Find
Notify
Tools

Elephants for tea?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bahati
posted
A friend sent me this interesting article ...

There is a regular occurrence at the Mfuwe Lodge in the South Luangwa National Park in Zambia where the lodge was unwittingly built on the Elephant's traditional path through to some wild mango trees on the property.

A herd of a dozen or so elephants walk through the lodge's reception area at least twice a day for about 4 weeks and then sporadically for about another 3 weeks to feed on the trees.

The food and beverage are obviously good and occasionally they have enquired about accomodation. No untoward incidents reported to date!

Johan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Johan,

Those are great pics. I guess in the last pic they are choosing their room. The amount of ele's in the Mfuwe area and up along the Luangwa is incredible.

Nice,

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures and thanks for posting them - but I hope the staff and guests know to be be ultra cautious. It was a very similar scenario to that that got the late Kay Hiscocks killed a few years ago.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Shakari! All you need is one quest who thinks they have a selective "oneness" with the animal world to step forth and try to pet one of those guys. And then all hell breaks loose. Would make headlines for sure Eeker

Dak

Posts: 495 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great pics but I also believe it a matter of time before "cute" turns to disaster! Reminds me of the tourists in NA that just have to get close to (pet?) the bull elk, moose or bear and have things go to hell. These are wild animals not pets, "adorable" or not!

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pics, but I agree with some of the above posters, looks like an accident waiting to happen. I don't suppose you can just ask them nicely to leave? Eeker

Posts: 1224 | Location: Western Australia | Registered: 31 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
That picture is too cool.. But look out if one gets between mother and baby...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those are awsome pictures, and that is a unique situation. I would love to see it first hand...

Holding my loaded 450 No2, of course, because as other posters have pointed out, IF they decide to misbehave people could be killed, many people.

On my last Safari there was a few nights when the elephants tried to get into my pajamas Eeker shocker

They were friendly and all was well...

But as with ANY animal, their mood can change.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 No2,

Groucho would be pleased! Pics? jumping

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Too cute.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19362 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Hope those cows don't look for a honey moon rooms and turn up next week with their boyfriends - there should be some roofs flying Big Grin.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andrew McLaren
posted Hide Post
Fantastic pictures to save for when there is an official enquiry about a guest(s) being killed by elephants. An accident due to happen someday!

In good hunting.

Andrew McLaren

Posts: 1799 | Location: Soutpan, Free State, South Africa | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sort of reminds me of that old movie"Elephant Walk"

Posts: 1138 | Location: St. Thomas, VI | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are 3 german college students, (girls) one doing research on leopard one on servals and one on rodents living very near there. They rely on sport hunters for donated baits for their research. Whilst I was on Safari last month in the luangwa. One gals (Rebecca) car was kabob'd by a jumbo, she had a Zawa scout on the top with a locating antenna. The scout inside the car shot his AK through the top of the car just missing both a car occupant and the guy on top. Everbody but the back of the car came out unhurt. Garby was there at the same time and heard the stroy first hand as did I. She learned that day about these "camp" jumbos.

Posts: 376 | Location: Phoenix AZ | Registered: 21 September 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MARK H. YOUNG:
Johan,

The amount of ele's in the Mfuwe area and up along the Luangwa is incredible.

Nice,

Mark

That is true! The last time I hunted there, our camp was just across the Luangwa River from the South Luangwa Park, and just south of the Upper Lupande. The morning we were to leave for the Airport in Mfuwe, we had over 100 elephant cross the river into the park right through our camp. I had already packed my cameras, and by the time I could get my video camera out, they were already in the trees across the River.

The Valley has lots of game of all types, but the ele, and Buffalo are thick as fleas on a coyote!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MacD37, isn't it pretty amazing to have elephants walking through your camp!

The camp in these photos looks like an accident waiting to happen.

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Chick:
Sort of reminds me of that old movie"Elephant Walk"

+1

The eles won.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Great post and photos! Good solid evidence in the likely or unlikely event of trouble. . . I would not have wanted to have been the floor cleaning crew every dayBig Grin

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cjw:
MacD37, isn't it pretty amazing to have elephants walking through your camp!

The camp in these photos looks like an accident waiting to happen.

The elephants here are walking through the loby of the lodge in the South Luangwa Ntnl Park. That is scarry as hell, but the tree huggers who visit those parks think it is an extra service, for their picture taking.

My camp was a Hunting camp with several thatched huts, and a lappa on the river. They just walked right between my hut, and the lappa but that was close enough, seeing they had several very young calves with their mothers, and my rifles already locked in my gun cases! shocker

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
I wonder what will happen when a flash is used when taking photos inside the lobby?

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote