Find
Notify
Tools

update on zimbabwe money
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ivan carter
posted
today they removed nine zeroes from the exchange rate ....great way to stop inflation !!!

exchange rate is now 10:1 last week it was a trillion ... actually its the second time they have done that so the real rate should be 1000 trillion Eeker

"The greatest threat to our wildlife is the thought that someone else will save it”

www.facebook.com/ivancartersafrica

www.ivancarterwca.org
www.ivancarter.com
ivan@ivancarter.com

Posts: 1201 | Location: South Africa  | Registered: 04 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think they actually knocked off TEN zeros, but at some point what's the difference.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080730/wl_africa_afp/zimb...iO3BmzkOpNN3euu96Q8F

Mike

Posts: 21692 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Matt Norman
posted Hide Post
They should go to the 'bread standard'. Issue 1 loaf notes, 5 loaf notes, 10 loaf notes, etc. The government (do they even rate that title any more?) should back up their loaf notes with a couple of heavily guarded warehouses filled with loaves of bread.

It would make a lot more sense then trying to print bills that only a NASA computer can do the math on and that a cow turd has more real value.

Posts: 3277 | Location: Western Slope Colorado, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I prefer a different standard, which in the USA has always been pretty stable.

For example, right now, two rolls of (high quality) toilet paper pretty much equals three US dollars.

That's two thousand sheets of toilet paper to three sheets of money.

So, it's still cheaper to attend to anal hygiene with toilet paper than with dollars.

Inflation is under control as long as that's true.

That is not true in Zimbabwe.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13625 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Amazing. Mugabe is singlehandedly bringing back the use of shiny beads as the preferred form of currency.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think as a hunter in Zim, we should only think about what it costs in US $. I don't plan to even spend any Zim $ on my next trip.

Posts: 1357 | Location: Texas | Registered: 17 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't plan to even spend any Zim $ on my next trip.

I don't think a single foreign hunter has spent a Zim dollar in Zim in five years, have they?

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrlexma:
I prefer a different standard, which in the USA has always been pretty stable.

For example, right now, two rolls of (high quality) toilet paper pretty much equals three US dollars.

That's two thousand sheets of toilet paper to three sheets of money.

So, it's still cheaper to attend to anal hygiene with toilet paper than with dollars.

Inflation is under control as long as that's true.

That is not true in Zimbabwe.

dancing Now that is funny. Too bad it's true but it's still funny.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote