Find
Notify
Tools

Booking Zim for 2006
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted
I'm starting to do the research for booking my first safari and have narrowed it down to either Namibia or Zimbabwe. Given how fast the political situation seems to be changing, how much of a risk would I be taking booking a hunt for 2006 in Zimbabwe now. Anyone have any thoughts?

Pete

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of ZIM (been there in 2003 and headed back this season), but it is impossible to predict the future of ZIM. It could be fine in 2006 or it could be having real problems. No way to know for certain.

I assume your are going on a plains game only safari. The opportunities for plains game have become more limited in ZIM since many of the game ranches were taken over by "war vets". Probably your best bet for plains game is on HHK's Lemco ranch and on one of the concessions in the Save Valley Conservancy.

Regards,

Terry

Msasi haogopi mwiba [A hunter is not afraid of thorns]

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
I would suggest that you use an agent and escrow your funds in the U.S. just in case something does go wrong. I hunted Zim in 2004 with Barrie Duckworth's Mokore safaris, he still owns his place in The Save Conservancy and it has been very stable. There is a lot of plains game available and very nice camps. E-mail me if you want any additional information.

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For years people have been predicting that the sky will fall in Zim, but it has not happened yet.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Widowmaker416
posted Hide Post
I have hunted Zim for the past 6 years and I'm booked again in 2005 and planning 2006 already.

I agree with Terry, you don't know what's going to happen in the next few years, but I'm hoping for the best... I'm going hunting!!!! Period!!!!!

"America's Meat - - - SPAM"

As always, Good Hunting!!!

Widowmaker416

Posts: 1782 | Location: New Jersey USA | Registered: 12 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice guys.

This brings up another question. I'm going back and forth between deciding whether to do plains game only hunt (Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok)or plains game and leopard. From what I've read here and other places, it seems that if I want to do leopard, I should probably book Zimbabwe, but for plains game only, Namibia would have just as good of hunting in a more stable country (but behind a game fence). Any thoughts?

Posts: 810 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you got it right, depends on what you want out of the trip.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Book with a good company and your chanches of having a problem are reduced.
I have booked for 2006 and just today committed for a hunt in 2007.
You should book early so the animals you want on quota will be available.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CFA
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind the fences then hunt Namibia, if you want a taste of a wilder Africa hunt Zim. I never saw a fence in Zim, and did not want to, even in the Save Conservancy.

My recommendation would be to focus on plains game for your first trip and soak up Africa after that you will be dead meat and planning your next trip and many more. I for one said to myself "self we will just take a trip to Africa to see what it is all about, it will probably be the only time we will go" WRONG!

CFA

CFA

*If you are not hunting in Africa you are planning to hunt in Africa*

Posts: 465 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Talentrec,

Zimbabwe has areas where the hunting is great and outfitters who are top notch even with the political situation.
Namibia also has great wilderness areas where you can hunt in addition to the game ranches.

If I may suggest, first decide what species in order of preference you would like to hunt and then decide on which country would best suit your requirements.

Posts: 181 | Location: Windhoek Namibia | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why people talk about hunting behind fences in Namibia!!

Been there last year and let me tell you I not saw a single game fence near Kamanjab area. Big land with mountains, kopjes, and thick bushes.

Plenty of plains game and big leopards tracks.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Namibia has both fenced and unfenced hunting areas. It very much depends on whether the farm owner has decided to stock his land with species that don't naturally occur in that area. Another great option for hunting Namibia for PG are the conservacies that spring up around the place.

Needless to say, the top of the line in Namibia are the areas up north - such as Caprivi - that also have DG.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If cost is a consideration Namibia is the place for first timer plains game hunters. You can hunt premium concessions with great outfitters for far less money.

HHK's Zimm. hunts start at $400 a day + $800-$1200 for air charters. Actual daily cost around $500-$600. Trophy fees are also higher. The worst example is Gemsbok at $2500 US

Robert Johnson

Posts: 599 | Location: Soldotna Alaska | Registered: 05 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
I'm probably gonna get some flack for this, but I think that anyone who books a Zim hunt should at least do so at short notice. To book a year or more in advance is (IMO) a considerable risk. If you are going to do it then you need to book with a well established operation such as Roger Whittal or HHK etc.......but it is pretty much the cheapest hunting in Africa at the moment, so maybe one thing is offset against the other.

BUT if I were in your position I would not part with a penny until I'd seen the outcome of the forthcoming elections......and even then I'd wait a bit to see how things pan out immediatly afterwards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I never saw a game fence in Namibia either, except along the highway outside of Windhoeck. Fences were worse than our cattle fences, they won't hold deer or elk here, nor game in Namibia.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote