Find
Notify
Tools

OT .. treating sea turtle leather..
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted
My father gave me an old pair of sea turtle boots and I would like to know how to treat them.. I can not find anything on the net and I figured someone here would know..

Thanks John

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Would leather/reptile cleaner and condition do it? I have looked into getting a pair of exotic boots or two in the past and salesmen always told me the same thing: use reptile leather cleaners/conditions on your reptile skin boots and save the regular leather products for the cows.

If I'm wrong, hopefully someone more knowledgable will chime in.

Otherwise, might you contact someone who deals in exotic leathers? Perhaps they could be of so help to you.

Tex

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Good idea I will call loveless...

Thanks John

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you contact Gary Loveless, he'll tell you the same thing ... Bick's #4 cleaner. It does a great job on exotic skins, cleans and moisturizes/preserves. Unfortunately, sea turtle is one of those skins that tends to crack readily, and once the cracking starts it's hard to stop it. If the boots don't have any cracks yet, get some Bick's 4 and start treating them right away. Bick's is also good for other exotics; I use it on everything from crocodile to ostrich and reptiles. Good stuf! Oh, and Loveless carries it in stock; kinda hard to find otherwise.

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
I don't have a clue on how to treat or condition them but a pair of sea turtle leather boots sounds really cool!!!! Maybe you can get a baby seal hat to go with them!!!!!! Big Grin

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
I can not for the life of me find Bick's on the web do you know where I can get some?

No baby seals for me, but I could not turn these down they are comfortable and very nice looking.

Thanks, John

one of us
posted Hide Post
how about some pictures?

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tol'ya Smiler

The only places I know that have it are Gary Loveless in OKC and Cavendar's Boot Center here in Dallas. There's not a Cavendar's close to me or I'd pick you up a bottle.

Is there a Cavendar's near you?

Posts: 470 | Location: Mountains of Southern New Mexico | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I can't help myself... Big Grin

Turtle wax of course!

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
jpb,
roflmao roflmao roflmao

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
roflmao to the turtle wax..

I will call loveless or cavanders (2 hours away) this week.. After I treat them I will post pics. They have been worn and will need new soles but are in supprisingly good shape considering my father tossed em in the closet 15 years ago..

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the soles aren't totally destroyed, try to have them half-soled instead of having full soles put on them. The original pegging of the arches will be destroyed if you full-sole them. That, and new heel caps should put you in good shape. And try to find a bootmaker to sole the instead of the local shoe shop.

I sent you a PM. I have an extra bottle of Bick's I picked up from Gary Loveless at the DSC show this year...be glad to send it to ya.

Dennis

one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
Dennis IM returned

I am going to call Loveless and ask if they will work on the boots or recommend someone..