Find
Notify
Tools

What do do about a backup rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wooly ESS
posted
I have read and enjoyed the many discussions here on the need for a backup rifle on an African safari, and how to manage it. I have also read that the most common failure on a big game bolt rifle is firing pin and/or extractor. Would not an acceptible compromise between adequate backup and ease and convenience of travel be to carry an extra bolt for your rifle of choice. Both the firing pin and the extractor are components of the bolt, so a spare bolt would solve the problem of backup in the case of firing pin/extractor failure. This solution would not provide backup for stock breakage, but would cover just about anything else.

It seems to me that a spare bolt, and an extra, sighted-in scope would cover most failure problems likely to be ecountered on safari.

What sez the resident wisdom? Is it even possible to obtain a bolt for an existing rifle?

The truth will set you free,
but first it's gonna piss you off!
www.ceandersonart.com

Posts: 574 | Location: The great plains of southern Alberta | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The bolt would have to properly headspaced for the action for me to consider it safe.

Also, what would you do if the stock on your one rifle broke, or if the screws on the scope bases failed? What about a broken trigger sear?

What if the ammunition for your one rifle was lost or confiscated, or if it exhibits high-pressure signs when you get there?

Bringing just one rifle on a safari strikes me as false economy and slightly foolhardy.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeS:
Also, what would do if the stock on your one rifle broke...
George

As I posted in Terry's thread, this happened to me, luckily on the way home. Nonetheless, had it happened on the way over, I would have been stuck with my other rifle. No biggy - I had the "other" rifle. Get a TuffPak and take two rifles. It's relatively cheap and easy insurance.

Posts: 3300 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah! I also posted on Terry's topic. I think you need TWO complete rifles and ideally an extra scope for each. You have to take a big old gun case anyway so 2 guns are really only slightly more problematic than one.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13004 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take an extra '06 or 30 caliber anything and you will not go wrong.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I won't travel with only one rifle. I'd hate like heck to ruin an expensive hunt because of convenience. If you take a spare you will probably never need it, that's why you take it.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of formerflyer
posted Hide Post
I'm with the "Take 2 rifles" group. Mine second rifle is a Steyr .376, which will still get the job done if my heavy is the one that takes a powder.

"If you can get closer, get closer. If you can get steadier, get steadier."

Posts: 117 | Location: Honolulu, HI | Registered: 14 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Given the expense in time and money of an African safari, it is poor economy to take only one rifle. I typically take two, an extra scope, and a spare firing pin, firing pin spring and extractor for my rifles. I too have had a previously fine rifle start to malfunction either because of bad ammo or other problem. We switched to my brother's rifle (our backup), and continued the hunt. Kudude

PS: My brother "economized" and only brought one box of shells. Fortunately, we were able to take what we were hunting within that number, but it was a damned close thing! If we had run out, we could probably have policed up some 7mmRemMag in RSA, one of the advantages of the old, long magnums. kd

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BwanaBob
posted Hide Post
My philosophy, on avoiding a ruined hunt from equipment failure, has always been to take two rifles - a heavy calibre for the 'big boys'and a lighter caliber for plains game. However, my lighter calibre has always been my .375 H&H!

This is not to say that you need a .375 for plains game - only that the .375 shoots like a .30/06, with the right bullets will flatten plains game without excessive damage and, if the heavy calibre rifle becomes unserviceable, the .375 can be used for the 'big boys', too!

I like the idea of redundancy and I am certain that what I really should be carrying is TWO identical .375s, with identical scopes in identical QD mounts, with identical open sights and shooting the same ammo.

But I can't help but take a heavy calibre (usually a double) as well - I am a sucker for the 'romance' of a double in Africa.

"White men with their ridiculous civilization lie far from me. No longer need I be a slave to money" (W.D.M Bell)
www.cybersafaris.com.au

Posts: 909 | Location: Blackheath, NSW, Australia | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I guess my packrat tendencies carry over to the two rifle setup. Fortunately, I've got a hunting partner who seems to get whatever I've got! Went so far as to have a mirror image rifle made up (mine's a lefty, his a righty). cheers Yeah, we've shot each other's rifle and can work around the bolt problem. Still...one of us seems to always bring a spare. Roll Eyes

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I'd rather plan for the worst and hope for the best than risk a high-dollar safari by leaving things to chance.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote