THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Percival's and Sutherland's guns sold

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Percival's and Sutherland's guns sold
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I checked today's auction results. Phil Percival's pair of Lang boxlock 450's sold for only 12,000 pounds (plus commission) while Jim Sutherland's Westley Richards boxlock in .577 sold for 55,000 pounds.(1 pound equals about 2 USD).

I seriously considered bidding on Percival's rifles. From what I could tell, they were well used, but appeared to be well cared for. I am surprised that Percival's rifles sold so cheaply. I can kick myself! Frowner

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually, both rifles were pretty rough, including pitted bores. Still, I'm surprised they didn't bring more.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I attended the auction today, and the pair of 450s was well used and if this had been after te sutherlands rifel It would have been mine!! THis actually did not fetch as mutch as i expected.

Regarding Sutherlands Rifle the bidding strated at 8000 and endd up at 55000 hammerprice wich turns out to be around 68000 with comittion and vat. I am sure the Vendores are happy with this lot!!!! I handled it and playe with it and i was actually amased by in how good condittion this rifle actally was due to the use it has actually seen. the rifling was clearly used but what else could you expect!!!! they where indeed very cleen, but used, the action was thight, as well as the forend!!! Let us all hope that it went into a really interesting colectors home that will apreciate this rifle.

It was actually the forst time it was up fo sale. Sutherland gave it to Anderson. and it has been in the Anderson families posittion ever since. up untill today.

I feel huble that i have had the oppertunity to handle this rifle!!!! It was a moment in my life indeed!

Posts: 91 | Location: Norway | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&L. I envy you in that you got to fondle these rifles. Smiler I had planned to bid and anticipated having to pay more. I'm leaving for Africa shortly and had just too much on my plate to register, etc.

To me it is quite interesting that he ordered these at the same time. This says a lot about his line of work. He obviously felt that if one broke in the field he would need to have the other available.

I'm very surprised they sold so cheaply. There must be fewer of "us" than I thought. How can it be that the most prominent professional hunter of all time's DGR's sold for so little! C'est le vie!

Posts: 477 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 21 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
John,

The 450's were indeed VERY well worn, and to be honest I'm unsure if they were in practically usable condition.

Sutherlands rifle just needed a bit of a shower and a shave and she was ready to hit the town!!

It really is lovely to be able to go and handle these guns and I make a point og going to most of the auction viewings when there is something good on.

If you have an interest in guns lke that it is always worth getting a report written on them for a small fee to be sure you get ann accurate idea of condition before you bid.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The latest news in the trade today, witch I have from a very reliable frind, is that Westley Richards actually bougth this rifle. They are gone have it for display in the new gunshop. And this is actually very good news. I am very amased about this, It shows us that they want to keep the tradittion and actually offer people to se this museum peace. Instead of the other choise that it would had gone into a private collection.

Thumbs up for W.R.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where is this new Gunshop ?

Seloushunter

Nec Timor Nec Temeritas

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont think they have moved, just redone the one they have already in Bermingham.