THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Anyone catch the MT woman wounding a lion on TV??

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone catch the MT woman wounding a lion on TV??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
A few nights ago on one of the hunting shows there was a woman from Montana who shot a big male lion through so much brush one could barely make out front from ass. Of course she wounded it.

What followed was several PH's tracking the lion which eventually charged and was shot between the eyes by a fellow who was then half UNDER the lion when it finally dropped from the head shot.

Have to say I was amazed the PH allowed this woman to even TAKE such a foolhardy shot. Then eight or more hours later when the lion if finally taken everyone is celebrating, and they even CONGRATULATE the woman.

Did anyone else find the entire Show and situation disturbing? I guess when one spends a ton of money on a DG hunt ethics don't matter only the FEE.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, I saw it. It was on a few weeks ago. It sucked then and still sucks. That show has really gone down hill in a hand basket. It didn't hold my attention very well, but how many times did she say the same thing over and over? Worse than C. G. on ESPN

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I found the show entertaining.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hehheh, I think you might want to edit your post, dear sir![/QUOTE]

Thanks for pointing out the typo

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
Hehheh, I think you might want to edit your post, dear sir!

Thanks for pointing out the typo[/QUOTE]

no problem, I got rid of mine as well

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few items of note.

The show was one hour long featuring four lion hunts, 3 rifle (all ultimately successful) and 1 bow (unsuccessful).

The "botched" hunt was the first show. I would say that what the camera is showing and what the hunter is seeing tends to be two different things. I agree from the camera angle the shot was not there but I wasn't looking through the scope.

The second hunt with some yahoo was the more disturbing to me. He had a lion dead to rights and he wants to talk about it with the PH. The PH rightly chastized him and said quit screwing around and shoot that lion (my take). That hunter did not deserve that lion.

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
I saw it, and I must say that PH who got charged was one cool customer. He waited until the perfect shot presented itself and smacked that pussy cat in the perfect spot.

Balls of solid rock. I would have s**t my pants, I think.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was pretty impressed by how the charge was handled as well -- that, and I think the guy who ended up under the lion was actually chuckling afterwards...

And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Posts: 863 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched the show too, and recorded it to TIVO, but my machine erased it to make more space.

My impression was that the PH told her to shoot.
You could see from the camera behind her that she didn't have much of a target.

I'd say the PH with her at the time as as much to blame.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I vaguely recall, from the last time I saw that rerun episode, it was not Johan Calitz himself that would be blamed for the muffed shot through the brush if that happened. But he and several others came to the rescue for the followup. Let us give credit to that PH who came in with the cavalry and stopped the lion charge:

Ronnie Crous

He posted the story here last year soon after it happened. Attaboy Ronnie. thumb
He was guiding Wayne LaPierre to red lechwe for the Johan Calitz outfit on the umpteenth rerun of that segment of "Under Wild Skies" on ESPN2 this AM.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana:
I guess when one spends a ton of money on a DG hunt ethics don't matter only the FEE.

FN in MT

Sometimes the camera angle is such that what you see on film is not waht the shooter sees, and I suspaect that is the case here. However if it happened the way you see it on film, then...............
I don't think money or ethics were the problem with the hunter, in this case, more like ignorance, on her part! Where the greed took over was with the PH who allowed this, to collect the Trophy fee. A trophe fee that almost cost more than bargained for! thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
FN

As others have said the camera angle often does not reflect the shooters view. Also I think the PH had to be quite sure the client could make the shot since his ass lierally would be on the line if she blew it. I think you will find in the heat of the moment the client got very excited and just shot the lion poorly. When your up close to stuff that bites and stomps as others here know better than I sometimes the calmest of people come a little unravelled.

I've actually hunted with Ronnie Crous (the guy under the lion)and I'll say he is pretty calm under fire. I'm also sure he would be the first to admit he was very lucky with his shot. I actully have wondered why he put himself out front making himself the natural target of the lion.

I guess my point is that none of us was actually there during any of this so it is impossible to think we would have done things differently. You can't know anything for sure without being there with the adrenaline pumping.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12934 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm NOT debating that the PH who ultimately KILLED the lion was anything but a hell of a shot during the charge.

I'm simply noting that it appeared to be a very poor opportunity to take the lion yet the woman SHOT anyway; Either from nervousness or at the urgings of her PH. The result of that was a lion which suffered needlessly for many hours.

Not my idea of good hunting ethics.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was the next day when they found the wounded lion, IIRC. The noble beast made a valiant effort to get even with somebody.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'll throw in my two cents: From the camera shot it certainly appeared to be a poorly chosen shot; I have turned down better shots at kudu as being too risky.

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the lion charge and Ronnie's shot is one of the best lion charges I've ever seen. I have timed the charge at Ronnie vs. the lion charge where the lion got to Peter Chipman, and the Botswana charge(Dangerous Game) was about twice as fast as the "In the Jaws of Simba" charge.

One of Us
Picture of Riodot
posted Hide Post
The interesting thing to me was the slow motion footage.

You could actually see the bullet hit the lion between the eyes when he was about 15 ft from the PH. Eeker

Most amazing footage I ever saw.

Lance

Lance Larson Studio

lancelarsonstudio.com

Posts: 933 | Location: Casa Grande, AZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Anybody got the link handy?

Thanks,
Ski+3

Posts: 859 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
im not sure if this is the lion charge they are talking about. if it isnt please let me know i found it with yahoo video search engine
http://www.coyamehunting.com/videos/lion.wmv

anticipation of fear is worse than fear itself

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That video has been around for awile. It is a canned lion shoot in South Africa that almost went bad. It wasn't hunting - just a dishonest outfitter fooling some idiot with a lot of money that it was a "real, wild" lion, not someone's pet.

Posts: 10292 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ndlovu
posted Hide Post
sorry then, i thought this was the video they were taling about in the thread

anticipation of fear is worse than fear itself

Posts: 62 | Location: Krugersdorp, Gauteng South Africa | Registered: 24 November 2006Reply With Quote