THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    That Time Of Year When Walter Gets Upset!

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That Time Of Year When Walter Gets Upset!
 Login/Join

Administrator
posted

Walter came in yesterday with two friends, while I was loading some ammo for our safari in Tanzania in about 6 weeks time.

The friends he brought know nothing about shooting.

Walter "Ah, I see you are making my hunting ammo. Make sure you don't mess things up as usual. I want to do lots of hunting this year"

Me "Keep on dreaming. If you manage to shoot a couple of animals you should be so lucky"

The two visitors started laughing.

Walter "Can I take my Blaser this year?"
Me "No. I told you a million times, that contraption is not going to Tanzania"

Walter "Why don't you like my rifle? You saw how many animals I killed with one shot each in South Africa"

Me "Sure, while sitting on top of the truck and the animals are 50 yards away. No one can miss at that distance."

Walter "I don't miss. It is your doctored ammo that is no good" Turning to our visitors, he continued "Saeed made his own rifle. He also made his own cartridge, and his own bullets. They are no better than you can buy. He is crazy. And crazy people do crazy things"

Me "Yep, they have crazy frinds too"

Walter "Where are the targets?"
Me "What targets?"
Walter "The targets you shot"
Me "What targets are you talking about?"

Walter "The targets you shot with THIS ammo you are making. You shoot them every year when you make them. You said to make sure the rifles sights have not changed!"

Me "I haven't shot them yet. Would you like to do the honors this year and you do the shooting?"

Walter"Bloody hell, no! I am not shooting that rifle from the bench. It kicks too much. And it will make me flinch when I go hunting. You shoot it. Are you loading the same ammo as last year?"

Me "Yes, same as last year, same as the year before, same as the year before that too. Boring ha?"

Walter "Yes, You are very boring. You should take your 600 NE for a change. And let me take my Blaser. Just in case your rifle does not work so well"

I fired the first shot. It his just above the center red circle of the target.

Walter "You are doing better this year. You almost hit the bullseye. Just touching from above"

I fired the second shot, which landed just above the first.

Walter "Oh shit! It is getting worse. You shot too high. You have to lower the scope by 2 clicks.

I ignored him. Our visitors are totally engrossed in this one sided conversation!

I fired the third shot. It cut the first shot.

Walter "You see what I mean? I told you, we should take another rifle to try this year. This gun shoots no better than it did last year. Leave it here, and try another one"

Me "It is good enough for me, and I bet it will be good enough for everyone else who hunts with it. Do you want to shoot a few rounds for practice? You can shoot off the tripod while standing if you don't want to shoot off the bench"

Walter "No, I will shoot off the bench. And I want to show my friends here how to shoot too. And as they have never shot a gun before. We will use a nice little rifle to shoot"

He picked an Anschutz 22 target rifle, and spent the next two hours teaching his friends how to shoot.

I think he suceeded in converting two non shooters to becoming hooked on shooting.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
what distance do you sight that rifle? Is it some sort of .375 hybrid? beer

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudos to Walter for teaching 2 people how to shoot.

Let him take his Blaser to Africa...

However I do recommend YOU sight it in.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
Saeed,

It is a 375/404. The bullets are our own Walterhog. 300 grains, copper with a hollo point, turned on a lathe.

The load is 88 grains of H4350, Federal 215 primers, and the velocity was 2801 fps.

This target was shot at 100 yards, and I normally leave it as it is sighted here.

For the longer shots, I make allowance and aim higher.

Posts: 68662 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by pichon1:
Saeed,

It is a 375/404. The bullets are our own Walterhog. 300 grains, copper with a hollo point, turned on a lathe.

The load is 88 grains of H4350, Federal 215 primers, and the velocity was 2801 fps.

This target was shot at 100 yards, and I normally leave it as it is sighted here.

For the longer shots, I make allowance and aim higher.

May I have details on the rifle and optics?

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
The rifle is built on a akota 76 action, it has a Dan Lilja barrel, finished at 26 inches. Stock is an MPI, and I used brass bedding blocks and titanium bedding compound.

The scope is a Leupold 2.5-8, in Dakota mounts.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The rifle is built on a akota 76 action, it has a Dan Lilja barrel, finished at 26 inches. Stock is an MPI, and I used brass bedding blocks and titanium bedding compound.

The scope is a Leupold 2.5-8, in Dakota mounts.

Merci beaucoup.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good shooting ...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I think Walter is right. You wouldn't want to miss a buffalo, would you? After all, they are not that big. Kind of like prairie dogs, aren't they? Big Grin

Yes. Walter is definitely right. Dial in two clicks down - and then for good measure add one click right. Cool

Nice shooting.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13619 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed ----- Groups like that are the reason we do what we do. Congrats on good technique with the loading and shooting. It is amazing how one day the one holers come easy and the next one cannot be bought. No matter how good the reloads are the shooter still has to do his part. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

What ever became of Walter Jeckyl's compressed air rifle? The one he was going to construct using scuba tanks? Did Aquaman succeed in his quest?

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,

Where will you hunt in Tanzania this year?

Best of Luck!

Hugh

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
As usually happens with Walter's projects, that one got sidetracked thank goodness!

I am sure he will come up with some more hair brained ideas before long.

We are hunting in the Moyowosi area this year.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best of luck, I was curious about what you were shooting.

Posts: 527 | Location: New Orleans,La. | Registered: 27 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
You know, the more I read about Walter, the more I like him!

LMAO! If only we could all, ummm, Tolerate friends like that! Big Grin

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
If any of you have seen Mr. Beans, Walter is about 10 times worse!

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
It's that time of the year. . . . . . dancing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If any of you have seen Mr. Beans, Walter is about 10 times worse!

HAHA! I still remember the one video of Walter sitting in the vehicle, his arms are crossed and he looks miserable. He then turns to you and says: "So now I am of some use?"
Priceless!! animal

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed,
88 grains of H4350 with 300-grainer is my magic load in the .375 Weatherby.
Gives same ballistics as your .375/404, but your pressures are lower.

I am gratified to hear that you succeeded so well in rebuilding the MPI stock internally with brass, titanium, and epoxy, and it is still shooting well after all these years.
Good hunting!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
RIP,

This particular MPI stock wasn't so bad to start with, so the job wasn't that difficult.

I just wanted some more solid to anchor the action to the stock on than plain fiber glass.

It is actually amazing that this rifle still shoot so well.

As you have seen on our hunting videos, it gets shot by the camp staff at the end of our hunt.

The barrel gets so hot we actually cool it with a towel dripping with water!

Last year we had one of the camp staf shoot a group almost as good as the one you see above.