New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on Trophy shipping costs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just recieved my trophys from Zimbabwe last week. The cost for shipping two cape buffalo sculls and a sable scull and hide from Harare to SanFrancisco are as follows. Weight of box, 68 kg,shipped on british airways. Shipping costs 1453.00 us. Coppersmith charges 459.00 us.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunny:
Just recieved my trophys from Zimbabwe last week. The cost for shipping two cape buffalo sculls and a sable scull and hide from Harare to SanFrancisco are as follows. Weight of box, 68 kg,shipped on british airways. Shipping costs 1453.00 us. Coppersmith charges 459.00 us.

Gunny, was the $1453.00 price including the coppersmith fees or in addition?

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just paid $1250 ocean frieght for Kudu,
Bush Buck, Impala, Gems Bok , and stien Bok
all mounts. This was to my door, though New York.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by blaser93:
I just paid $1250 ocean frieght for Kudu,
Bush Buck, Impala, Gems Bok , and stien Bok
all mounts. This was to my door, though New York.

Blaser that's a good price!

Posts: 584 | Location: Blue Island, IL | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blaser- Who did you work through on that?

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The coppersmith charges were in addition to air freight. Total price 1800 dolars. Coppersmith charged 459. for recieving and paperwork.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got the price for my coming shipment: 966€ for airfreight to Finland. I´ll try clearing the stuff through customs myself, it shouldn´t be that big of a hassle and will save me a couple of hundred €`s.

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went through Safari Cargo and then through
Flora and Funa. Airfrieght was $500 more.
We had 11 of us on the trip. My one friend only paid $2000 Ocean for 12 mounts , 3 kudus, 2 water bucks alot of big stuff.

Posts: 1461 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blaser- Thanks- that is the best deal I've heard about. Can we assume you had no issues with humidity/water? Bob Butler.

Posts: 1339 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is so confusing for me. I would like to pick up my crates myself when they arrive here in New York, and give them to my taxidermist when I am ready to, since I'm sure that I'll also have some souvineers in my crate too. Can I claim my crate myself, and how do I arrange this? I appreciate the help!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im sure you can clear customs and fish and wildlife yourself. Actual shipping charges by air arent all that bad. You need your shipper to contact you with all the shipping data ahead of time and with email that shouldnt be all that bad. My paperwork was not done correctly on the zim side as they neglected to enter my sable on the invoice. Coppersmith took care of that as if it was no big deal. It should be noted that fish and wildlife caught the mistake when they opened the crate in SF.

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I just received a quote last week for shoulder mounts of nyala, blue wildebeeste, impala, a warthog should mount coming out of a hole and warthog skull mount. They said there would be two crates and estimated their sizes.

From RSA to Oklahoma via ocean shipment would be $1040 and air would be $1390. This estimate included Flora and Fuana clearing the shipment and delivery to my doorstep. Won't know the actual costs until the mounts are crated for final shipment; however, I thought this was a pretty fair quote. I can only hope the actual cost will be very similar.

graybird

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son & I had several animals mounted in zim a couple years ago. It was 5 crates full - filled about 1/3 of a semi including things like a lifesize 12' croc. anyway we shiped it on ship rather than air - air was over 9000 and ship was 3000. took 1 month to the day to get to chicago and everything came through perfectly.

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanajcj
posted Hide Post
Graybird,
if you have finished mounts you don't need flora and fauna to upcharge you and clear them, if you use safari air cargo they can do it for you and deliver it to your door, flora and fauna is a scam, i'm sure with cities permits and raw trophies they are a big help but otherwise it's just another fee for nothing

LostHorizonsOutfitters.com
----------------------------
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Davy Crockett 1835
----------------------------

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, where else! | Registered: 18 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing seems certain and thats that there is no standard shipping or clearing charge. Knowing what I know now I would always get quotes for clearing and shop around. If it wasnt for forums like this you would never know what anyone else paid. Should clearing costs be 25 % of your shipping bill?? The actual air freight or ocean freight charges seem to be tolerable. Some one needs to start consolodated ocean freight for raw hides and horns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gunny,
So if I want to just have the raw hides and skulls/horns etc shipped to my house, how do I do that? How do you clear these items yourself? THANKS!!

Posts: 6080 | Location: New York City "The Concrete Jungle" | Registered: 04 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I just got my trophies from Zim. a week ago. The crate weighed over 500 pounds for elephant tusks, feet (x4), ears (x2), hid panels (x3), bushbuck skin, skull and horns, waterbuck cape, skull and horns and a lilac-breasted roller ( Cool).
Air freight was around $2,600 which seems in line with above for how heavy the crate was.

It got a little exciting when after waiting a year for the crate to get to the States from Africa it got "lost" in CA for a week but it all worked out fine... with a minimum number of threats.

Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
bwanajcj,
Please check your PM's.

thanks, graybird

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolfgar, Dont know the specifics but I do know taxidermists that clear their own trophys. You have to clear customs and fish and wildlife. It can get complicated with cities animals. There are agents that will clear for about 300.00 US. A friend that is going to africa this year shopped around and will probably save about 150.00. Bottom line is can you take a day off during the week when your shipment shows up to do it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good grief, I would shoot myself. I had 322lbs of kudu, eland, impala, warthog, steenbok, wildebeest, plus the capes and the charges were as follows:
Single entry bond premium $50
Entry fee $140
Fish and Wildlife $55
Storage pending clearance $58.40
International alliance chg.$331.76
Late payment chge. ??? $12.70
Total $647.86
This was with DANZAS AEI Customs Brokerage Services, last October, from Zimbabwe to Atlanta. I went to Atlanta (from Asheville) to pick them up and take them to the tannery in Spartanburg, SC. That saved me about $200 I think. Just FYI.
Doug

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You didnt tell us what the airfreight charge was. Or was it sent by boat. Every clearing house uses different names for the same charges . FYI the US Fish and Wildlife service does not charge to clear trophys as long as overtime is not involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
gunny,
I don't know what they call what, but that was what I paid total for my shipment. Maybe I got a bogus charge on the USFWS?????
Doug

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stay away from Quality Fur Dressing in the Houston Texas area as they are totally a scam outfit. My taxidermist was appalled at the BS.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote