THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    just how hot can a 9.3X74R be loaded?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

just how hot can a 9.3X74R be loaded?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
can this rimmed round be loaded up to the same as a 9.3X62?

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on which gun you shoot it. Capacity is, if memory serves me right, a tad higher than the 9,3x62 allowing for same velocity levels.
Brass of modern manufacture will allow for such preassures.
In a modern Blaser k95, for example, proofed at .300 Weatherby pressures, you may equal the 9,3x62. In a beginning of the xx century ferlach couble barrel express rifle I would be more conservative.
I beleief the safe working level will be given for the strength of your action and not for the cartridge itself.
best regards
montero

Posts: 874 | Location: Madrid-Spain | Registered: 03 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
If you are shooting a double rifle chambered for the 9.3x74R, you will want to stick with the velocity, and bullet weight the rifle was regulated for. This is not only to make the rifle shoot properly, but any double rifle, no matter how new, is still 18th century technology, and is not the place to try for moon shot velocity! The 9.3X74R is a fine cartridge as a factory round, and does not need boosting for hunting purposes, especially in a double rifle! Simply learn where to hold at the range you want to shoot,choose between soft or solid for the target you are shooting at, and let the rifle do the rest. I don't think you will be disapointed!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
The 9.3x74R is always looked upon as a twin of the 9.3x62.
Normal loads with 246 gr bullets at 2470 f/s. The N540 will allow 2590 f/s.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume your shooting that in a double rifle ( due to the rim) in which case you definately do not want to use Norberts load at 2400 plus as the gun will shoot off the face with a couple of shots...

The action is regulated for and designed for about 2000 to 2100 FPS...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
For the 246 gr bullets all modern doubles are regulated and the factory ammunition is announced at 2460 f/s.

------------------

posted Hide Post
In the Vamlet / Tikka over & under rifle we are shooting 286 grainers at 2300+ fps with no problems.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norbert:
For the 246 gr bullets all modern doubles are regulated and the factory ammunition is announced at 2460 f/s.

Norbert, all the double rifles chambered for 9.3x74R that I have owned, or seen have been regulated at 100 mtrs with the 286 gr bullet not a 246 gr. The .366 dia, 286 gr soft or solid is "THE" common bullet for the 9.3x74R, and is the only weight offered by most bullet makers,and loads for this bullet weight are all that is offered in most loading books. Speer only has one .366 bullet, but it is 270 grs, and their max speed with that bullet is 2379 fps, with max load of 58.0 grs of IMR 4064 The max speeds with the 286 gr bullet run in the 2300fps MAX! I just happen to own a BRAND NEW Merkel 14E 9.3x74R double rifle that was regulated by the factory with 286 gr RWS ammo@ 100 mtrs. I don't think the average load being in the 2300, to 2350 fps, with a 286 gr bullet, that there is much danger of shooting off face as long as that is not exceded, as this is the speed of the average factory ammo!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>

one of us
posted Hide Post
We recently ran some over the Chronograph and the averaged 2230 with a 286 gr. bullet and thats what I was going by...

I suspect that sooner or later you will have troubles with thoes doubles shooting off the face..They are a tender action...I just refuse to push them to the limit..cost like hell to fix'm. I suspect the Merkel will handle it better, maybe...but Butch S. says some of them are now shooting off the face.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Could be Ray, I surely hope not, because this is a sweet handleing little rifle. The fact is that a double rifle no matter who makes it, it should be loaded conservatively.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>

<Norbert>
posted
MacD37,
you are right. I mixed up something. The modern doubles are regulated for 286 gr at 2280 f/s. (Not 2000 - 2100). Factory ammunition with the also very popular 246 gr are at 2460 f/s.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Norbert (edited 06-21-2001).]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What does it mean for a double to be 'shooting off the face'?

I assume it is not related to shooting off my mouth.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Loosening of the action so that there is wobble or play when testing the rigidity of the lock up of barrel breech on the face.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
Back in 70ys DWM had som hefty loads with 293grain bullets(tug or tig don't remember) at 750 or 730 m/s( i don't recall exactly) and if the factory can load this round so well,then i am sure it is possible to load the 9,3x74 at least to the same level,because normaly the factories are always keeping the pressure in the safe side.the 9,3x74 is a very nice round sadly neglected by hunters.
br
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
TIG and TUG loads in catalogues were unrealistic high. Only for advertising.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of thoes 9.3 doubles are over/unders and they do not shoot off the face quite as quick as a side by side will, They take a little more pressure.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com