New
Find
Notify
Tools

Air Travel to Tanzania
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going to Tanzania around the first of September. It looks like my choice of airlines are: KLM, Emeriates and Turkish Air. I have traveled to Tanzania a few years back with KLM. The service was good and no issues with my rifle other than having to have a Holland Gun Permit. I have heard a lot about Emeriates being a very good airline. If you were going to Tanzania, which airline would you use?

Gracias,

Hoot

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using KLM as it's the shortest trip time wise for me.

I run out of vacation time pretty quickly, so avoiding an extra travel day is huge to me.

Not to mention I trust the mechanics in Europe a little more...

Posts: 10964 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hoot,
Wife and I flew on KLM out of Houston through Amsterdam to Dar Es Salaam last September. I booked my travel through Travel With Guns and they took care of the Dutch gun permits.
We missed our connecting flight out of Amst. due to a medical emergency that caused us to land in Halifax, but that was certainly no fault of KLM.
We flew on a passenger/cargo plane with a load of horses, so that was kind of neat. Didn't impact the flight at all, I just thought it was interesting.
We upgraded to the next level above basic (don't remember what it's called) and got a bit more leg room, so the flight was as good as those things get.
kh

Posts: 247 | Location: Round Rock, Texas | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1 - emirates (by far... check out business class tickets, make sure to go on the A380)

2 - turkish airlines

Posts: 756 | Location: California | Registered: 26 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bobby7321,

Is A380 the model of the aircraft? Please tell me why I need to go on this airplane. Right now, from the posts I received and those that I see in the African Travel Forum, I am planning to go via Emirates. Will have to check with Travel with Guns to see if Emirates will fit with my travel dates.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
bobby7321,

Is A380 the model of the aircraft? Please tell me why I need to go on this airplane. Right now, from the posts I received and those that I see in the African Travel Forum, I am planning to go via Emirates. Will have to check with Travel with Guns to see if Emirates will fit with my travel dates.

The A380 is the latest long range wide body aircraft.

Emirates entertainment system is one of the best, so you won't get bored on a long flight.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Thank you for the information. This is a new one for me as always in the past when I traveled one did not have the choice on which airplane to fly on. You simply bought the ticket and boarded whatever airplane was at the gate.

Gracias,

Hoot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoot: I think it depends on where you're going in Tanzania. I have flown KLM and Emirates and I believe Emirates is the best airline. If you are connecting with your safari company in Arusha it is hard to beat KLM because they go from Amsterdam nonstop to Arusha. If you are connecting with your safari company in Dar then I'd fly Emirates. MMP

Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hoot Murray:
Saeed,

Thank you for the information. This is a new one for me as always in the past when I traveled one did not have the choice on which airplane to fly on. You simply bought the ticket and boarded whatever airplane was at the gate.

Gracias,

Hoot

Hoot,

You really dop not have a choice of what plane you are going to be on, but Emirates operates the latest available.

I just flew on British Airways for the first time in over 30 years.

Nothing wrong with them at all. We flew on a 747, seats were very comfortable, service was very good on the flight.

But, the over all experience cannot be compared with Emirates.

It won't be fair to say it was like chalk and cheese.

But, may be like hunting in the wilds of Tanzania and a small fenced farm in South Africa beer

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68613 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It won't be fair to say it was like chalk and cheese.

But, may be like hunting in the wilds of Tanzania and a small fenced farm in South Africa.
clap

Posts: 2030 | Registered: 06 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Price and convenience were two factors for us. In the end, with only one stop on KLM and a short layover in Amsterdam, it was a pretty easy decision.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote