THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Any custom boot makers other than Russells?

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any custom boot makers other than Russells?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Due to the shape of my feet, factory boots never seem to fit well. So, after reading early comments on the Russells, I was preparing to order a pair. Now, after the last few negative comments, I'm hesitant to proceed with the Russells. I've had a couple of less than satisfactory experiences with 'mail order' clothing in the past and, consequently, feel generally apprehensive towards clothing I can't try on for fit BEFORE I pay for them.

Can anyone recommend any other custom boot makers I could research? A makers with a sterling reputation?

Bobby B.

Posts: 323 | Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that you can find someone to make negative comments about anyone and any thing, but the reality is that Russell's makes some of the finest hunting boots in thw world and have a sterling reputation for customer service to boot. You'd be hard pressed to find any safari boot worn by more PH's than Russell -- and these guys give boots the kind of workout that no amateur hunter will ever approach.

I am virtually certain that Russell's can make you happy and that in the unlikely event that they can't -- they will make it right for you financially. That's simply what they do -- they guarantee a proper fit and they mean it.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Courtney Boots in Bulawayo comes to mind.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You really can find folks with negative comments on anything. I personally love my Russell's - I have two pair bought at different times. Both could be worn immediately out of the box with no breaking-in period. They also went through two weeks of walking in water every single day. I would just alternate days so one could dry. I have never had the first problem with either pair. I know of PH's and hunters who swear by them and the only negatives I've heard have been here.

Good luck no matter what you decide!

Posts: 659 | Location: Texas | Registered: 28 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
I agree completely with the above comments. It seems that AR can always find someone who doesn't like something for some reason. In my experience Russell Boots are the greatest I've ever worn, and I've tried plenty over more than a dozen safari in Africa and hunts in NA and NZ. I even had a PH offer to buy my Mountain PH boots at the conclusion of one Mozambique safari.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
With boots, as with most things we discuss here, there is no one answer for everyone. For every boot that someone loves there is someone who would not take a pair for free.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OldHandgunHunter:
.. have a sterling reputation for customer service to boot.

5.6 on the unintentional punmeter.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
Wow you Russell backers really seem to believe in their product and service.

I only have on experience with Russells. I ordered a pair of Russell Imperials in 2003. I paid extra for the rush service as I needed them for a hunt. I had several family members measure my feet as I wanted the fit to be perfect the first time.

The boots arrived in time, but there were a few problems:

1) Too big. When laced-up the eyelets almost met in the middle.

2) Too heavy. Triple vamp and airbob sole were to blame.

3) Shoddy workmanship. The boots look lopsided and the "lopsidedness" of each boot does not match the other. I know that they are made by hand so maybe this is normal? Maybe some of you can comment on this.

4) Sole separation. After wearing to work one day the soles began to come off.(Word is that it was a bad batch of glue and has since been corrected)

So how did Russell handle this you ask? I have not given them the chance. This was by far the most expensive footwear I have ever purchased. When I get stung for nearly $400 it leaves a lingering taste in my mouth, and the truth is I have not been able to face my folly.

I did get remeasured at SCI in 2005 and I think I will write a letter and ship the boots back tomorrow. I hope that they will chuck my pair and start from scratch. I am going to give them the option of replacing them with one of their cheaper models. I would be happy to get anything usable of them at this point. Just thinking of the money I have sitting in an unusable pair of boots makes me sick.

I am hoping that they will be so ashamed when they see the boots that they sent me that they will replace them with a real nice pair. As 6 years have passed they may tell me to take a flying leap and I really would not be too shocked if they do.

Either way I will report back when I hear form them.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of larrys01
posted Hide Post
quote:

I drove to the factory and had my feet measured by the president of the company. After sending them back three times and still not fitting. That is not my idea of a sterling reputation for customer service. thumbdown

Posts: 1525 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 08 August 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I purchased a pair of Russell Sheep Hunters last year for an Elk Hunt in a remote area of Idaho. I ordered them later than I should have but Russells got them to me before the trip. Wore them in the mountains of Idaho for 8 days without breaking them in. They were and still are the most comfortable pair of boots I have ever worn. My right foot is larger than my left foot and have always just made do with off the shelf boots. Russell boots are the only brand I will buy from now on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 pair of Russells PH boots and one pair of their Toe Lace Sheep Hunters. I like them a lot.

The PH's are the quitest walking boots I have ever worn.

If you do not have time to sort out a pair of them try some Danner boots or some Vasques.

They have given me good service as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I dont own a pair of Russells, but a few observations on some of the naysayers.

quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Wow you Russell backers really seem to believe in their product and service.

I only have on experience with Russells. I ordered a pair of Russell Imperials in 2003. I paid extra for the rush service as I needed them for a hunt. I had several family members measure my feet as I wanted the fit to be perfect the first time.

The boots arrived in time, but there were a few problems:

1) Too big. When laced-up the eyelets almost met in the middle.

2) Too heavy. Triple vamp and airbob sole were to blame.

3) Shoddy workmanship. The boots look lopsided and the "lopsidedness" of each boot does not match the other. I know that they are made by hand so maybe this is normal? Maybe some of you can comment on this.

4) Sole separation. After wearing to work one day the soles began to come off.(Word is that it was a bad batch of glue and has since been corrected)

So how did Russell handle this you ask? I have not given them the chance. This was by far the most expensive footwear I have ever purchased. When I get stung for nearly $400 it leaves a lingering taste in my mouth, and the truth is I have not been able to face my folly.

I did get remeasured at SCI in 2005 and I think I will write a letter and ship the boots back tomorrow. I hope that they will chuck my pair and start from scratch. I am going to give them the option of replacing them with one of their cheaper models. I would be happy to get anything usable of them at this point. Just thinking of the money I have sitting in an unusable pair of boots makes me sick.

I am hoping that they will be so ashamed when they see the boots that they sent me that they will replace them with a real nice pair. As 6 years have passed they may tell me to take a flying leap and I really would not be too shocked if they do.

Either way I will report back when I hear form them.

Wow. You put them in the closet for six years? And never sent them back?

quote:
Originally posted by larrys01:

I drove to the factory and had my feet measured by the president of the company. After sending them back three times and still not fitting. That is not my idea of a sterling reputation for customer service. thumbdown

If I went to the trouble to drive to the factory, I would have the guys that actually MAKE the boot measure me, not the president. Reminds me of a story. An active duty general needed a chest tube inserted. A relatively simple procedure. The chief of the general surgery department, an O-6, was going to do it. Problem was that was a job done by the junior resident 99.9% of the time. The general was pretty bright and used to the 'white glove' treatment general officers get. He asked the colonel who normally did the chest tube insertions. He sheepishly said "the second year surgery residents". The general then wisely asked , " Well then, you better get one of them second year residents in here and hand him the knife."

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3099 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:

Wow. You put them in the closet for six years? And never sent them back?

I agree, but like I said it was a real disappointment all around. As I said the boot were: ulgy, ill fitting, heavy, and defective.

Also, I forgot to add, the threads were loose in a few areas.

I will send them back tomorrow. The truth is the boots looked to be more poorly made than the $19.95 Vietnam jungle boots that you order out of Solider of Fortune. That is no joke!

I dusted them off and took some photos today. After trying them on again I can say that everything I said is correct, but aside form the loose threads and seperating soles, these boots would last a lifetime. The materials are top notch. On my particular pair the execution was garbage.

I am going to quit whining and give Russell a chance to make it right. I know with the number of their satisfied customers who post here, sub-par boots like mine must not be the norm.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two pairs of Russells. My only problem is that I did not order the loop at the rear of one consequently it is not as easy to put on as I would like. Frankly that was my fault.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
First of all, let me say this: I had a very negative experience with Russell Boots. I for one, would not post something just to be negative, and I only think that it's fair and right for everyone to know the truth and to know about good and bad experiences with PH's, boot makers, gun makers, etc. etc. etc. With that being said, if I offended any of you loyal Russell Boot customers, get a life. I offer no apologies whatsoever. That's my experience and the facts are what they are.
Secondly, based upon a comment made on the other Russell Boot post, I sent yet another e-mail directly to Patty at Russell Boot yesterday afternoon and finally received a telephone conference from Ralph Fabricius, President of Russell Boot Co. this morning. We have agreed to send the Thula-Thulas back and they will re-make them. So, I am willing to give them a second chance. We'll see how this turns out and I will report back on it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My first pair of Russells fit great. Same pair next order have never fit correctly. Sent them back. Still don't fit right.
Sole was ground off on one side crooked and looks like I made this pair!.
First pair came unstitched on top and leaked. I sent them back to be sewn up. The sent me a bill for $10 and when I got them back there was not such thing as a simpe shine job or anything.
When I take wife's Beetle in for service it comes back with floor mats vacumed and a quikie wash job at no extra chg.
A little thread and a quikie shine would have made me feel much warmer and fuzzier.
Think I am done with Russell.

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of OldHandgunHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:

Unintentional??

You give me more credit than I deserve. I'm well known for bad puns and tasteless double entendres. But, at least I'm honest about my personal shortcomings.

When you get bored with life, start hunting dangerous game with a handgun.

Posts: 495 | Location: Florida | Registered: 17 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Might want to take a look at Gokey's boot line. They do offer a custom build for boots and are they better or worse than Russell, don't know. I have a pair that is similar to Russell's Upland hunter version and are some 8 plus years old and give good service. Believe Orvis sells them and perhaps you can buy direct??

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had several pair of Russell boots and shoes. Please keep in mind that I have very bad feet. Each one with different issues. Thats why you have custom made shoes. I finally put all but one pair in the charity box at church along with the custom pair from Ok City custom maker. My experience has been poor with all custom boot makers. I'm in the construction business and don't get paid until my customer is happy. Not the case with any of the shoe builders.

Darrell Ragar

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys, I have never heard of Russels befor this debate... I spent nearly all of my hunting time (incl. 5 safari games) with the Lowa trekking shoes. With no fuss I can recommend them without hesitation. The old Lowa pair I owned had last 10 years!!!
www.lowaboots.com

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kamo Gari:
quote:

Unintentional??

You give me more credit than I deserve. I'm well known for bad puns and tasteless double entendres. But, at least I'm honest about my personal shortcomings.

HA! OK, apology offered. I guess acted like a real heel...

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote