THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AFRICAN HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  African Big Game Hunting    Question about a Zimbabwe Taxidermy Company

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about a Zimbabwe Taxidermy Company
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cunningham
posted
I have a friend of mine here in my town who is making me some pedestals for my Taxidermy that will be ready in July. When I was in his shop a few days ago I saw several rifles and we began to talk about Africa and hunting. He is from Zim and also sometime in England, before moving here to the States.

My question is: He mentioned a Taxidermy company in Bulawayo. Is Taxidermy Enterprises still in business?

I told him I would try and find out. Any info would be appreciated.

Global Sportsmen Outfitters, LLC
Bob Cunningham
404-802-2500

Posts: 580 | Location: I am neither for you or against you. I am completely the opposite. | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
They are very much in business and have a current website. Although I've never had them do any work for me, I've seen their operation and results and I was impressed. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Taxidermyenterprises.com or email taxient@mweb.co.zw

Mike Bromwich and Roy Ludick run the show now.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yes they're still around, they had some problems a couple of years ago, but as i understand it they are all cleared up now

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cunningham,
Had all my Taxidermy work done by them. Took 11 months to get finished work back. Well worth the wait. They did a outstanding job on every mount. Photo's in Trophy Room section.GA Trophy Room. I visited the studio before I contracted them, prices were great. Besides the super work they did including tanning my Buff. backskin the packing and crating was perfect, no damage at all in shipping. Bobga

Posts: 201 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not consider using Taxidermy Enterprises again. I have said this before, the only reason you run from Taxidermy Enterprises is that you can't fly. I had a very long wait and poorly done mounts by them. When I inquired about the poor quality, they asked that I bring pictures to the SCI Convention so they could see what happened. I did so. They looked at the pictures and acknowleged that the work was poorly done. They gave me a lot of suggestions on how I could redo their work or take them to a taxidermist here in the United States. No mention about assisting with the cost or apology. Sort of "Oh well, shit happens." About the only work I would be able to do was to dye the lips of a waterbuck with a Magic Marker. I elected not to do anything. I took the mounts to Steve Moss in Texas and he fixed them up for me at somewhat considerable, but fair, cost. It would have been a lot more expensive if it had not been for Wendell Reich. He simply gave me a Cape Buffalo cape so that Steve could redo my Cape Buffalo. Maybe they have cleaned up their act, but I would see Taxidermy Enterprises in hell before I had them do any work for me.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had some mounts done by this company quite a few years back. I never saw any reason to go back for more services... Can't say how their current work is.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoot,
When did you have your work done by Taxidermy Enterprise(if I may ask)
Bobga

one of us
posted Hide Post
bobga,

I used them two times. The first in 1997 and the last time was either 1999 or 2001. I am pretty sure it was 1999.

Posts: 791 | Location: La Luz, New Mexico USA | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will not use Taxidermy Enterprises again. I hunted Zimbabwe November, 20004 and was told that I would receive my trophies in about 6 months. They did not arrive until early this March, 2006 and are still in customs.

Since I still do not have the trophies in my possesion, I cannot comment on the quality of their work.

I approached their representative at the SCI convention and received no apology or explanation. This may be an isolated case, but from hear-say at the convention it sounded like I was not alone.

If I go to Zim again, I plan to dip and pack and have all my work done here in the U.S.

Posts: 35 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I left an Oribi with Tax. Ent. in '95..Never got any satisfaction..Not recommended by this past customer.

Posts: 47 | Location: North Pole Alaska | Registered: 05 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hoot Murray,
I believe in 2003 Taxiderym Enterprise was acquired by more experinced management. I think the problems you had were taken care of. The quality of work was good. Again I am very satisfied with their work now.
bobga

one of us
posted Hide Post
bobga,

I am glad that your work was done well. I can tell your that it is one hell of a disappointment to spend the money it takes to go on safari and then wind up with poor taxidermy. I would not take a chance. Its better to have your work done in the United States. Far easier to deal with someone at home.