New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 Rigby Bullets , Which Ones
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning my first buffalo hunt for Aug 05. I will be using a Ruger Magnum bolt gun in 416 Rigby. What has been the experience of the members here that have used the Rigby ? Who makes the best expanding and solid bullets ? Should the first two rounds be soft point followed by solids, or straight solids ? I am going to load to factory speed, nothing hot. Thanks.................JJ

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
JJ,
We're blessed with so many good bullets today. While preparing for my last safari, I worked up loads with Northforks, Woodleighs (soft and solid), Noslers, Barnes (X and Solids), and Hornadys (soft and solid). I'd gladly go on a safari shooting any of these bullets. OK, the Hornady softs might be just a little too soft, but I wouldn't let that keep me at home.

What's going to be fun for you is finding a bullet/powder combination(s) that shoots accurately at your desired velocity. Then you have to experiment until you find a soft and a solid load that print to the same POI.

For my rifle, the combination was Woodleigh softs and Barnes solids. Using this combination, I could print 3 softs and 3 solids into a single 6 shot group that consistently measured 1-1/2 inches or less.

The Northforks were the most consistently accurate soft with several loads giving me one hole groups. The problem was that I couldn't find a solid that would come close to the same POI.

The Barnes solids were the most accurate solids in my rifle. The single most accurate load was not the one I ended up using in Africa because it printed a little too far away from the softs for my taste.

Another combination of Nosler partitions and Woodleigh solids was just about as good as the Woodleigh/Barnes combo. I would have no qualms about using this combo.

Another thing to consider is using a Barnes-X and forego the solids. Not my preference, but it works well for some inexperienced hunters.

Really the reason I didn't consider a single monolithic soft load was that I was hunting lion and wanted something that would open a little faster.

You've got a lot of options. You'll get to know your rifle as you experiment.

FWIW, I like a single soft on top of four solids when I'm hunting buffalo.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
JJ,
For a factory option I shoot the Federal Premiums loaded with the 410 grain Woodleigh solids. They shoot very well (1 MOA) in my rifle. I just got back from the Zambezi Valley and shot all my game with solids, 2 elephant, warthog, bushpig and a grysbok. For buff, I've shot the soft on top, solids below and all solids. It's really personal preference and what loads your gun shoots well and if you can find the soft, solid combo that shoots close to the same POI. I don't know if the buff I shot really knew the difference! They all ended up dead. For cats, however, I would definitely follow Forrest's lead and shoot softs.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
If it was me...if you are not hunting elephants, just use softs, Swift, Nosler, or any other premium bullet.

Posts: 19361 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting Herds: use a soft on top followed by solids to shoot the old boy up the keyster as he runs away after taking a soft...

Bachlor bulls: I use solids or Northfork cup points exclusively...the cup point is a great compromise.

Posts: 42152 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only hunted buffalo once, but the SAF 400 gr bullet in the Rigby worked just like clock work. Be careful with the first round and you won't have to worry about the rest of the bullets in your magazine. On broadside shots you will find the bullet almsost always in the off side hide. Both mine were and the PH said that was typical performance. "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned there are many good bullets for the .416 Rigby, so that you have a broad choice. To add another two new bullets - Trophy Bonded Bearclaw & Solid, although I'm not sure that you also get them for reloading (I was using factory ammunition).

They performed very well on my 2 buff last year:

Best regards,

Erik

Posts: 175 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ,

Give this some consideration.

North Fork 370 gr. softs and solids. The solids hit 1/4 to 1/2" lower than the softs at 100 yards. Tested this with 10 shots of each on the same target.

Norma brass
Federal Gold Medal Match Magnum primers
H4831SC 102.5 gr. or 105 gr.

I use a Lee Factory Crimp Die at 1/2 turn. This allows me to use the 102.5 gr. load. Before I used the Lee die, it took 105 gr. to get up to 2525 fps. This load hits the same point of impact with the same point of aim from 25 to 100 yards.(with-in a small fraction of an inch) Don't believe me, try it for yourself.

This load produces 1/2" groups at 100 yards. All day, every day. Mike at North Fork has some of my targets and recovered bullets.

I tested the cupped tip solids in Tanzania in 2002 on a buff that I took down with one shot. I have the video that shows ALL of the solids went through the buff from all angles, including length wise. North Forks are the way to go for me. Very accurate, low fouling, faster with less powder. The performance is stellar.

Good luck in your search.

All the best,

Sam
eclemmons@hotmail.com

Posts: 702 | Location: Lenoir. N.C. | Registered: 18 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hhmag
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of solids on buff. I keep 2 on the bottom when I have clients out, but I much prefer solid shank softs. I had a client last year that insisted on 2 softs over 2 solids. He ended up passing thru his buff with the solid and hitting another, small bull almost 100 yds away. This was after I had asked him to leave the solids in camp. He tried fighting me over the trophy fee on the second bull, which took me the better part of 8 hours to find and sort out. He paid, but it's still a mess!

I like these bullets for buff. Look thru the website and read the reports. This is a heck of a bullet!

I have used them for a few years now and they continue to impress me on everything I use them on.

Posts: 395 | Location: Florida's Fabulous East Coast | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote