New
Find
Notify
Tools

The check is in the mail....
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well , I guess it is too late to turn back now, even if I wanted to , (and I don't). Put a check in the mail to Wendell Reich to cover my deposit on a non-trophy bull elephant in the Caprivi area of Namibia in July.

Be my first time to chase elephant and also the first time I will bring a rifle to Africa. All my other trips have been with my bow.

Looking forward to the hunt and made my decision to go after reading about this hunt here on AR.

Now it is time to start shooting a gun suitable for this trip so when the time is here I will be ready.

We seldom get to choose
But I've seen them go both ways
And I would rather go out in a blaze of glory
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great choice of hunt, PH and booking agent. Congrats on booking your first ele.

Posts: 4168 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So,
What gun are you taking?

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
doc, so what rifle are you taking, inquiring minds want to know!!!

You will never be the same after hunting ele...

Mike Eeker thumb

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am looking at options right now. As I have said before, the biggest part of my hunting for the last twenty years has been with bow. I have rifles chambered for 270 and 300 Win Mag on Ruger M77 frames and I am comfortable with that set-up so I might stick with a Ruger. I also own a custom built 35 Whelen Improved on a Mauser action and while I am sure it would get the job done it is not quite what the letter of the law calls for.As this very well may be a ONE AND DONE hunt for elephant I also have decided to go with 375 H&H. Because of it's versatility I should be able to get some more use out of it after this hunt is completed.

There is a possibility for buff and Hippo on this trip but those details are not yet complete. I suppose that for elephant and hippo that solids will be the order of the day. If buff come into play I will need some sort of soft pointed bullet as well.

We seldom get to choose
Than to slowly rot away!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Shreveport,La.USA | Registered: 08 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As others have said, Good decision!

But I may be prejudiced, as I'll be in the Caprivi with Vaughan for trophy elephant in August. Big Grin

The 375H&H is nearly always a good choice.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyedoc:
I am looking at options right now. As I have said before, the biggest part of my hunting for the last twenty years has been with bow. I have rifles chambered for 270 and 300 Win Mag on Ruger M77 frames and I am comfortable with that set-up so I might stick with a Ruger. I also own a custom built 35 Whelen Improved on a Mauser action and while I am sure it would get the job done it is not quite what the letter of the law calls for.As this very well may be a ONE AND DONE hunt for elephant I also have decided to go with 375 H&H. Because of it's versatility I should be able to get some more use out of it after this hunt is completed.

There is a possibility for buff and Hippo on this trip but those details are not yet complete. I suppose that for elephant and hippo that solids will be the order of the day. If buff come into play I will need some sort of soft pointed bullet as well.

Best of luck, Doc, from a fellow Coonass.

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Boudreaux say ... Big Grin

___________________________________________________________________________________________

Posts: 691 | Location: UTC+8 | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And Boudreaux say go'get'em!! .22 mag and all!!

Posts: 1370 | Location: Home but going back. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No sense in calling out Boudreaux unless you also consult Broussard and Thibadeaux! banana

We can shoot an elehant and start a fire and as long as the Jax holds out we can live there. clap

We seldom get to choose
Than to slowly rot away!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
eyedoc,

When will you be there? My dad and I will be there on a buffalo hunt starting July 22 and I will be hunting a non-trophy bull elephant as well.

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
Hey eyedoc,

That sounds great!! I know Wendell will want you to spend a lot of time practicing with that .22 LR before you go!!

Congrats,

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
You should have an Excellent time!

Wendell is a great guy and so I'm sure you are being setup on a great hunt!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
EyeDoc, be sure to take some Community coffee, and some crawfiish along, their coffee sucks, and day ain't no mudbugs in dah Caprivi! Wink

Good luck, beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SdHall_I will arrive in Windhoek on the 20th July with the hunt to start on the 21st or 22nd. Looks like we will be there at the same time.Hope to see you there.Have you made flight arrangements yet?

Mac- You got that right as far as the community coffee and the ditchbugs. Not likely to see either one. I suspect I can survive on elephant and South African wine. Wonder what their local porcuipine taste like in a gumbo or Sauce Piquan?

We seldom get to choose
Than to slowly rot away!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc,

Great choice on going for the Traditional Elephant. Hunting those bulls is a tremendous experience. Vaughan & group will ensure that you have the exerience of a lifetime.

You'll be up close and personal with the bull you'll take. A .375 should be fine with solids and good shot placement.

.....as far as surviving on elephant? Personally I'd leave that up to the locals. I've never seen one yet that I thought was what we would call 'good table fair.' Now the South African wine is a different affair altogether!!

Elephant bulls in the Caprivi in July.....dang I'm jealous!

Posts: 105 | Location: Missoula MT | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
eyedoc - I am flying over on July 9 heading for Maun. Going to hunt eland and kudu for 8 days and then back to Windhoek on the 20th. I think the charter to Katima on flies on Mondays and Thursdays so we will probably be on the same charter on the 21st. When do you arrive in Windhoek?

Posts: 195 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyedoc is headed over 4 weeks before me and eyedocs son make the trek accros the big pond.We will hook up again in Namibia on August the 17th. We leave out of Atlanta on Delta the 15th if anyone is on the same flight. I expect plenty of pictures and stories by the time we arrive. We only ask that eyedoc has a wonderful elephant hunt,,,, and more importantly has us a few big Kudus and zebras tied to a couple of trees nearby and has not drank all the beer yet,,,,drwes

you can make more money, you can not make more time

Posts: 786 | Location: Mexia Texas | Registered: 07 July 2006Reply With Quote