THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Moon Phase - Best Time to Hunt in South Africa?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moon Phase - Best Time to Hunt in South Africa?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
There is an amazing amount of African experience on this forum and I was hoping that I could get some help with a question. I won a safari in South Africa for 2 hunters and 2 non-hunters at a recent SCI local fundraising auction. I will be taking my 11 year old son on this, his first trip to Africa, in the summer of 2010.

The owner of the safari company informed me as follows: "The hunting is the best over the full moon period with full moon being on the 10th of August 2010."

I have hunted my entire life, including three previous safaris to RSA. I have never heard that the general hunting is best over a full moon period. In fact, my experience hunting predators in the U.S. is that a full moon is the worst thing possible for night hunting. I always hunt predators at night in RSA and that is part of the plan for this trip.

My concern is that the safri co could be directing me towards a date that he just needs to fill because I purchased a donated hunt that will not be bringing him any profit. I have no reason to accuse him of that - I have met the PH/owner and he seems like a good guy. I just want to be careful, since I will be taking my 11 year old son on his first trip to Africa and want to make his experience a good one.

With all that said, can anyone help me on the full moon issue with respect to both plains game and night hunting for predators? The region of RSA is Limpopo. I would rather not identify the safari co for fear of wrongfully damaging the reputation of a good PH. - Thanks

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my three trips to Africa I have not noticed any difference in the hunting no matter what the moon phase is. It could very well have a impact on night hunting for predators but I lack the necesary experience.

Good Hunting,

Posts: 3143 | Location: Duluth, GA | Registered: 30 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've never noticed a difference including night predators

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Your outfitter is really speaking the truth if you intend to hunt bushpigs without an artificial light. Then full moon is by far the best period.

Conventional wisdom, and my limited experience, indicates that for plains game that were not recently released as a Put&Take trophy, hunting success is higher, even if only slightly higher, over the New Moon period.

This could make an very interesting poll question?

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new moon/ dark of the moon would always be my choice.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
I prefer the dark of the moon for any hunting in Africa, period.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi,

Check out this link, you'll find lot of informations about hunting in South Africa : http://www.africahunting.com/m...e=viewarticle&id=106

One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
I have a hunt booked in SA in early July. Picked these dates with a Full Moon in mind for Bush Pigs. With the exception of night hunting I doubt the moon phase makes any difference in SA???

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I have called jackal for a long time in South Africa as a hobby.

I have called them in time and again in full moon on the high veld and killed them.

When I walk out to pick them up I can see the pick up clearly in the moonlight at 120 yards. I think best night was 9 jackal.

When it come to plains game they tend to move more during full moon at night and not move so much during the day.

That said if you do hunt the full moon period I doubt that you will have any problems. Your PH will know the area and where to find the game.

I am sure your son will have an awesome time on his 1st trip to Africa. Does not matter if its full moon or not. Going hunting with Dad is always special... if we kill something or not does not matter...

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can''t imagine a bad trip to hunt in africa that doesn't involve injury.

Your son's first african safari will almost certainly be your best hunt ever and hopefully for him as well. The opportunity to accomplish this on someone elses dime is outrageouslly good fortune.

The full moon is not a good time to hunt leopard but plains game should be no problem. I've seen jackel regularly no matter what phase the moon was in. Having said that, my preference to hunt anything, anywhere, is dark of the moon. This is, however, a free!!!! hunt, give the guy a few bucks and upgrade to your favorite moon phase. What a glorious opportunity enjoy!

Posts: 414 | Location: Tennille, Ga | Registered: 29 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
I agree - if leopard is not part of the equation, I can't see the moon having that much impact.

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I find hunting Leopard around the full moon to be very productive. They still get hungry and still have to eat, and as long as you put a good thick roof on the blind, (always worth doing anyway)I've never found it to be a problem at all........ in fact, in some ways, it's more convenient as they tend to come to bait earlier before the moon gets too high.

One of Us
Picture of David Hulme
posted Hide Post
Steve,

We must have either different leopards or different moons!

I actually think the moon affects every living thing, to a greater or lesser extent. Look at fish and werewolves for example. One thing I do know for certain is that my PH buddies whine like hell about the moon on a leopard hunt. They also try and fit in a dark period on a leopard hunt.

Hope you are doing well on your migratory cycle Shakari

Dave

Posts: 2270 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 28 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all of you for the helpful replies. I have monitored this site for years and finally registered. I must note that the hunt is not free. I purchased it during an auction fundraiser. The price was really good, however.

My son (now 10) is very excited about going to Africa for his first trip. He has seen the photos of my three previous trips and enjoys asking questions about all of the trophies at home. He is a great shot and can't wait for me to complete work on my late father's small Browning Safari in .308 that I am in the process of restoring for him. I am the only one more excited than he is.

Posts: 129 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 15 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Dave,

I reckon that close to half of my Leopards have been taken close to or on the full moon....... but as I say, I'm absolutely convinced the answer is to make sure the roof cuts out all moon and starlight. Get that right, no matter what the moon phase and you increase your chances of success dramatically. I usually put a layer of grass on, then some sacking (etc) and then more grass.

I appreciate what you say about how the moon can affect all animals, but I tend to think a lot depends on the individual area. Those areas with heavy predator pressure seem to show more behavioural differences than those with little or no predator pressure.

It also seems to me that the ones that are most affected by the moon are the fish. Don't know about the werewolves, I divorced her before I got a chance to notice.

As for my migratory cycle, if things don't slow down a bit here at home, my personal migratory cycle might have to be curtailed and I'll have to change my signature line! Wink It'd help if some kind soul would do me a favour and invent a 48 hour day! rotflmo