Find
Notify
Tools

How Wide is this Buffalo
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted

I shot this cow in Zim back in 2007. It was kind of a mercy killing in that one hind foot had been snared and was getting infected. She was hanging out near some settlement areas and we were asked if we could track her down and shoot her in case she turned nasty. Well someone asked me the other day how wide it was and I have no clue, maybe 40" though I don't know it the cows have the same head porportions or not.

I figured there are many here who could get pretty close by seeing the pic. Thanks

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I'd say she is very close to 40" if not! But I can say with out a doubt shee is not a commonly configured cow! Her bosses, and are almost grown together, and the bosses are shaped far more like a young bull. I beleive she may have been a hermarphrodite!

It is too bad you didn't have her mounted, because she is a very unusual Buffalo cow for sure!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nice cow

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, Pennsylvania | Registered: 16 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Mac in that this looks more like a bull than a cow by the horn configuration. Imagine the ears in the outward position. They would extend to about 34" in a bull less in a cow. So I would guess 37 to 38".

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BrettAKSCI
posted Hide Post
Good work on the mercy kill. 37-38ish

Brett

DRSS
Life Member SCI
Life Member NRA
Life Member WSF

Rhyme of the Sheep Hunter
May fordings never be too deep, And alders not too thick; May rock slides never be too steep And ridges not too slick.
And may your bullets shoot as swell As Fred Bear's arrow's flew; And may your nose work just as well As Jack O'Connor's too.
May winds be never at your tail When stalking down the steep; May bears be never on your trail When packing out your sheep.
May the hundred pounds upon you Not make you break or trip; And may the plane in which you flew Await you at the strip.
-Seth Peterson

Posts: 4551 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 21 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
There are a lot of big horned cows. It's probably close to 40 inches.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19315 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigBullet
posted Hide Post
This was actually quite an exciting hunt. This buffalo was in an area with lots of other buff and we tried to find it for about 2 hours and 6 miles later we decided we couldn't find it and started heading back to the jeep. All of a sudden, in the thickest bush she was staring at us at maybe 15 yards. I had to move slightly to my left in order to get an opportunity at a quartering on shot. After that everything ended quickly. What a 15 second rush though from basically giving up on the cow, then there she was right in fromt of us and giving the evil eye.

The trackers origionally did think this was a young bull we were after and it was not until the buffalo was down that we noticed something missing. And yes I should have brought the horms home. That part I didn't even think about at the time, it was day three in our 12 day hunt and I hadn't yet taken a bull so we depacthed this cow and off we went again.

BigBullet

"Half the FUN of the travel is the esthetic of LOSTNESS" Ray Bradbury
https://www.facebook.com/Natal...443607135825/?ref=hl

Posts: 1212 | Location: Lorraine, NY New York's little piece of frozen tundra | Registered: 05 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBullet:

compare it to this cow she measured 34"

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
fanatic,

The problem is that you're not using the OFFICIAL PH TAPE MEASURE, that starts at 8 inches. Smiler

Straighten up, dude.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19315 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 375 fanatic
posted Hide Post
jumping
That is why al ph wifes think a cigarette is 12 "

"Buy land they have stopped making it"- Mark Twain

Posts: 914 | Location: Burgersfort the big Kudu mekka of South Africa | Registered: 27 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of shakari
posted Hide Post
It's also the reason women can't reverse a car......... keep coming back darling, you've still got another six inches. CRUNCH Wink