THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    For you guys who have hunted in Sandals - Keen, Teva, Merrell, etc.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For you guys who have hunted in Sandals - Keen, Teva, Merrell, etc.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted
I was thinking about taking my Keens this year (along with a good pair of boots), but I have some questions.

Do you wear socks? If so, do you also wear gaiters, or is that a waste at that point?

Do you get a lot of debris (seeds, thorns, rocks, etc.) in them that bother your feet?

What do you find to be the benefits other than obviously cooler feet to wearing them rather than a nice pair of lightweight hikers?

Thanks in advance...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I've hunted in Keens (here and in Africa). I wouldn't do it again as it's just too much trouble. I was constantly having to stop and pull debris out from under my feet. For me, ankle high hikers work much better.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ive hunted in Keens a few times.. Only problem I have had is that sand likes to get in and starts rubbing..the sandals are close-toed though. An open toe sandal would work better at letting dirt/sand through but then your toes are exposed to taking the brunt of the stumps, rocks, etc.
In Oct, I'll have mine with me as always but I will have a pair of Merrells lightweight hikers too.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scottyboy:
An open toe sandal would work better at letting dirt/sand through...

Exactly - I've hunted in Teva's and intend to do it again - no socks and gaiters. Don't let the fright of injure put you away - just wore them prior the hunt off the track - in no time you will get improved feeling to take care where to put your step - and you will be more quiet. In hot pursuit where minutes count - if there will be a river to cross, no lost time in taking your boots off - just wade through and continue...Be prepared tho - you will get those tiny iritating grass cuts on the front of the ankles - those are quite iritating in the start - but after a couple of days you get used to and skin hardens...

P.S. Oh, yes - it does help a lot if you walk barefoot a lot. It would be quite a mistake to step out the boots you're used to and expect to do in sandals just fine right away - you won't - it takes some preparation indeed.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big fan of them Tim. During times that I've needed to be light on my feet, I've worn Converse "Chuck Taylor" Hightops instead. They provide my feet just a tad more protection, than open toed sandals. They give your feet a little more grip when walking across a river with a slippery rocks underneathe.

When hunting in the O Delta with Calitz in '06 I wore them everyday, walking through the swamps and floodplain. At lunch break I put them next to the fire and they were dry in about an hour. There were no tsetse flies in Botswana, and the vegetation wasn't very thorny, so it made wearing them advantageous.

Having said all that, I've seen lotsa PH's wearing open toed sandals over the years, but I've always considered PH's somewhat of a tougher species than man.

Posts: 636 | Location: The Hills | Registered: 24 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
The problem with you guys is that you are caught up in the advertising.

I have warned about wearing Keens, as they are just a trap for crud. But, oh no, you go ahead and use them. And then don't like them. Go figure. Smiler

The fundamental task is to get as close to the bare foot mode as possible, without the thorns.

Hence, open Tevas or similar. The other guys that know the deal will comment shortly too.

No blisters, no heat, no gaiters, no crap. Learned my lesson.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19363 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
So Bill, how do you feel about shirts with sleeves? And is it true, that you hunt "commando"?

Mike

Posts: 21698 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mouse, if you go bare foot regularly and don't have baby butt soft soles you'll enjoy hunting in open toe sandals. I used Red Head (Bass Pro) and Columbia's in the past and they were fine.

Of course if you are wearing sandals you'll need to paint your toe nails. Don't forget about the small details, gentlemen!

~Ann

Posts: 19551 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
I guess my feet just aren't tough enough. Tevas for a long walking hunt would give me a serious case of the blisters. As mentioned above, be sure you have trained for it.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, you need to borrow some muscles to go with that shirt!!!

Posts: 20161 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I think I will stick with my light boots...

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No hunting in sandals for me. I'm too clumsy. The first thing I'd do is split a toe or get a thorn through some soft tissue. Actually the apprentice in our camp in Tanzania got a thorn in his foot while wearing sandals. It got infected and he was truly screwed for about two weeks.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tim:

I was thinking of wearing merrells on my hunt in Zim next summer. My PH last summer hunts year round in sandals. I initially thought he was crazy but if you get you feet used to them he said they are great. Below is a picture of the sandals he wears. The only change he said he will make on the next pair is that the toe area is a solid piece around the front (help keeps out thorns).

