rover - listened to it during a couple days of touring the country. I certainly don't keep up on the latest consumer electronics, but that was the first system I had ever personally seen. Of course, four years later I have one in my truck along with so many other Americans.

Seems like his system was from a company based in South Africa - but I don't know any more. Perhaps a radio from that part of the world would be the way to go instead of a U.S.-based system.

Hopefully, some of our friends from Africa will pop up with some details.

Phil

Posts: 535 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 17 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Dang! You mean I might get to listen to Howard Stern while having sundowner in the Selous. What joy! pissers

Actually, I'd love to be able to grove to a little Janice Joplin along with the hippos. Now that would be quite the treat. I'd imagine that the daily laundry would get scrubbed extra well that night.

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy Sirius.....I need the stocks to climb back to what they were last December.....

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A few years back Walter decided to have a radio in camp.

He started telling us all the gory news of what is going on in the world as we sat by the fire in the evening.

Someone got mad at him, and fixed that radio.

It never worked again.

And we enjoyed our hunt without any outside distractions jumping

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68793 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I wasn't cosidereding the ramifications of a radio in hunting camp. I know my wife was/is still adament about sat. phones in our camp but unfortuantely - or fortunately as the situation dictates - they are here. We learned about the attacks on the World Trade center as it was happening because one of our clients called home right after the first tower was hit and relayed the information to us via radio.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Hats off to the man who "fixed" the radio.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I still want to know if they work in Zambia?

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Phil:

Just kidding, of course. I think we all understand the practicality of knowing what's going on in the world, particularly if you're removed from "civilization" for more than just a vacation.

Ernest

Posts: 7714 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, did not try the XM elsewhere. Had only agreed to see if it worked at the one venue because the company had given a donation at my request. Normally I use shortwave while in Southern AFrica in the rare case I want to spend time away from hunting or the campfire.

Best in the New Year

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of Irish Paul
posted Hide Post
I have a sub. to Sirius.

I brought the whole set up with me to Germany and Ireland - there is no service or coverage in Europe.

Fortunatley, with Sirius, you can listen to all of the Music channels, and some of the talk channels (including Howard Stern), and the NFL channel online for free with a regular subscription.

Now, I don't know if you will have internet access in Africa! Nor do I konw if I would even think about listening to the radio while hunting in Africa Smiler

Never use a cat's arse to hold a tea-towel.

Posts: 280 | Location: California/Ireland | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
You can also listen to XM online through any computer, anywhere (if you are a subscriber).

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
would have no need for a radio on a hunt.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote