Find
Notify
Tools

458 win mag did the job
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
Just returned from a big game hunt in Zim. I had zero problems. Cant even remember anyone being rude!
I took both animals I was after and was very happy with the performance of my 458. Ill put together a more detailed report and a slide show later. Here are a photo or 2 to start. The elephant was a PAC cow and the buff was just what I wanted an old worn down Dagga boy.
I hunted with Kruger Human of Kudutrails of SA.
 -
 -

[ 09-25-2003, 21:33: Message edited by: tonto ]

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Rusty>
posted
Congrats on your hunts. thanks for sharing!

Rusty
We band of brothers!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto,

Sounds like it really did go just great! Congrats. Look forward to seeing more.

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gee, That went fast. Glad you're back safely and well pleased with your hunt. Looking forward to hearing more about it!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of T.Carr
posted Hide Post
Dean,

Congratulations, sounds like a great hunt.

Regards,

Terry

Posts: 5338 | Location: A Texan in the Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 02 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
Now THAT is a neat old dagga boy to be proud of; congratulations!

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I went hunting with Kruger Human of Kudu trails safaris. www.kudutrails.co.za he has worked out a deal for DG hunts with one of Zims biggests outfitters. He took care of everything after Joho airport. We flew into Vic falls and spent a night at Ultimate Africa lodge and safaris. it is run by Russell Caldecott. A finer host wont be found. He also a disabled hunter who does hunts for the disabled. It a nice place with great people and food.
 -

[ 09-25-2003, 21:47: Message edited by: tonto ]

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dean,

The picture of your buff is not loading for me.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
George Ive been getting them on and off all day think I might have it worked out.
We flew out on a charter flight in the morning. To the Monjola campfire area bordering the Chizarira national park. I stayed at camp Kabuba. The conditions were very dry and fires were burning in the area. kabuba was a nice camp under the trees near a river. We met the Zim PH who was to hunt with us. Peter Baker is a great guy very easy going and made sure not only did i hunt but I saw all the area had to offer.
I told pete and kruger that an old dogga boy was my wish and it was agreed that we wouldnt hunt herd bulls but dagga boys. We spent our time checking the small springs for tracks and following up good ones. The first few sets we followed were going back to the park after watering at night.
 -
 -

[ 09-22-2003, 01:17: Message edited by: tonto ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto,
The pics are working now. Great bull! Always good to hear of a successful safari, and of course the details to follow will be anxiously awaited. Thanks for sharing.
Cheers!

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Huffaker
posted Hide Post
Very nice old bull tonto. Sounds like you had a fantastic trip. I have done business with Kruger Human, he is a straight shooter all the way.

[ 09-22-2003, 01:39: Message edited by: Jerry Huffaker ]

Posts: 2007 | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Jerry
Kruger is one of those guys who likes to help out people. and hates it when someone in the buisness makes others look bad.
A few days into the hunt we tracked a herd of 50 or so animals so Kruger could take a cow for meat. We stalked into the herd and kruger dropped a cow. The herd only spooked 70 or so yards so Pete and kruger stalked in with me to get me some time up close to buffalo. After a while they herd headed off but not after I saw a few nice bulls.
 -

posted Hide Post
It's working fine now, Dean.

Great old bull, lots of character!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
We cut somes tracks of a huge dagga boy at a spring one morning we followed him up into the hills only to find he turned and headed into the park. On the way back to the truck we cut another smaller set of tracks. The trackers argued for awhile if they were worth following. It was decided to give them a try. We hit the tracks and after awhile we could see a bull with 2 cows heading up a ridge. After glassing the bull we could see he was a heavy worn old bull. It was the kind of bull I wanted so we took off to cut them off at the next ridge.
While sneaking along the ridge hoping to get to the top before they arrived we suddenly saw movement. When we stopped we found ourselves about 20 yards from the bedded bull. Pete asked if I could pop him between the eyes? But I could only see horns from where I was. The bull got up and start heading right at us. After a few more yards he stopped again broadside. But from my angle his chest was covered with trees. I held waiting for him to take another step. When he did he suddenly turned and started to bolt. Out of reflex I put one up his tail pipe! Well I was not real happy with that move. But he ran down hill about 70 yards and stopped again broadside. I took rest and made a nice double lung shot. He headed down hill again and I snapped off a lucky shot breaking his spine and dropping him in his tracks. Well I guess the lord does look out for fools because I had my bull. The first shot was a barnes xbullet wich I recovered and looks perfect the rest were solids which passed through.
the ridge he was taken on.
 -
 -  -

[ 09-22-2003, 03:59: Message edited by: tonto ]

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
tonto,

Truly a distinguished old gentleman with lots of character, and nice photos to boot.

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Boss Kongoni
posted Hide Post
Tonto - Well done my friend! That Bull is excellent!!! [Big Grin]

I glad everything went well for you. I'm looking forward to the Elephant story.

Posts: 980 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Tonto,

I hope it was my casings that held your bullets
Can't wait to hear the rest... [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Mike

Posts: 6767 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Mike
Yes it was your casings with Nicks load specs so looks like both of you were in on the kill!
Thanks Frank I feel nothing can take the place of elephant hunting and I only took a cow. They told me that hunting elephant is special but hard to explain. Thats very true.
Dean

one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto,
Well done. That is a great Dagga Boy! Anyone coming to Africa to shoot a buffalo should aim to shoot one like that. Nice spread (my guess 42"?)and gave you a memorable hunt no doubt.

Cheers,

Posts: 3034 | Location: Tanzania - The Land of Plenty | Registered: 19 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I really like the look of that bull. "Tough Customer", comes to mind. He is going to be quite impressive on your wall. Make sure the angle is right for best effect. Some mounts have to be placed extra high on the wall, to fully appreciate the horn configuration. It doesn't take much for the taxidermist to tilt that nose up a touch.

Ya done real good fella .... Congratulations!

[ 09-22-2003, 15:14: Message edited by: Nickudu ]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
the Buffalo was about 40 inches. I added a slide show try this link.

slide show

[ 09-25-2003, 21:49: Message edited by: tonto ]

one of us
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Tonto,

Awesome old daga boy. Congratulations!

Posts: 1046 | Location: Kerrville, Texas USA | Registered: 02 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
Now elephant hunting was something i wasnt sure i wanted to do. But I was told if i wanted i could take a PAC elephant if I chose to. I decided I would make that decision after Id been there a while.
We spent a few days tracking and looking at elephant. Saw some decent bulls one was probally 45+ lbs. A 68 lber was taken at another camp just before i arrived. I was to take a bull or cow depending on wich animal was found first.
Well when you check the villages they all have a "problem elephant" and must take you to the water and gardens to hope you find tracks and bag their problem. Most places didnt pan out. We saw elephant and sign but no signs of "problems". After a few days of this we cut tracks of an animal with a hurt leg and decided this would be an animal to take. After following the tracks it was plain to see the animal was with many others and the tracks were not as fresh as wanted. So we decided to come back to the same area in the AM and try and cut fresh sign.
The next morning we indeed found fresh sign of a large group in the same area. We headed out on the trail. After quite a hike we heard branches breaking. After stopping it was something how elephant just starting appearing at about 80 yards. The more you looked the more you saw. We glassed the group looking for one of 3 animals an old problem cow, an old problem bull and the one with the hurt leg. It was decided the first to offer a shot was the one i would take. Well the old bull was spotted and as we worked into position the entire group decided to feed in our direction. Well we had to run to the side to keep from being winded an hope they didnt smell where we had been. They came just short of where we were and stopped. They all just stood there fanning their ears and blowing dust. Well the bull was now in the middle. We worked back up and glassed some more the old cow was on the outside offering a decent shot. I took a 60+ yrd almost broadside shot. She stumbled a bit went about 40 yrds and piled up. All hell broke loose as the rest ran every which way screaming out their anger! After what seemed like a long time I put in a follow up shot and the hunt was done. As you can see she was an old dried up cow and was a good animal to cull.
I hope the day comes when I can spend quiet a few days on the trail of a throphy bull. I cant see how it could get any better. I might even use the win mag again!
Dean
 -

68lber tusks
 -
 -

[ 09-22-2003, 21:00: Message edited by: tonto ]