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aspen Hill Adventures:
Of course if you are wearing sandals you'll need to paint your toe nails. Don't forget about the small details, gentlemen!

Spot on! Did just that - redish earth and yellowish buff dung just grow-on by them selves - ofcourse black bumper doesn't stick out too much, as well bloodish red attracts predators perfectly Wink

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My PH in Botswana wore sandals of some kind so I wore my Tevas. They worked so well I wore them in Zim (Save in July. PH wore Keens). No socks. No gators. Very little trouble with stuff getting in. I sometimes wear Keens at home and stuff gets in. Tevas can be quickly removed and dumped. Keens take longer.

Posts: 84 | Location: southern california | Registered: 16 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I will stick with my light boots...

tu2 Wink

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wore Tevas for my first couple of ele hunts. After wading a sandy stream and having the sand wear a blister on my arch and later breaking a toe by stubbing it on a rock, I quit them. I now wear a light pair of Rockport walking shoes. They work just fine with out socks or gaiters.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I don't wear them for hunting particularly often but do live in them for about 9 months of every years at home and/or around camp but I reckon the old style Masai car tyre sandals are the most comfortable thing ever.

Cost is about US$10-15 a pair and they'll last forever or at least until you lose them in a river. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
You couldn't pay me to wear anything but a boot of some sort. I once had a thorn bury itself in the fleshy part of my hand and can only imagine what would happen to your safari if the same happened in the foot......end of safari.

I don't have vast safari experience like some but have you ever seen any tracker, game scout etc. wear sandals in the field......I have not.

So who do you emulate, a crazy too long in the sun PH or his sensible employee......in tennis shoes? LOL

Posts: 932 | Location: Delaware, USA | Registered: 13 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odie:
have you ever seen any tracker, game scout etc. wear sandals in the field......I have not.

Plenty do my friend.... esp the Masai. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunting in the (largely flooded) Caprivi last year I didn't think my lightweight hiking boots would work very well. I wound up using a set of "water shoes" which were shaped like Keens with the solid toe bumper, but with mesh on the tops and sides. Prior to coming I had replaced the elastic cord with standard shoelaces so that I could tie them up properly. They were great! Easy on and off, super quick drying, comfortable. We did a lot of walking in shallow muck and water, and I never regretted using them, despite my PH's misgivings when he first saw them.

Mind you, at the end trip, I also didn't regret leaving them behind. Phew!

Posts: 1028 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 01 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Wearing sandals to hunt on safari is just about the stupidest thing I have ever heard...

All this from the crowd that says...don't skimp on X because it is only Y dollars on a $15K-$30K hunt...

or

I need 5 down in my 375HH in case I am in a group of angry cow ele's...

or

discusses the danger of snakes, scorpions, and spiders

is willing to a)increase the likelihood of injury to their feet (one of the most vulnerable parts of your body on safari) by a factor of 20 b) limit their ability to move quickly if danger presents itself, or b)gasp, groan, or say aggh in pain in the middle of a stalk because at the most in opportune time a rock, stick, or thorn jabs into their foot that would have been of no consequence had they been wearing a light boot all so they can look cool or dress like their PH.

what a bunch of macho bullsh*t ego crap.

Wonder how many of these folks would show up to hunt in sandals in the US at a warm weather hunting destination...

Maybe if you have lived in the bush all your life and have spent a lot of time in bare feet and they have toughened up it is a little less risky.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike,

mate, a lot really depends on where in Africa you're hunting. There's a fair bit of Africa that has few, if any thorns and if hunting an area with flatttish terrain and few if any thorns, why not wear sandals?

I presonally prefer light boots but don't have a problem with someone wearing sandals if the prefer..... and certainly my own Masai version don't slow me down any.

FWIW, I've been hunting Africa for a fair number of years now and have never come close to getting bitten by a snake or stung by a scorpion and the only spider bites I've had were at home when doing the washing up.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Steve,

My post is more about the hypocrisy of posts.

I am sure there are parts of Africa where sandals would not be a substantial issue.

What I am really referring to is there are a tremendous number of posts that have a general theme of:

Don't do X or you must have Y becuase there is a 10% chance of Z happening.

For example:

a) My 375HH must hold at least 4 or 5 down

b) Don't use a 270 win with a 150 grn premium bullets because you might have to pass on the quartering shot at the trophy eland at 300 yards (as if most of us would take a marginal shot on a $1500 trohy fee)

c) I need an ammo carrier that holds at least 10 rounds because I may not get back to the hunting car at noon and 4 in the gun plus 5 on my belt and 3 emergency spare in my pocket for a total of 12 may not be enough for a days hunt.

When I compare the risk and the likelihood of the X, Y, and Z scenarios above to the risk of wearing sandals and the risk of getting cut or injured feet or not being able to climb over that small rocky hill (which is probably 20 times more likely than any of the above)I am just amazed that anybody would even consider it.

I am a firm believer in the 90% soultion. If you are a hunter, you probably have warm weather boots and cold weather boots or medium boots and you adjust with different socks.

If folks get enjoyment out of wearing sandals on safari more power to them.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Mike

I agree some people worry far too much about the highly unlikely happening but I guess I can understand it to some extent at least. Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Will:
The problem with you guys is that you are caught up in the advertising.

I have warned about wearing Keens, as they are just a trap for crud. But, oh no, you go ahead and use them. And then don't like them. Go figure. Smiler

The fundamental task is to get as close to the bare foot mode as possible, without the thorns.

Hence, open Tevas or similar. The other guys that know the deal will comment shortly too.

No blisters, no heat, no gaiters, no crap. Learned my lesson.

Bill - I too like your shoes, seems perfect to me. However, if you're gonna wear sleeve-less shirts and show the guns, you gotta hit the gym bro!!! Wink

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I agree 100% with Mike on this thread.

IF you grew up in Zim wearing sandals year round and are comfortable using them all the time that is one thing...do what works for you and god bless ya.

BUT WHY would some half a century old overweight chair polisher who spends 98% of his life indoors under florescent lights in a climate controlled office NEED to be wearing Tevas, or any other type of sandal???

I'll tell you why, because it is all about looking cool and playing a part in a fantasy story. Will, sorry to bust you here, but can you tell me the reason why the shirt has no sleeves?? I mean other than the fact that Hulk Hogan started that look in 1982 and you thought it was cool??

For some of these guys, if PHs dressed in drag with hooker high heels and miniskirts they would find a reason to do it also.

I am not trying to be a dick here but this thread has my "arm chair bull shit meter" PEGGED!! thumbdown

The ONLY possible advantage a shoe like a Teva would have is if you were hunting in an area with MANY small stream or river crossings or in a swamp. Taking on an off boots all day long as opposed to just wading through the water would get time consuming and old.

Some guys claim they need to be "light" on their feet.... REALY!!!
Here is a tip for all you wana be night stalkers , if you want to be quieter on a stalk...LOOSE SOME EXTRA TONNAGE and get in better physical condition.

I am no Olympic athlete, and I do not have the grace of a ballerina BUT I have successfully stalked all types of 2 and 4 legged animals while wearing plain old Fort Lewis Danners.

I have been to Africa hunting only twice, but I hunt A LOT in the USA and I work outdoors in a hostile environment 50 plus hours a week. I wear BOOTS to protect my feet when necesary. I have been deployed to places that are VERY hot at times and guess what…my feet did get sweaty, so in the middle of the day I changed out socks if I could and aired out my feet as much as possible at the end of tour. BUT I did not become disabled by a sharp rock or some other piece of debris because I wanted to look like a Selous Scout during the bush war. Another thing I have not done while working in a desert environment that I GUARANTEE is hotter than anywhere people hunt in Africa is WEAR SHORTS!! There is another “wanting to look the part” jerk off move. Light BDU or other Khaki type pants will protect you from thorns, sun ticks and will be just as cool as shorts. I

Once again, I am not trying to be a dick here but HOW can anybody here advise some neophyte to use something like Tevas and shorts in the thorn infested woods that is Africa?

