Find
Notify
Tools

New Lokisale Camp and big buff
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Folks,

With all the recent discussion on Lokisale area and camp I thought you might like to see what people were really talking about. Also I had to throw in Bill Pritchards beautiful buff one of two he dropped within 20 feet of each other.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark;

Hey that camp looks fantastic. Is it a permanent camp????? Plus the old buff isn't bad either!!

Regards, D. Nelson

one of us
Picture of Anders
posted Hide Post
Wow! A good-lookin` buff according to my unexperienced eyes. Just the kind of shape and width I like.. Smiler
Thanks for shearing Mark!

Anders

Hunting and fishing DVDs from Mossing & Stubberud Media: www.jaktogfiskedvd.no

..and my blog at: http://andersmossing.blogspot.com

Posts: 1959 | Location: Norway | Registered: 19 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SWAMBO

It is a permanent camp. I'll send you some more pics. We maintain a year round presence to hold poachning in check.

Bill's buffalo is a dandy but I think it is only one of 5 of that caliber taken so far.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

Posts: 12917 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
now that's an old buff with some "experience" showing on his face (and boss).

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
That is a great looking camp Mark. Out of curiosity, if you know, can one buy those "safari chairs" in the States? Would look really cool in the trophy room...

I may have missed the spec's on the buff...how big? When was it shot? Out of Lokisale?

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill C:
can one buy those "safari chairs" in the States? Would look really cool in the trophy room...

Try AFRICA COLONIAL TRADING CO..

Seems there was another one at the DSC, maybe I can find their card.

Prices can be Eeker

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BillC...try the Safari Trackers web-site as Adam's wife runs an import business for all things African.

For those of you who don't know what he looks like, the PH in the pic with the buff is Adam.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
You can certainly recognize an OLD buff when you see one and that is definitely an OLD boy! Notice how his boss is even wearing down and off as well as parts of his horns. That is a great trophy! And look at the loss of hair on his face and especially on his body.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark ----- I must have missed the discussion, where is Lokisale. wave Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great camp!

Would you guys be willing to do my house with that nice stone as well? Wink

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
phurley

Lokisale is in Masailand and this particular camp is Tanzania Bundu Safaris permanent camp there and only about 2 hours drive from Arusha.

I bet with enough jingle in your pocket anything is possible including importing the stone masons. They did do a nice job.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Mark,
I think that it should be pointed out that Bill took his buff not at Lokisale, but at Lobo Sarai(sp) which is about three hours away from Lokisale. Which is not to say that Lokisale does not have nice buff. This is my son's taken at Lokisale:

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Never said Bill's buff was taken at Lokisale. I thought it might interest people since the guy is in his 80's and is still killing big stuff on a regular basis. Actually you are right about the camps being hours apart but what really counts is the almost continuous western border with Tanangire that these areas enjoy. Where Lobo and Lokisale adjoin the Tarangire border there is only a break of a matter of yards between the southern boundary of Lokisale and the northern boundary of Lobo or more properly Loibor Serrit.

Seems you guys killed a 45" buffalo from the Lokisale camp and others in that range have been shot since in both Lokisale and Lobo. Congratulations again. HughW just shot a magnificent 44" with us which I hope he will post a picture of soon.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
young immature buffalo the 2nd one. sofa

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great camp, and nice Buff. Thanks for the Pics, how's the plains game in these areas?

Maineguide

Posts: 75 | Location: Dover NH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maineguide

With the exception of Thompson's gazelle and gerenuk the rest of the unique East African Masailand species are present in good numbers with oryx, lesser kudu, East African greater kudu, Coke's hartebeest, Grant's gazelle being very good.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
Picture of Prewar70
posted Hide Post
Mark,

Maybe it's just me and if so, I am big enough to admit when I'm wrong. But when you are showing pictures of the camp at Lokisale and include the picture of the buff, I think it's natural that people are going to assume it was taken there. Now if it had been a picture of a Dall sheep that your buddy just killed, one could see that it was included as a point of interest only. I think it should have been pointed out where the buffalo was taken, then Steve's post would have been avoided, and no explanation would have been needed. Like I said, maybe it's just me....

Posts: 894 | Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota | Registered: 13 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prewar

First let me say your absolutely right. I should have considered folks would make the assumption the buffalo was shot in Lokisale. The reality is that buffalo of the quality of Bill's are found in both Lobo and Lokisale but Bill's was shot in Lobo. When I have some buff pics from Lokisale I'll post them. Actually I'll post some more pics today.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,
I clearly don't have your experience in judging these matters; however, having seen the boiled skull of this one, let me say that he was not young or immature. Would he have gotten better with age? Maybe, because he was at the age where improvement to the bosses would come at the loss of length in the horns. Unlike the picture you commented on in another thread, there is no hair associated with my son's buff, and the boss was hard. Bill's buff is an example of a buff with very good bosses, but you can tell from the thickness at the points, the horn length has been worn from its max. You have reason to duck behind the sofa! Wink Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kudude,

Congratulations on your recent hunt at Lolkisale. I got to see the pictures in camp. I believe that was your lion. Nice! I got to spend one night at Lolkisale on my way out following nine nights at Lobo. It was nice to compare and contrast the camps. I think the clients quarters at Lolkisale have a slight edge on those at Lobo. But the lodge and fire pit and view for Lobo has it all over the Lolkisale camp. By the way, Brian agreed with the post that someone placed earlier about the Lolkisale camp starting to be a little over done "like a put-put golf course". He called Adam while I was there. Adam authorized the removal of about half of the posts and alot of the rope and white washed rocks. A huge improvement. Good to see that kind of responsiveness from an outfitter.

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dear Hugh,
Lokisale without the lights should be extremely nice. I think that a "curtain" of grass like they have at Lobo around the firepit area would make the fire at night even nicer, with room and the bottom and top to let the prevailing breeze take away the smoke. I gotta say if the view is nicer at Lobo, they got a real nice view! (That is after they moved the drilling machine!) I hope your trip and hunt were as nice as mine. We have got to get together, Spring, you and I. We can't be all that far apart, and all in Tanz this year. Send me a pm. Kudude

One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Steve, done and done. As Hugh mentioned we have taken off all the ropes in Lolkisale and changed the poles. Just poles with lights on now that are closer to the ground. Have also re-done the fireplace already with no ropes and have put grass around just like the Lobo camp. So, that should make you happy now.

Wish I had time for more chat, but too busy and off to Tanzania again.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us Mark.
Nice looking camp - how far from Central Park ?
Seriously, taste obviously varies and all or most women find their lover.
If it matters ,I dont appreciate a luxurious camp much,too much also takes away the proper wilderness atmosphere.
Now ,as I said,thats just me,but I thought to share my sentiment as I believe I will not be the only one.
NOW, looking at that fantastic bull, shot in a neighboring camp, what a beaut,nice picture and character.How many bulls do we have to turn down to meet him? Smiler
Its very hard to look at all these fantastic pictures of buffs and stay realistic with ones own expectations.

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kudude,
Happy to read your civilised response Wink

While "ducking" behind the sofa sofa Big Grin let me add that your sons' buffalo will end up with a soft boss after boiling and drying and once all the "fatty" tissue underneath the boss has been removed. I don't say it is a young bull but one that would have been outstanding in 2-3 years! While age does "grind" away at the tips of the horns, it doesn't necessarily affect the "spread" much. That is one of the errors I find on the SCI method of scoring buffalo in that it promotes the shooting of younger specimens thumbdown

While Bills bull is much older and a great trophy, i doubt it goes more than 38" spread. Still, IMO (No offense intended) it is a much more preferred trophy to your sons'. To each his own of course.... beer

"...Them, they were Giants!"
J.A. Hunter describing the early explorers and settlers of East Africa

hunting is not about the killing but about the chase of the hunt.... Ortega Y Gasset

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry Bwanamich but you are mistaken.

Bill's bull was a 44" bull. The best one taken for shear spread alone this year at Lobo + Lolkisale. If you look at the picture you see that typical huge (broad) face that Lobo is famous for. My bull had a more usual face (narrower than Bill's). Everyone that saw my bull when I shot it thought I had killed a 46-47" bull. We were stunned that it only taped 43", but then made the realization that the facial (skull) width can be the determining factor that carries your trophy from very good to great in terms of measurements. That said I still am extremely proud of my bull and if could have a choice between mine and his to shoot over again, I would still choose mine.

Posts: 435 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Adam Clements
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich, you better stay behind that couch as you are wrong with your trophy judgment. That buffalo of Bills when we shot it measured 44 3/4 and probably managed to shrink down to 44" at the most! It was one of the biggest bodied buffalo I had ever taken and thus I guess why it throws you off on your judgment.

adam@safaritrackers.com
www.safaritrackers.com
210-698-0077

Posts: 473 | Location: San Antonio, Texas & Tanzania | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam,
I've finally gotten around to spending free time bouncing around the AR forums. It's more fun than TV. I'm a little bit surprised at the ongoing "critques" of camps, water or not water, soft boss, ground shrinkage, ropes for dopes. If I were you, I'd be glad to get back to Tanz and kill sumpthin. Mark sent pictures of Lobo on Thursday and turned my crank right from the git-go. My partner and I will be over there in December 2006 and just like Cindy Lauper says, "I just wanna have fu-un." As long as I do my part and take Mbogo fair and square I plan to be happy as clam. If I start whining about ground shrinkage and he ain't big enough you have my permission send me out in the dark away from camp for the night. I had to spend 9 days in a northern Montana blizzard without a shower. My God! It's a wonder I survived. Fortuneately we had excessive amounts of Mr. Boston's peppermint schnapps. Good luck on your next hunt.

Posts: 442 | Location: Montana territory | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheephunter

If a client prefers to have things a little more rustic we can easily provide that. You will find both Lobo and Lokisale will each have 2 camps. One camp will be the "Luxury camp" and the other will a fly camp at the other end of the concession with bucket showers, open air dining and just not the resort feel of the main camp but still very comfortable.

Regards,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
Adam....you know I think the world of you and Brian .....but you are killing me with the pics of the buffalo you fellows are shooting.....and my wife is going to kill me for this shame but can you or Mark send me a PM with some specifics on a 10-day buff & plainsgame in Masailand for 2006.....Buff, Grant's, EA Impala, etc. thumb

Anyone need to buy a kidney?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

I'll e-mail you ASAP.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
Office 702-848-1693
E-mail markttc@msn.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bwanamich,
I would not disagree with you about criteria for measuring. In the field, one must aways assess the merit of passing a particular animal as a trophy as opposed to letting him live and improve. If one were in a position to be there every year, adherence to a "give him another year" policy might be easier; however, for most of us, that is not a posibility and the fellow who is there next week or month isn't either. We passed up a 50"buffalo because his bosses were not fully formed. It will be interesting to see if his picture shows up here over the next couple of months. Kudude

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh W:
Sorry Bwanamich but you are mistaken.

If you look at the picture you see that typical huge (broad) face that Lobo is famous for. My bull had a more usual face (narrower than Bill's). Everyone that saw my bull when I shot it thought I had killed a 46-47" bull. We were stunned that it only taped 43", but then made the realization that the facial (skull) width can be the determining factor that carries your trophy from very good to great in terms of measurements.

Hugh is spot on in his explanation. This picture is not the best, because the larger skull is in the foreground, but it shows the "regular" and "supersized" skulls evident in that area. Both of these buffalo had ears hanging to about the middle of the horn drop, but one taped 41" and the other 45". The difference in body size and skull size is so dramatic it makes trophy assessment deceiving.

Hugh and Adam, both of those bulls are terrific, with that first one of Bill's being one of the most striking set of horns I've ever seen. He's got it all - in spades.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mark/Adam,
Could you please e-mail me details for a 10 day Buff/PG hunt in Masailand?
I like the sound of the fly camps.
Jezz

Posts: 15 | Location: Cambridge,Uk. | Registered: 01 March 2005Reply With Quote