Seriously guys, lets keep fantasy and reality separate here...

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Steve,

My post is more about the hypocrisy of posts.

I am sure there are parts of Africa where sandals would not be a substantial issue.

What I am really referring to is there are a tremendous number of posts that have a general theme of:

Don't do X or you must have Y becuase there is a 10% chance of Z happening.

For example:

a) My 375HH must hold at least 4 or 5 down

b) Don't use a 270 win with a 150 grn premium bullets because you might have to pass on the quartering shot at the trophy eland at 300 yards (as if most of us would take a marginal shot on a $1500 trohy fee)

c) I need an ammo carrier that holds at least 10 rounds because I may not get back to the hunting car at noon and 4 in the gun plus 5 on my belt and 3 emergency spare in my pocket for a total of 12 may not be enough for a days hunt.

When I compare the risk and the likelihood of the X, Y, and Z scenarios above to the risk of wearing sandals and the risk of getting cut or injured feet or not being able to climb over that small rocky hill (which is probably 20 times more likely than any of the above)I am just amazed that anybody would even consider it.

I am a firm believer in the 90% soultion. If you are a hunter, you probably have warm weather boots and cold weather boots or medium boots and you adjust with different socks.

If folks get enjoyment out of wearing sandals on safari more power to them.

Nothing like the voice of inexperience. Smiler

Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
I agree 100% with Mike on this thread.

IF you grew up in Zim wearing sandals year round and are comfortable using them all the time that is one thing...do what works for you and god bless ya.

BUT WHY would some half a century old overweight chair polisher who spends 98% of his life indoors under florescent lights in a climate controlled office NEED to be wearing Tevas, or any other type of sandal???

I'll tell you why, because it is all about looking cool and playing a part in a fantasy story. Will, sorry to bust you here, but can you tell me the reason why the shirt has no sleeves?? I mean other than the fact that Hulk Hogan started that look in 1982 and you thought it was cool??

For some of these guys, if PHs dressed in drag with hooker high heels and miniskirts they would find a reason to do it also.

I am not trying to be a dick here but this thread has my "arm chair bull shit meter" PEGGED!! thumbdown

The ONLY possible advantage a shoe like a Teva would have is if you were hunting in an area with MANY small stream or river crossings or in a swamp. Taking on an off boots all day long as opposed to just wading through the water would get time consuming and old.

Some guys claim they need to be "light" on their feet.... REALY!!!
Here is a tip for all you wana be night stalkers , if you want to be quieter on a stalk...LOOSE SOME EXTRA TONNAGE and get in better physical condition.

I am no Olympic athlete, and I do not have the grace of a ballerina BUT I have successfully stalked all types of 2 and 4 legged animals while wearing plain old Fort Lewis Danners.

I have been to Africa hunting only twice, but I hunt A LOT in the USA and I work outdoors in a hostile environment 50 plus hours a week. I wear BOOTS to protect my feet when necesary. I have been deployed to places that are VERY hot at times and guess what…my feet did get sweaty, so in the middle of the day I changed out socks if I could and aired out my feet as much as possible at the end of tour. BUT I did not become disabled by a sharp rock or some other piece of debris because I wanted to look like a Selous Scout during the bush war. Another thing I have not done while working in a desert environment that I GUARANTEE is hotter than anywhere people hunt in Africa is WEAR SHORTS!! There is another “wanting to look the part” jerk off move. Light BDU or other Khaki type pants will protect you from thorns, sun ticks and will be just as cool as shorts. I

Once again, I am not trying to be a dick here but HOW can anybody here advise some neophyte to use something like Tevas and shorts in the thorn infested woods that is Africa?

Seriously guys, lets keep fantasy and reality separate here...

More power to your opinion but I know better what works for me.

Do what you want to, but you couldn't change my mind in a million years. Take care.

One of Us
Picture of Honkey
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to change anyone’s mind. Best of luck to anyone out there hunting, doing what we all love.

No hard feeling Will. Smiler

I am just stating my opinion, just like every other asswipe with internet access and free time!!
stir

NRA Life
DRSS
Searcy 470 NE

The poster formerly known as Uglystick

Posts: 512 | Location: New Mexico USA | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Honkey:
I'm not trying to change anyone’s mind. Best of luck to anyone out there hunting, doing what we all love.

No hard feeling Will. Smiler

I am just stating my opinion, just like every other asswipe with internet access and free time!!
stir

Same here. Just my opinion, for what it is worth!

one of us
posted Hide Post
There is a young PH that hunts occasionally with Owen Smith [Jimbah Safaris] his name escapes me at the moment, who hunts barefoot, year-round! In the Eastern Cape!

Me? I'm wearing boots, summer, winter and all other times in the bush!

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Will,

Not nearly as many safaris under my belt as you. Just 5...but guess what...

...walking in the "bush" wherever the bush is is has some very common themes...you encounter grass, sticks, bushes, thorns, rocks, pebbles etc. all of it can be a problem and are likely to be a problem wearing sandals.

Additionally, you may need to climb small hills or in and out of stream beds with steep embankments both of those are much more difficult in sandals then light weight boots or even shoes.

I have never been a tow truck driver either. But not wearing gloves and wearing shorts is probably a good way to get a lot of annoying injuries when you are constantly having to get on the ground and work with heavy tools.

"Nothing like the voice of inexperience. Smiler"

Nothing like the voice of an ego Smiler

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took Teva Dozier sandals and Russel PH boots to Zim last November. I never wore the Russells. The Tevas have incredible traction on rocks- better than the Russells. I did not wear socks or gaiters either. Debris are extremely easy to remove- just shake your foot a few times and the stuff is gone. A final advantage is cleaning- just wash them off in the shower.

Posts: 550 | Location: Augusta,GA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrfudd:
I took Teva Dozier sandals and Russel PH boots to Zim last November. I never wore the Russells. The Tevas have incredible traction on rocks- better than the Russells. I did not wear socks or gaiters either. Debris are extremely easy to remove- just shake your foot a few times and the stuff is gone. A final advantage is cleaning- just wash them off in the shower.

tu2

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
How can anyone look at that picture of Will and think he's tryin to look cool? Roll Eyes

He's not wearing gaiters; he's not wearing a binoc bra; he's not wearing an Aussie hat; he's not wearing a dark green anything.

Seems to me he's just trying to be comfortable and if it works for him - who cares? Somebody smack me; I'm standing up for Will....

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One problem for sure that most dont think about is sunburn on the tops of the feet. I have done this fishing wearing sandals. I wouldnt want to hike around hunting terrain like that.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have to admire those guys who hunt in sandals, I had a PH who did. Too many thorns and rock for me, I will stick with my Russels! Big Grin

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Will,

Not nearly as many safaris under my belt as you. Just 5...but guess what...

...walking in the "bush" wherever the bush is is has some very common themes...you encounter grass, sticks, bushes, thorns, rocks, pebbles etc. all of it can be a problem and are likely to be a problem wearing sandals.

Additionally, you may need to climb small hills or in and out of stream beds with steep embankments both of those are much more difficult in sandals then light weight boots or even shoes.

I have never been a tow truck driver either. But not wearing gloves and wearing shorts is probably a good way to get a lot of annoying injuries when you are constantly having to get on the ground and work with heavy tools.

"Nothing like the voice of inexperience. Smiler"

Nothing like the voice of an ego Smiler

Mike,

Nothing personal, just throwing out my 2 cents worth.

Guys have sworn to me, and sworn at me, that wouldn't wear Tevas on a bet. But when they tried it they were converts. Try it next time. You can swear at me if they don't work for you!

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
My Tevas would have been perfect for my last Caprivi hunt. Wet most of the time and sandy when dry.

Chuck Taylors worked when it was wet, but the ventilation holes let in all of the sand when it was dry and sandy. Had to empty them every thirty minutes. Not cool and not comfortable.

My Ecco boots worked in the sand, but the Gore-Tex linings clogged with mud when it was wet. Result: Boots that did not breathe and that overheated and smothered my feet. I had to take them off and hike home in socks more than once.

In that terrain, my Tevas would have been perfect.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13633 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote